FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best place to live in Europe?

programitv
What do you think is the best place to live in Europe in terms of possibilities to find a job, social life, good weather, traffic congestions.. etc.
deanhills
programitv wrote:
What do you think is the best place to live in Europe in terms of possibilities to find a job, social life, good weather, traffic congestions.. etc.
Depends on your qualifications and personal preferences. I like a sunny dry climate so probably would prefer countries in the southern parts of Europe such as Portugal, Spain, Italy, Sardinia, Greece and its Islands.
supernova1987a
France? Switzerland? I have not been to any of these places, but have heard a lot about them.
paytime
London is a great place to live. Most of the people in the city's surrounding don´t have much money and some of London's high-society lives in beautiful places. There are lots of bars, pubs and nightclubs where you can go to (even during the weeks and whenever you like). Because of the demographic diversity the crowds mix up on the streets and you get to see everything life has to offer. You have the opportunity to find a well paid job and make a fortune as well as very high rent and poor people trying to survive.

I used to live there and I still love London
paytime
by the way...

I´m in Moscow, Russia at the moment. Great place, but very expensive to live Wink
ciureanuc
programitv wrote:

I've been in Spain - Barcelona (a month), a week in Madrid (Spain), a month in Rome (Italy), a week in Paris, a week in Brno (Czech Republic), two weeks in Prague (Czech Republic), a week in Berlin (Germany), two months in Istanbul (Turkey), couple of days in Budapest (Hungary), a year in London (UK), 7 years in Bucharest (Romania), 8 years in Iasi (Romania), the rest of my 31 years in Vaslui (Romania, close to former URSS border).
I don't count couple of days in Bulgaria and Austria.

Best place to live... do you know the latin "Ubi bene ibi patria"? Where you feel good there is your country. Nobody could tell you where is the best place for you.
paytime says London. I spent one whole year in London. As immigrant, without a job, London don't seems too nice.
On the other hand, I had a PERFECT holiday in Paris and I feel Paris as a second home.
But that two weeks in Prague I cannot compare to anything! Prague was the capital of Europe - and you can see this everywhere in Prague...
My order of "best place to live" (I suppose that I will have a steady job and a decent rented home):

1. Paris
2. Prague
3. Rome
4. London
5. Barcelona
6. Vaslui (my hometown) Smile

I don't like the place where I live now (Bucharest) but I have other elements that make it more desirable than Paris, for example: the mother tongue spoken here, a good job, NICE colleagues.
And when you spend 9 hours a day at work, a good job with good people count a lot!
joostvane
You people are all talking about the cities. The topic was about the complete country. The citylife and other parts of the country can be complete different.

I personally live in Belgium. I wouldn't like living in Brussels because there is a lot of crime there, etc. like in every city. However, the place I live now about half an hour from Brussels is a pretty big village with about 10.000 inhabitants, and still very peaceful and a great place to live.
Georgeboy
I should say somewhere in Austria or Switzerland. I like the mountains, the nature, the friendly people... But I think I would also like to live somewhere in Scandinavia. I heard that life is expensive over there, but I heard that people earn a lot more money then somewhere else in Europe...
cemica
I would like to live somewhere in southern or western Europe. These places are most attractive to me. In southern Europe I'd like to live in Italy. Because there are Alps and Mediterranean Sea. In western Europe I'd like to live on England or France, somewhere near to La Manche.

NB: Hopefully everyone understand me, because my English isn't good (that's my opinion Very Happy ).
distantship
Definitely Spain! I don't know much about weather or economy of it but comparing Spain with countries like England, Italy or France etc.. I would choose Spain for people are friendly, things are generally cheap and scenery is gorgeous.
tony
I would say Spain or France - great countries, great people, great weather, great food Smile (especially the last point, for Spain.. mmm)
fx-trading-education
I think that the original questions have requirements that have opposite answers because usually the places with a lot of activity will usually have more people so more traffic congestions for instance.
So you need to find the best compromise for you.
I have been living and working in different countries in Europe and for the work and for good public transport Scandinavia is good. But of course weather won't be so warm.
In southern country you will have warmer weather (sometimes far too much), more activities but probably more stress, people more nervous.
So depends on what are you priorities.
deanhills
fx-trading-education wrote:
I think that the original questions have requirements that have opposite answers because usually the places with a lot of activity will usually have more people so more traffic congestions for instance.
So you need to find the best compromise for you.
I have been living and working in different countries in Europe and for the work and for good public transport Scandinavia is good. But of course weather won't be so warm.
In southern country you will have warmer weather (sometimes far too much), more activities but probably more stress, people more nervous.
So depends on what are you priorities.
Which countries in the southern parts of Europe would you favour?
aakoj
Spain is very good
cemica
I prefer to live Sweden, Estonia(there I live), Swizerland, Great Britain, Norway, Germany, Spain
sigT
Best place to live in Europe is Scottish Highlands in the UK. Although Scotland in general is also an excellent place to live. People here are great. Maybe prices are not so great, but you've got this fresh Atlantic air, this cleanest water, and the climate is close to the mild English one. Whenever you live in Scotland, you may visit mountains and lakes every weekend.

