FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Travel to Malta

programitv
Anyone has been to/ is from Malta?
What do u think about the island?
Is it worth moving there? Are there any possibilities in jobs for a fresh graduated informatic student?
Thanks
deanhills
programitv wrote:
Anyone has been to/ is from Malta?
What do u think about the island?
Is it worth moving there? Are there any possibilities in jobs for a fresh graduated informatic student?
Thanks
I would love to travel to Malta. From what I have heard it is mostly a place for holidays. Some people go there for diving, so if you are into diving you could possible become a dive instructor? Others teach English as a second language as part of a holiday package. If you are qualified in the hotel industry perhaps there could be possibilities there too. Probably best to Google jobs in advance and to check out the Hotel Websites for recruitment ads.
Solon_Poledourus
Malta actually has one of the oldest monolithic religious temples on Earth. The temple at Mnajdra(pronounced Munaidra) is magnificent, as is Hagar Qim(pronounced Hajar Eem if I remember correctly). Most estimates are between 4000 to 2500 BC, but since there was alot of flooding, mixing layers of ruins together, nobody can be certain as to the actual age of the temples(especially because the temple of Ggantija(Gigantia) is carved from living rock).
What people can be certain of, is the fact that they were built by people who knew what they were doing. These were not their first attempts at building such things. The temples were obviously built by people who had been doing this for long enough to have a legacy of architecture, construction and astronomy. The logistics of megalithic construction 5000 years ago, combined with the fact that the temples have accurate celestial alignments, makes one wonder about the true history of humankind.
Sadly, Malta was also used as a bombing range for target practice during war time, so much of the ruins are... well, ruined. Vandalism was also rampant for a long time, with artifacts being stolen or destroyed.
But it is a beautiful place, with great snorkling and diving as well. The food is delicious, and the language is beautiful. Maltese flows like water, though English is also common there. Arabic and Hebrew are also not uncommon, and strangely, Maltese often doesn't need a translation between Arabic and Hebrew, it is the bridge between the two. It's a Semitic language, written in the Latin alphabet, and spoken with a fluidity that only island dwellers can effect.
Definitely go there if you get the chance. You will not regret it.
programitv
Thank you all for the replies. Solon_Polodourus you really made me curious to visit this place. It is very interesting what you say about the language, it is the first time to hear that.
Solon_Poledourus
programitv wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. Solon_Polodourus you really made me curious to visit this place. It is very interesting what you say about the language, it is the first time to hear that.
No problem. In fact, I think traveling is one of the best things anyone can do. If you have the time and the means to do so, then do it. It's great to see how other cultures live, and I think it's a good way for us all to come closer to understanding each other a bit more. Malta is especially interesting... I didn't notice a huge tourist industry there. There are tourists, but it doesn't seem like it has been commercialized as much as places like Hawaii. The Azores are the same way. I just love islands.