FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


The 'iceman' trail. Intense 4x4 fun!





ocalhoun
The 'iceman' trail is a 4+ difficulty rated trail (out of a possible 5), located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. With my new trail rig (more details about that in the vehicles forum), I participated in this huge annual spring-opening trail run.

My rig:

Showing off a little of the flex it has; it has plenty more to give even now:

The passenger in this Ford rod with me most of the way:

The rest of these photos are of some of the better built rigs taking on an obstacle known as 'first rock' or 'Jason's rock'. I wanted to have more time to get used to my rig before I went down that way.
A very nice Willys Jeep starting to climb:

A Toyota based buggy in the same spot from a different angle:

A Jeep Cherokee doing surprisingly well, but still having some trouble, and threatening to flip over:

A new JK 4-door Wrangler on its way in to the obstacle. It will make it over with ease, but not with enough clearance... that rock has a few new scratches now.

This TJ Wrangler had problems, but good driving overcame them. For a lot of the time, this Jeep was only on 3 wheels, but it did impressively well for a mostly un-modified vehicle:
ocalhoun
A couple more pics from that same day, getting ready to go:





The next day, going on the camp 5 bypass trail, a easy trail that parallels and frequently crosses an extremely difficult trail:



Kashinilaya
Thrilling pictures! It seems you're back to the fun! I'm glad to know!
andysart380
yeah man glad to see that machines taking you anywhere..when you first got it and posted i was hoping it was gonna work out for you and it looks like it has so far..more power to ya, keep havin fun out there.
Marcuzzo
now that is a nice hobby.
I wish we had the terrain here to do that stuff
adri
Marcuzzo wrote:
now that is a nice hobby.
I wish we had the terrain here to do that stuff


We probably have that terrain in Belgium (I would say Houffalize, Dinant,...) but it wouldn't be allowed to ride their with your 'rig'.

Very nice pictures indeed, but one question though: How much Horsepower does such a car have?



Adri
ocalhoun
adri wrote:

Very nice pictures indeed, but one question though: How much Horsepower does such a car have?


Probably around 200hp... The engine is a 5.9L Dodge V8, which would have more power than that, but it is old... then again, it is upgraded in various ways. It would take a lab test to find out for sure.

Horsepower isn't important in 'rock-crawling' though. Torque is important.
The big V8 is torque-heavy to begin with, and is helped by very low gears in the transmission, transfer case, and differentials. The large tires, however, reduce the ratio- so the torque applied to the terrain is only adequate, not overwhelming. (By adequate, I mean enough to push 5500 pounds of steel up a 70 degree slope.)
silverdown
That does look fun and possible dangerous too..... even better Laughing
Ghost900
Those are some nice photos. That looks like it would be exiting. They look like over-sized ATV's with large tires.
tchaunt
You certainly have one nice hobby. I didn't even know such a thing existed until just now, but it sure as heck looks like it would be enjoyable. Perhaps I'll try this out when I get older (and get enough money to modify a car to deal with the terrain).
kutekitten
That looks like a lot of fun... I really wish we had that type of thing near where I live. We're basically a flat surface lol. It doesn't really sound like something that could be classified as a hobby...
ocalhoun
silverdown wrote:
and possible dangerous too.....

I used to have a jeep... until a 20ft cliff collapsed underneath it, and I broke my back...

Ghost900 wrote:
They look like over-sized ATV's with large tires.

Well, the design principles are similar when you want off-road performance above all else, no matter what the size of the vehicle.
(And using a generous definition, they are all-terrain-vehicles... Indeed they deserve the name more, because they can go places where ATV's can't.)

tchaunt wrote:
You certainly have one nice hobby. I didn't even know such a thing existed until just now, but it sure as heck looks like it would be enjoyable. Perhaps I'll try this out when I get older (and get enough money to modify a car to deal with the terrain).

It doesn't actually take that much... My rig cost $3800. Some of the ones pictured here cost less than $1000, while some of the nicest ones pictured probably set their owners back $50,000 or more.
But, besides buying/building a rig, there are other costs that make it an expensive hobby; any good off-road truck will use a LOT of fuel, and the saying is "God forgives, rocks don't" Damage to rigs is very common, and sometimes very expensive to repair.

kutekitten wrote:
That looks like a lot of fun... I really wish we had that type of thing near where I live. We're basically a flat surface lol. It doesn't really sound like something that could be classified as a hobby...

It does require the terrain to be right... Flat areas have mud-bogging, but mud trucks are a simple case of bigger=better, while rock crawlers like these have to balance size with maneuverability, ground clearance with tip-over angles, et cetera. Also, rock crawling requires more driving skill than mud. More onerous than the lack of good terrain though, is that in highly populated areas, there will be no difficult trails open to vehicular traffic, even if the terrain is suitable.
taytay
i wanna do rock crawling like this so bad! My 2x4 1990 jeep wouldn't last a little hill though Sad If it were 4x4 I'd be more willing to put money into it to fix it up Very Happy and if it got more than 10 to the gallon... If only car parts never went bad D:
deanhills
Amazing hobby. Wow! A few of the vehicles look as though they have been assembled from a scrap yard. I can imagine one would have to be very dedicated, also have tons of patience and perseverance to stick with a hobby like this? Great though that people could work together in making opportunities like this available for those who are all similarly possessed! Smile The noise of all the vehicles together have to be deafening! Is there a video available of them in action? Looks as though it is deserving of a YouTube production.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Amazing hobby. Wow! A few of the vehicles look as though they have been assembled from a scrap yard.