The worst place to live I've ever seen is Côte d'Azur on the French coast of Mediterranean sea. People are running into severe car pollution problems there. Besides, boats of the rich crowd spoil sea water with exhausts. So, swimming in the sea is discouraged.
LimpFish
Scandinavia, ofcourse. And yes, it is expensive, but yes, average pay here is I think higher than in most places. Plus everything is clean and well looked after, not a lot of crime, etc.
deanhills
sigT wrote:
Best place to live in Europe is Scottish Highlands in the UK. Although Scotland in general is also an excellent place to live. People here are great. Maybe prices are not so great, but you've got this fresh Atlantic air, this cleanest water, and the climate is close to the mild English one. Whenever you live in Scotland, you may visit mountains and lakes every weekend.

The worst place to live I've ever seen is Côte d'Azur on the French coast of Mediterranean sea. People are running into severe car pollution problems there. Besides, boats of the rich crowd spoil sea water with exhausts. So, swimming in the sea is discouraged.
Isn't it cold though? And wet at times?
sigT
deanhills wrote:
sigT wrote:
Best place to live in Europe is Scottish Highlands in the UK.
Isn't it cold though? And wet at times?

It is a few degrees colder than England, and it may be very wet in the mountains. However, in my opinion the best place to live does not have to have beaucoup de soleil, as there are many other nice things about Highlands.
ciureanuc
Hey, I must add a city to my top posted above: Hamburg.
I've spent 5 days there and I loved every minute.
I will add it in top 5 of my favourite cities. Smile
fatosshala
Definitively Switzerland
sigT
fatosshala wrote:
Definitively Switzerland

Just any place in Switzerland, or some particular part? I visited Montreux some time ago. What a marvelous time it was! A bit expensive though. Wink

P.S. From the fact that you wrote "definitively" rather than "definitely", I guess you are from the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Is this so?

Cheers Smile
lagoon
Paris is beautiful, and has lots of jobs. Why not?
biljap
There is a lot of great places in every country but I believe that Sweden, Switzerland and, for example, Germany, are the best places to live.
kelebek
check republic is the best
Christ0phe
A good balance between mountains and swimmable sees make it all for me ! Not too far from the mountains, not too far from the sea. SW of France, NW or NE of Italy, Slovenia, Andalusia,...
Christ0phe
I have also found this survey report by an Indian Journalist:

1. Zurich, Switzerland
The most cherished destination on earth is Zurich with a population of 376,815. The place is also known as the commercial, financial and cultural hub of the country. Located at the northwestern part of Lake Zurich, close to the River Limmat, this city is considered as the paradise of earth. The splendid Zurich boasts of over 2,000 bars and restaurants along with a magnificent view of the Alps and Lake Zurich. The beautiful scenic views and excellent living standard of Zurich entitle the place with a nickname of "City of Best Quality Life."

2. Vienna, Austria
The hub of Austria's political, cultural and economic activities, the capital city offers excellent education and infrastructure. Added in the UNESCO World Heritage List, Vienna is the largest city of Austria. The exemplary lifestyle of Vienna bags it the second position among the top ten places to live in Europe.

3. Geneva, Switzerland
Popularly known as the city of 'Unfading Beauty', Geneva is located between the Lake Geneva and Mount Saleve. The stunning rose gardens of this city are famous all over the globe. Due to the heavy presence of U.N. agencies and organizations, this small city is all set to go global with private banking facilities, hospitals and international schools. Geneva ranks third among the best living places of Europe.

4. Dusseldorf, Germany
Located on the bank of River Rhine, Dusseldorf is among one of the gracious cities of Germany. The city has built up its infrastructure and international transport connections and has an abundance of consumer goods and is considered the fashion and shopping capital of Germany. This top notch city has a thriving economy with some of Germany's largest companies and important centre for banking. Dusseldorf also serves as the headquarters for many of the Ruhr's businesses. It is also among one of the richest cities in Germany and is famed for being the hometown of the supermodel, Claudia Shiffer.

