FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does a cat go well with fishes?

programitv
Hello,
I do have an aquarium and I am thinking of getting a kitten.. but I am not very sure if they will go very well together. Anyone has an experience alike?
Thanks
Solon_Poledourus
programitv wrote:
I do have an aquarium and I am thinking of getting a kitten.. but I am not very sure if they will go very well together.
I think they go well together, but only if the fish is fried. And you can't overcook the kitten, or it gets chewy. Try serving them with some ruffage, like a spinach salad and a nice vinegarette dressing.
ocalhoun
^ach, you beat me to it...

Anyway, they'll be fine together, just keep a lid (solidly) on the fish tank.
Diablosblizz
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I think they go well together, but only if the fish is fried. And you can't overcook the kitten, or it gets chewy. Try serving them with some ruffage, like a spinach salad and a nice vinegarette dressing.

Sounds tasty! Like ocalhoun said, make SURE you put the lid of the tank back on after feeding, if you feed them. The kitten may be playful, let it go and check out what it is and see it's reaction. If you are really worried, put the kitten in a crate while you're away so you can avoid these problems.

But, see what it's reaction is if it notices the tank, if s/he goes near it then keep an eye out. You could just scare it if you want to completely make it no go there anymore. Smile
Keran
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

Damn it I also wanted to write something like that ;p When I first saw the topic I really thought it's gonna be a problem of that sort ;p

I had a cat and fish myself. Sure the furry creature use to look at the fish a lot, sometimes he even tried to catch them, but the problem was solved by covering the aquarium with something of a lid, just like Ocalhoun said.
Solon_Poledourus
ocalhoun wrote:
Keran wrote:
Damn it I also wanted to write something like that
SCORE!!!
Solon_Poledourus = 1
Crinoid
Depends on cat. I had read about problems with cats, trying to catch fish, but never faced them myself, quite opposite. Maybe this is breed or age specific: mine is grey longhair mix, and I have aquariums since he was 8 years old. It doesn't jump fences too. Active fishercat on photos was reddish tabby, barely above being kitten. Another difference may be that my cat is well fed, and daily foood includes cooked fish, all it can eat.

For a couple of years I kept two tanks on the table near window, where the cat spends most of the time. Open top tanks, fresh and saltwater. No interest at all. More of that, as geese who saved Rome, he yells and alarms up when the fish jumped off or tank leaked. We were able to came just in time to pick up fish, alive and unharmed by cat, and put it back, and restore circulation between tank and sump.

Another guy had concern that his two kitties can jump into the big tank and drown. He made screen top (you know it, same as window screen is made, only with rose winter protection mesh, 1 cm sized cells).
Hogwarts
Crinoid wrote:
Depends on cat. I had read about problems with cats, trying to catch fish, but never faced them myself, quite opposite. Maybe this is breed or age specific: mine is grey longhair mix, and I have aquariums since he was 8 years old. It doesn't jump fences too. Active fishercat on photos was reddish tabby, barely above being kitten. Another difference may be that my cat is well fed, and daily foood includes cooked fish, all it can eat.

Most certainly. If the cat isn't well fed, it can cause some major issues. The breed of cat and type of fish are also important; you need to make sure they're compatible with each other. The age of the cat is another factor in the fish, as it may become to strong in comparison to the fish. Younger cats are generally more open to being with fish.

ocalhoun wrote:

That's a pretty big typo from "deep fryer" Sad
chatrack
Tell them , you are going to be hus & wife soon. So..
natilovesmike
It depends on the type of tank you have. If the cat has easy access to it, it might try and get some of the fish. But you can also try to train your cat not to get near the fish. IT would be hard to do, since the fish themselves are rewarding. You need to find something distracting for the cat to do instead of catching fish. But the main thing is to prevent the cat to get into the tank.
You can out it on a high and isolated surface or make sure the top is cover with a mesh that the cat can't break or put its paws inside.
andysart380
cats dont bother the fish....they dont really want to go into that water so having a fish and a cat isnt anything to worry about
jwellsy
I can't decide if that would call for a red or a white wine.
PatTheGreat42
We had a cat and fish and it worked out well. Of course, I also had a cat and some mice and more than once I had to pull the cat out of the mouse cage. But the mouse survived despite the cat, so I think most animal combinations can work out well.
gcaughill
Keran wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

Damn it I also wanted to write something like that ;p When I first saw the topic I really thought it's gonna be a problem of that sort ;p

I had a cat and fish myself. Sure the furry creature use to look at the fish a lot, sometimes he even tried to catch them, but the problem was solved by covering the aquarium with something of a lid, just like Ocalhoun said.

A lid sounds like a good idea. Our male cat catches mice (we live in country) regularly, I'm sure he'd love the occasional fish too.
Kohi
If the aquarium is covered always, it should be fine.
At my friend's house, she has a cat and large aquarium and all day, the cat would either be in a lap, or on a chair just staring at the fish XD
gandalfthegrey
You are talking as pets, right, and not as dinner? lol
sana618
my friend has a pet shop in Muscat, and when i visited her she gave me a cute little kitten as a gift,
unfortunately for me i had to refuse it as i have too many fish tanks in my room. but i did get a picture of the kitten. here it is.

soljarag
try it ... see what happends and let us know how it goes Smile
programitv
Thank you for the replies Smile. I got the kitten finally, is a sweet white cat with brown spots, will get a lid for my aquarium this week as well. The cat seems quite attracted by the aquarium, lol.. but it is still very young to reach the top of the tank.
Cheers!
Asis
my friend got them both and it worked nice Very Happy
post a pic to see them together Razz
Radar
Glad to hear that you decided to go for it. Very much something that would be funny in principle, but could work in practice.
ArkansasFan02
ocalhoun wrote:

Yea, thats right, the cat won't be able to do any harm, but it might jump up and scare the fish so make sure you have, like a place for hiding.

I have an experience alike, now that you ask. I have a hamster and a dog. I trained my dog to just stay away from the cage. Once my dog tipped the cage over and my hamster escaped!!! But-- we caught her. Then another time, she was in a box while we cleaned her cage and she got out of the box by crawling up my moms arm! But a fish and a cat? Trust me, u will be fine!

Hoped this helps!

~ArkansasFan02
ocalhoun
ArkansasFan02 wrote:

Yea, thats right, the cat won't be able to do any harm, but it might jump up and scare the fish so make sure you have, like a place for hiding.

Also a good point... make sure there's something in the tank the fish can hide in.
ArkansasFan02
No response from the originator? I'm suprised! I want to know if our advice helped!
standready
The cat will enjoy watching the fish. Will keep the cat amused while you are gone. As said, make sure your aquarium (not a little fish bowl) has a secure lid and put something in the aquarium.