FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who owns US debt?

deanhills
Amazing that China heads the list of those people who own the largest percentage of debt in the US? A different kind of warfare with world financial domination? I picked this up on the Internet:
http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php

I never realized the UK owned a lot of the debt as well, no wonder it suffered as much as the US with the Banking Crisis. But China and Japan are head and shoulders above everyone else. A macro bank of sorts?
mp3songshome
no doubt .. china;s ecnomical condition is threatning the world ... they have largest Foreign reserver .. strong econmic condition and diplomatic approach toward all issues is going to make China a giant.

Even i heard.. Hilary Clinton (foreign minister) went china to sell Treasury bonds or ask for there help to contribute toward bailout plan? kindly correct me if i am wrong.
LumberJack
The US pretty much rebuilt Japan after WWII, that was all financed by the taxpayer.

China does own a very large amount of US debt. The US and China are now economically linked. China has its work cut out for it, in balancing its own growth against the US. If the US runs into problems then China is left holding the bag... i think that is one of several reasons their currency is still pegged.
deanhills
LumberJack wrote:
The US pretty much rebuilt Japan after WWII, that was all financed by the taxpayer.

China does own a very large amount of US debt. The US and China are now economically linked. China has its work cut out for it, in balancing its own growth against the US. If the US runs into problems then China is left holding the bag... i think that is one of several reasons their currency is still pegged.
Interesting to learn that. I did not realize their currency was pegged.

If a country has such a large percentage of loans of the US, does it not imply that it owns quite a large percentage of the US? How would it call in its loans?
LumberJack
deanhills wrote:
LumberJack wrote:

Interesting to learn that. I did not realize their currency was pegged.

If a country has such a large percentage of loans of the US, does it not imply that it owns quite a large percentage of the US? How would it call in its loans?

China would not be able too, that is why US and China essentially have linked monetary policy. They need to be aware of each other constantly. Forex, interest rates, the whole 9 yards... I don't even want to think of the implications of a US default, I hope I am dead.
deanhills
LumberJack wrote:

China would not be able too, that is why US and China essentially have linked monetary policy. They need to be aware of each other constantly. Forex, interest rates, the whole 9 yards... I don't even want to think of the implications of a US default, I hope I am dead.
What would the collateral be? Smile People who have real estate loans loose their houses, what would the US be losing if China should call in its loans? Shocked
LumberJack
Whatever the underlying assets of the financial instrument. There is a lot of things that are most likely unsecured and China would have to eat, but China could also force the sale of many US assets in order to recoup their money.... if the government would allow them Wink That remains to be seen... lol
deanhills
LumberJack wrote:
Whatever the underlying assets of the financial instrument. There is a lot of things that are most likely unsecured and China would have to eat, but China could also force the sale of many US assets in order to recoup their money.... if the government would allow them Wink That remains to be seen... lol
How could the Government disallow them?
matam
Surely, the Government is own yours debt.
gandalfthegrey
Am I the only one concerned that a communist country like China controls the majority of America's debt - America the champion of capitalism.

Anyone who has read or is familiar with the communist manifesto would know that they predict stages in the progression of what they believe is an inevitable collapse of Capitalism. This includes taking advantages of the flaws in capitalism to assist in this collapse.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Am I the only one concerned that a communist country like China controls the majority of America's debt - America the champion of capitalism.

Anyone who has read or is familiar with the communist manifesto would know that they predict stages in the progression of what they believe is an inevitable collapse of Capitalism. This includes taking advantages of the flaws in capitalism to assist in this collapse.
I'm sooo pleased you brought it up, as I have mentioned it a number of times, and nobody responded. I think someone mentioned that it would be impossible for someone to call in the US loans. And that is as much as the debate went at that time. But certainly, for China and Japan to own so much of the US debt, and no one really worrying about it, I can't get it. But then I can't get the easy way 1.2-trillion was voted at the beginning of this year either, without due diligence, i.e. which banks, what debts, how to be sorted out, and then a statement of account every month of what disbursements have been made, etc etc. No common sense about it at all.
Cliffer
gandalfthegrey wrote:

no matter capitalism or communism,to a country and its people,money is the same.
maybe political men care capitalism or communism,but to commonly people,or me,i just care food,house,health,sports and my dog...i even don't know what is capitalism or communism.
deanhills
Cliffer wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

no matter capitalism or communism,to a country and its people,money is the same.
maybe political men care capitalism or communism,but to commonly people,or me,i just care food,house,health,sports and my dog...i even don't know what is capitalism or communism.
Well if you want to vote in elections and be a responsible citizen of your country, maybe it is in your interest to learn more about capitalism and communism and everything that affects your country politically. A democracy means responsible citizenship, how can a democracy be possible when citizens who do not care how much their country owes in debt, basically abdicate their responsibility as citizens when they are voting without knowing what the basics of politics are. That is the equivalent of handing over their power to representatives during election time with no rational thinking attached to it, almost like a blank cheque to their representatives so that they can sit comfortably in their TV chairs for the next four years and criticize Presidents and Governments until the arrival of the next election.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Cliffer wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

Well if you want to vote in elections and be a responsible citizen of your country, maybe it is in your interest to learn more about capitalism and communism and everything that affects your country politically. A democracy means responsible citizenship, how can a democracy be possible when citizens who do not care how much their country owes in debt, basically abdicate their responsibility as citizens when they are voting without knowing what the basics of politics are. That is the equivalent of handing over their power to representatives during election time with no rational thinking attached to it, almost like a blank cheque to their representatives so that they can sit comfortably in their TV chairs for the next four years and criticize Presidents and Governments until the arrival of the next election.

Which is why I advocate a voting test...
Hm, "what's the difference between capitalism and communism?" would be a good question for that test.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Cliffer wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:

Which is why I advocate a voting test...
Hm, "what's the difference between capitalism and communism?" would be a good question for that test.
You're right, this has definitely illustrated the need for a voting test. Maybe people are taking their right to vote for granted. It is not only something that is deserved, but something to be earned as well. Right now the fact that society is not made to be responsible as individuals for its right to participate in Government, it is in effect taking its power and its freedom away. Making Government more into a plutocracy or oligarchy than the democracy it is meant to be.
lagoon
As I've said, the US debt doesn't exist. It is non-money. Merely numbers on a computer.
deanhills
lagoon wrote:
As I've said, the US debt doesn't exist. It is non-money. Merely numbers on a computer.
Maybe it is a Black Hole. The more gets sucked into it, the greater it becomes! There has to be a point where the debt has to consume all of the economy. I still wonder how they balance the books however, as how do the two sides of the balance sheet get to add up with one another?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
how do the two sides of the balance sheet get to add up with one another?

By simply printing more money. Hence, we have inflation.

(Well, not simply. They go about it in complicated ways so that they don't have to call it by that name.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
(Well, not simply. They go about it in complicated ways so that they don't have to call it by that name.)
Right, and then when they explain it, it would be something along the lines of needing a degree or special training in economics, etc. etc. otherwise one is not educated enough to understand it. The only way to prosper it to make enormous debts.