5. Munich, Germany
With a population of 1.3 million, Munich is the fun city of Germany. The laid back attitude and easy going life of Munich can spoil anyone. Well known for its annual beer festival, the city also enjoys a flourishing economy, driven by the information technology, biotechnology and publishing sectors.

6. Frankfurt, Germany
Frankfurt is one of the most modern towns of Germany is well known for it skyscrapers, international airport and as the financial capital of Europe. This financial hub has some excellent hospital, shops, and booming economy. One of the wealthiest cities in the European Union, it is among one of the superb and exotic holiday destinations.

7. Bern, Switzerland
Bern is among the most charming towns of Switzerland. Located on the banks of River Aare, the city promises a lot of attraction and surprises to the visitors. This German-speaking part of Switzerland is one among the safest cities. Surrounded by densely wooded areas and mountains, Bern is not a crowded city. The city lacks in nightlife but it does have excellent medical facilities.

8. Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen is among the largest city in Denmark with a population of over 1 million. It is also known as the cultural center for the country featuring art, music, theater and design. Though the standard of living is pricey here but the party never stops for those who are looking for a swinging time. Education and medical facilities are excellent in the city but the congestion drags it down to its overall ranking.

9. Amsterdam, Netherlands
May be many of us would like to live in Amsterdam because of the red light districts and liberal policy on drug use. On the other side, Amsterdam is culturally rich and music is an essential thing that reflects in its daily life style of Amsterdam people. Fun loving and merry-making is the USP of people here. The city has some best canals, parks and museums, and the best selection of international schools in Europe. However the ranking of the city is dragged down due to lack of city center housing and air pollution.

10. Brussels, Belgium
Brussels is among the most beautiful Belgium cities. It has a wonderful cultural life, especially with its numerous theaters and cinemas. This administrative center of European Union is well connected with rest of the Europe with excellent transportation system. Brussels is an accessible, bustling, business and political hub that also manages to retain a strong sense of history and culture. The education system of the city is highly appreciated. However, the heavy traffic and air pollution is the major drawback of the city.
lagoon
Here in Britain. It's so easy to get in, it's unbelievable!
deanhills
lagoon wrote:
Here in Britain. It's so easy to get in, it's unbelievable!
I'm not so sure what you mean? Do you mean to get to visit the country, or get to stay? And why do you think it is easy?
ronbonzo
No one has mentioned Ireland, either the republic or the north. Anyone? A great-great grandson of a potato famine refugee would love to know.
sigT
ronbonzo wrote:
No one has mentioned Ireland, either the republic or the north. Anyone? A great-great grandson of a potato famine refugee would love to know.

Where was your ancestor from? I visited the South (Cork and Kerry counties). Long long time ago Skibbereen in West Cork had severe famines and, consequently, migration. Nowadays it's more prosperous than it used to be. Smile

Dingle peninsula in Kerry is also lovely. From my experience, these places are nice to live, although depending on what would be your business there. There is A LOT of farming and some hi-tech, especially bio, industry. There has recently been some decline in the latter.
Christ0phe
I liked Ireland so much the 3 times I went there for leisure. Only the weather makes me reluctant to establish myself there. So nice beaches close to the mountains, friendly people, secluded spots, thrilled cemeteries, abandonned photogenic churches and abbeys in the middle of nowhere, in fields surrounded by cows and no tourists, warm athmosphere in pubs where all people of all ages are sitting side by side listening to the music bands. Really a good experience. But is the weather so freaked even in the summer. I was on the beach in Connemara last July, it was sunny but cold (16°C) and the beach was so nice, water clear, sand dunes. I could not avoid making a dive in this unspoilt ocean. I could not stand the 13-14°C water more than 3 minutes and the irish people on the beach were all wearing pullovers and jackets.
Definitely a recommended country for me!
Stolich
joostvane wrote:
You people are all talking about the cities. The topic was about the complete country. The citylife and other parts of the country can be complete different.

I personally live in Belgium. I wouldn't like living in Brussels because there is a lot of crime there, etc. like in every city. However, the place I live now about half an hour from Brussels is a pretty big village with about 10.000 inhabitants, and still very peaceful and a great place to live.