Some of them were! ^.^
Quote:
I can imagine one would have to be very dedicated, also have tons of patience and perseverance to stick with a hobby like this? Great though that people could work together in making opportunities like this available for those who are all similarly possessed! Smile

Not as much as you might think... Building a rig takes patience and hard work, but buying one is easy, and if you're fabulously wealthy, you can pay someone else to fix it when (not if) you break it.
Quote:
The noise of all the vehicles together have to be deafening!

Not really... Unlike race cars, most of these rigs keep normal exhaust systems, and none of them are intentionally loud. Mine is one of the louder ones because it has short pipes, no catalytic converter, and a racing-style muffler, but even then, only the rigs immediately in front of or behind me could really hear my engine. (It's just loud enough to make a very satisfying rumble, but not loud enough to be obnoxious... Actually, the worn out front springs and the loose sheet metal on the body make more noise than the engine when they squeak and rattle.)
Quote:
Is there a video available of them in action? Looks as though it is deserving of a YouTube production.

This is on a different day, but at the same place. You may recognize the exact spot from several of the pictures in the first post here.
(The first few attempts fail boringly, but once it starts to climb, it gets interesting.)
deanhills
Thanks for the Video. Darn! That rock was really in the way. Any rules against using explosives to get rid of rocks like these in addition to navigating? Or does one get special points for negotiating the rocks like the guys did in the video? Quite awesome really. Smile
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
This is on a different day, but at the same place. You may recognize the exact spot from several of the pictures in the first post here.
(The first few attempts fail boringly, but once it starts to climb, it gets interesting.)

Wow, quite an impressive video. At first I thought they would never get on that rock. Then I thouht they were avoiding it, but I was wrong, it was simply finding a better way to get on it. Must be a very fun hobby you've got there, Ocalhoun. Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Or does one get special points for negotiating the rocks like the guys did in the video? Quite awesome really. Smile

Of course one gets special points for it!
If you don't want to climb over rocks, you should be driving a normal car on a normal road.
Everybody in the off-road clubs gets upset anytime someone removes an obstacle on a trail to make it easier.

(It would be like leveling a mountain so that you could climb to the 'top' of it without going uphill... The challenge is what makes it fun.)

Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
This is on a different day, but at the same place. You may recognize the exact spot from several of the pictures in the first post here.
(The first few attempts fail boringly, but once it starts to climb, it gets interesting.)

Wow, quite an impressive video. At first I thought they would never get on that rock. Then I thouht they were avoiding it, but I was wrong, it was simply finding a better way to get on it. Must be a very fun hobby you've got there, Ocalhoun. Very Happy

Why avoid a little boulder like that?

To give some perspective, here's the 'camp 5' trail. The second set of pictures is from the 'camp 5 bypass', which parallels this trail.
Two very good rigs climbing the 'big waterfall' near the end of the trail. Not many rigs can manage it, and even then, it makes veteran drivers very nervous. Only a couple people in history have managed to do it without winch assistance.

deanhills
I really like the Camp#5 video. Awesome show! Looks like a good variety of solid rocks. Also a nice Jeep. This one looked almost effortless.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
This one looked almost effortless.

That's the magic of a 10,000lb capacity winch! ^.^ (On a truck that probably weighs around 5,000lbs.)
andysart380
i wanna find myself an old military international with the cummins diesel and creeper gears..those things would walk up a friggen tree. i was surprised to find that my dodge dakota (v6 3.9) has 3.55 's she can push or haul more than i thought
deanhills
andysart380 wrote:
those things would walk up a friggen tree.
I know you meant this as a joke, but I was wondering seriously whether that could be next in line of interesting hobbies? Driving up trees? Maybe Ocalhoun can tell us whether that could be on the cards? Laughing
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
andysart380 wrote:
those things would walk up a friggen tree.
I know you meant this as a joke, but I was wondering seriously whether that could be next in line of interesting hobbies? Driving up trees? Maybe Ocalhoun can tell us whether that could be on the cards? Laughing

It does happen actually, although they don't reach the top. Wink





deanhills
Hilarious! Long time since I have laughed like this. Laughing Am positive that Ocalhoun's rig with its interesting spider wheels would be able to reverse up a tree as well. Laughing
ssweat
awesome pictures, im soo jealous. I love my jeep and love offroading. Nice rigs, I like the scout, what size engine are you running in it? Tire size and lift also? I have never been to Douth Dakota but it looks like alot of great climbing, we have lots here in az but a change of scenery is always nice.
Flakky
Those pictures look amazing. It looks like fun as well driving like that Razz
tufekoa
silverdown wrote:
That does look fun and possible dangerous too..... even better Laughing



I would try that sort of stuff in my backyard for sure!!!
tufekoa
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Or does one get special points for negotiating the rocks like the guys did in the video? Quite awesome really. Smile

Of course one gets special points for it!
If you don't want to climb over rocks, you should be driving a normal car on a normal road.
Everybody in the off-road clubs gets upset anytime someone removes an obstacle on a trail to make it easier.

(It would be like leveling a mountain so that you could climb to the 'top' of it without going uphill... The challenge is what makes it fun.)

Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
This is on a different day, but at the same place. You may recognize the exact spot from several of the pictures in the first post here.
(The first few attempts fail boringly, but once it starts to climb, it gets interesting.)

Wow, quite an impressive video. At first I thought they would never get on that rock. