FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft Philippines apprehending team.....

airh3ad
Its is a embarrasing moment when Microsoft apprehending team arrest us for using pirated cd key of windos xp...many internet cafe here in our place get arrested..even the goverment and private offices can't this operation...how about in your place?any reaction please!...
gonzo
What happened to the MS policy of not collecting personally identifying information when running windoze updates?

how'd they find 'you'?
airh3ad
..i dnt know how they find us..Microsoft team come to our place..they tell us to provide a original installer from microsoft! they want the internet cafe to close first then provide a new cd key!
gonzo
Maybe someone using your cafe narq'ed to microsoft. Were you in fact not using licensed copies?

OEM licensing is much less expensive than retail. And with their "gee I didn't know it was pirate" program you can 'upgrade' to a legal license for even less. Very Happy
budazz
yes the whole country is affected by this campaign...all cyber cafes are affected... Smile
hkusp45
Help me understand:

You're angry/confused because the owner of a product demanded that you stop using that product illegally?

If, according to you, the "entire country...all cybercafes" are affected, and they all WERE using the software illegally, why should the rest of us care that you can't get on the web at your favorite coffee shop? Buy the darn stuff like the rest of us! And if it's your whole country, the whole country needs to do the same.
hkusp45
p.s.

I'm sure it was "embarrassing" for you, just as it's embarrassing for a bank robber to get caught with his hand in the vault, or a drunk driver to be pulled over for weaving all over the road. If you don't want to be "embarrassed", don't do anything worthy of embarrassment!

HK
juiceR
Yeah I wonder how they founded you Rolling Eyes Hmm this makes me think do they know what I dl to my pc? Very Happy
hkusp45
Part of the End User License Agreement with XP (with the activation feature) allows Microsoft to do just that. I guess folks should read their EULA's before they click "I agree" when they install software.
psycosquirrel
Interesting.

Microsoft is a bunch of greedy jerks; thats why so much pirating occurs...

I would just play the "I didn't know" card and try to get a license...
gonzo
hkusp45 wrote:
Part of the End User License Agreement with XP (with the activation feature) allows Microsoft to do just that. I guess folks should read their EULA's before they click "I agree" when they install software.

And I'm eagerly waiting for the law to make it through both houses that will REQUIRE software developers to post the EULA on the OUTSIDE of the packaging -- thereby not requiring me to purchase a product prior to giving my assent to the "contract".

cybercafe's need not run Windoze. There are plenty of applications to allow one to run such a company using free, stable linux Smile
airh3ad
gUYS !..Understand us ..its is expensive to buy original microsoft cd..here in our country we have a lot of pirated software etc..but its all running and cheaper ..why should i buy a original if that pirated cd is working? hmm better to used ...in our setuation here its better to buy pirated its cheaper..but i shoyld blame my self couse i agree !
Deji
airh3ad wrote:
gUYS !..Understand us ..its is expensive to buy original microsoft cd..here in our country we have a lot of pirated software etc..but its all running and cheaper ..why should i buy a original if that pirated cd is working? hmm better to used ...in our setuation here its better to buy pirated its cheaper..but i shoyld blame my self couse i agree !

its also going to be expensive if you get into a legal fight with microsoft.. or fined for breaking whatever laws relate to having pirated software.

Linux would be the easy alternative as it should be very easy to find a free distrobution.
n0obie4life
Tell them.

I'll switch to Linux or a Mac.
Thug
n0obie4life wrote:
Tell them.

I'll switch to Linux or a Mac.

LOL Laughing Yea, ****** Microsoft, unstable systems. Linux Powns Microshit by any means
budazz
many internet cafes ...starting switching at linux os...well at least microsoft helps linux to promote the linux Os...

one thing i remember the oem license ....how many computer can you use with that license?... Very Happy
airh3ad
thats true budazz..many internet cafe switching to Linux.mostly our customer here internet cafe dnt know how to used linux..they said its hard to handle mostly elder people, and all the students dnt like linux as of now couse there exercises and assignment theu used microsoft os..
hkusp45
Again, of course pirated software is cheaper. The guy who steals jewelry from people's homes can sell it at whatever discount he likes. How about you stop stealing software. That would be "better".
airh3ad
heheheheh you can't stop stealing ..........
outsyinsy
Microsoft may be the crappiest system around, but it is still the most widespread, hence the popularity. However, most people in this country cannot afford to buy an original license, or think that since there are pirated copies that work just as well, then the money would be better off spent on something else.

I personally know of a software company based here that's currently under heat because they use pirated software.

Microsoft's crackdown is actually a boon for open-source software like Linux. I heard open-source was a lot more stable than Microsoft and less susceptible to bogdowns. That and the fact that since it is open-source, it can be modified to suit your needs.

The biggest problem is that few people know how to use any system other than Microsoft's. I've used Linux a few times in the past, and I still get a little lost. But I guess it's nothing a little practice won't solve.

Given the choice, I'd rather not use Microsoft. Wink
airh3ad
We are free to used any software ..we are not required..hehehe they say Linux is Very safe Operataing System ..yah but its hard to used it ...anyway ..practice...is a must..hehehhee
FrightKnight
airh3ad wrote:

Running and cheaper doesn't mean you have to buy pirated Cds. Use freeware instead. You can't complain about it as unfair. Isn't it you're the one being unfair for using a prirated copy of a product of a company that took time to develop?

Be considerate. If you're using pirated softwares, then don't complain if you get caught. It's the price you pay for using an illegal copy of the software. Save if it's expensive.

Btw, 90% of the softwares I use are freewares.
FrightKnight
outsyinsy wrote:
Microsoft's crackdown is actually a boon for open-source software like Linux. I heard open-source was a lot more stable than Microsoft and less susceptible to bogdowns. That and the fact that since it is open-source, it can be modified to suit your needs.

Yup. A senior of mine told me before that he'd rather use UNIX than Microsoft for corporate servers. He told me that for MS servers, it can go to 60+ days then.... downtime, but UNIX systems could go up to 5 years without downtimes. Well that's just him, 'cause I'm not yet exposed to the IT industry for more than 2 years.

Anyway, Linux is a good choice. A very reliable and fast Operating System. But, i'm using Windows at home 'cause it's user friendly.