I live in Bruges, a small city of around 120.000 inhabitants, but it doesn't has as much crime as other bigger (and even smaller) cities. It's ok to live here, social security is very good etc, only the weather is a real drawback since it can be so damn dull!

Somewhere in southern france would be nice I guess. Smile
rogue_skydragon
Britain is definitely the place to be. I lived in London for about 4 months....I fell in love with it. The city is full of exciting clubs, pubs, and music venues, and the people are friendly fun to be around. I was with a bunch of 20-somethings most of the time, but I can tell you that the city is quite diverse. It an international cross-roads. It's easy to get around thanks to the Underground and the buses, and if you want to plan a weekend holiday to another country, 5 airports are located throughout the city making it easy to get away. The Eurostar is there as well if you want to take a trip to Paris (amazing city that I think equals London in excitement).

It's a bit expensive sometimes, but if you're looking for something fun, London is where you want to go.
bmcbryan
ronbonzo wrote:

Ireland is a great place to live, but is suffering quite a bit from the Recession. The economy in Ireland was extremely strong for the last 10 years, and hence it was probably the worst hit by the recession. There are some positives - prices for property/rent, food etc have come down hugely from the dizzy heights of a few years ago. Jobs are hard to get in some sectors such as construction, but Ireland has a booming IT sector which has continued to flourish throughout the recession. All of the big IT companies - Google, Microsoft, E-bay, Intel, etc have huge European bases in Ireland because of the low taxation regime, and the high quality of graduates.

Ireland is very cosmpopolitan, probably the highest proportion of immigrants from every corner of the world, but particularly Eastern Europe. This makes for a very vibrant society. Don't expect to find too many potato farmers these days - more likely web-farms, or wind-farms!

The weather can be quite unreliable, but you never get extremes of heat or cold - just be prepared for lots of rain.
jaimie13purple
hmmmmmmm... this is a tough one.

If I had to choose, then I would pick Norway. It's soooo pretty there!! I've never been (but I'm saving up!) but my friend has and if her pictures are anything to go by, then its immense.

Unfortunately, I don't know which part of Norway she went to Sad

Hopefully I will have enough money pretty soon (only £170 to go!!) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Saian
programitv wrote:

Although I have not lived there myself, I believe the best place to live in europe would be crete (grece). It might sound odd, but the economical struggles that greece is currently facing are not at all present out of greece's main cities. If you dont mind working hard to create your own business, small villages in crete could be the perfect place to live. The weather is amazing, living there is great... Tourism is the Best option for a source of income (hostel, restaurant, etc...)
Kaitaye
Taking into account the food and the beauty of the country, I recommend Poland and other Slavic countries in the euro zone. Here only a matter of financial bother. It's hard to find a good job, but as I succeed - to live, not to die.

England, France, Germany - better work, a pretty good atmosphere.

Sweden, and other related are the best in terms of work.
zimmer
fatosshala wrote:
Definitively Switzerland

I like Switzerland even though i just read some feedback on the forum and i did not visit there personally.

I have already made a survey or poll on " BEST COUNTRY TO LIVE?" and the result is Europe here is the link http://fastsurvey.org/list-of-surveys/9-country

but this is a good question on which part of Europe..
ShannonHBC
Northern countries of course. I'd love to live in Finland or maybe Sweden. Best countries in the world.
zaxacongrejo
Lisbon or barcelona if you looking for a "californian" style
you have beach almost 6 months a year
beatifull girls and lots of them
nice jobs well payed to engeniers
not very expencive homes
nice optic fiber networks all over the place
freedom to be and do what you want
8 days of night life a week
friendly people lots of english speakers
lots os people from all over the world
nice cars for afordable prices
not huge citys so you dont need to drive for hours in very crowded roads
samanyolu07
1 Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen is among the largest city in Denmark with a population of over 1 million. It is also known as the cultural center for the country featuring art, music, theater and design. Though the standard of living is pricey here but the party never stops for those who are looking for a swinging time. Education and medical facilities are excellent in the city but the congestion drags it down to its overall ranking.

2 Amsterdam, Netherlands
May be many of us would like to live in Amsterdam because of the red light districts and liberal policy on drug use. On the other side, Amsterdam is culturally rich and music is an essential thing that reflects in its daily life style of Amsterdam people. Fun loving and merry-making is the USP of people here. The city has some best canals, parks and museums, and the best selection of international schools in Europe. However the ranking of the city is dragged down due to lack of city center housing and air pollution.

3 Brussels, Belgium
Brussels is among the most beautiful Belgium cities. It has a wonderful cultural life, especially with its numerous theaters and cinemas. This administrative center of European Union is well connected with rest of the Europe with excellent transportation system. Brussels is an accessible, bustling, business and political hub that also manages to retain a strong sense of history and culture. The education system of the city is highly appreciated. However, the heavy traffic and air pollution is the major drawback of the city.
milkshake01
I think Finland is the best place to live in Europe. They have the world's best education system.
LxGoodies
Quote:
best place to live in Europe

Terschelling ! Very Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadden
slimviking
ShannonHBC wrote:
Northern countries of course. I'd love to live in Finland or maybe Sweden. Best countries in the world.

Nobody discuss the beauty of the country, but maybe those places are a little too cold !
Nick2008
I would say Switzerland because it's a very safe, modern, developed country that is conveniently located in Europe. Switzerland borders France, Germany, Austria, and Italy and those countries are only a few hours drive from Switzerland. The Czech Republic is located right in the center of Europe and it would be a great home base for a business that does business in both Western and Eastern Europe. So for living, I would say Switzerland, for convenience and location, I would pick the Czech Republic.
dude_xyx
If you are not big on night life or parties and love nature then I think rural areas of France and Switzerland would be nice. Housing and food would be cheaper. Fresh air and less noise.
jajarvin
ShannonHBC wrote:

Milkshake01 wrote:
I think Finland is the best place to live in Europe. They have the world's best education system.

I agree.
Newsweek magazine recently ranked Finland as the best country to live in:
Newsweek wrote:

The American newsmagazine's study, published in mid-August, examined living conditions in 100 countries around the world. In the magazine’s analysis, Finland was judged to be the best. The analysis examined factors such as education and health care, quality of life, economic dynamism, and political environment.

Finishing after Finland were Switzerland and Sweden. The United States was in 11th place. The final three were the African nations Burkina Faso, Nigeria, and Cameroon.

The analysis of educational systems used factors such as the international PISA studies, as well as measures of efficiency and the educational level of the population at large. In this, Finland was in first place, followed by South Korea and Canada, which were in a tie.

dude_xyx
Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Belgium. There small towns and villages where everything cheaper and less noise and fresh air.
kaysch
I have visited most European countries, but I have to say I still like my hometown Hamburg, also because it is completely underrated.

It belongs to one of the wealthiest regions in Europe. In terms of inhabitants it is No. 14 in Europe, bigger than Warsaw, Barcelona or Prague. It has a big harbour, has become rich through international trade and also has a big media community. It is green, relaxed, traffic flow could be better but is still bearable. There is a river and also a big lake in the city centre, inviting many people to go sailing or rowing in summer.

In terms of finding a job Hamburg is OK, the unemployment rate is at 7,6% (as of July 2013).
There is a phantastic pub and outdoor events scene, especially in summer.

In winter Hamburg sucks, it is located too far in the North. Weather is grim, just about zero with a lot of humidity.

And yes, there are many Germans living in Hamburg. Wink

Tourists start liking the city. Visitor numbers are constantly on the rise.

If you want to get an idea, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/Hamburg
fuzzkaizer
if you look for a place to live in europe, in first place you have to decide, which is more important to you: high social standards on the on side, and a nice climate on the other side... for better education, better payed jobs, more security etc you would choose the northern parts, that is scandinavia, denmark, the north sea shores (but not england or ireland, of course).

For a better climate you have to go to the mediterranean sea, everywhere from greece to portugal (that is atlantic shore, though) you can find nice spots, you have there mild winters, seaside, and also mountainside occasionally, also interesting and quite big cities, and the traditions in food and dishes there is unbeatable. Economically these regions are not really in the best situation, especially for jobs there is lots of unemployment. So if your wallet is fat enough you will have a nice "chalet" somewhere in the mediterranean seaside, traditionally preferably in the south of france, where are places for rich people to gather...
75alex
I live in and love Paris, however it might not be the best city in the world to live in. I find it better than London though (lived a year close to it), but maybe it's just that i'm French xD.
From cities i saw, i would say that living in south of Europe is not that great at the moment, maybe north of italy like Milan or Turin would be nice, however it lacks beaches. Swiss might be a great place to live in, however never been there so i can't tell Smile
ethan_brown
Well i am not from Europe but have travelled some times in Europe ( UK,Russia,Germany). The most famous place rather i would say city that i would love to visit again is London.Great site view ,rich attractions.
oliviafoster01
Portugal, Italy and Spain are the best option to live in EUROPE.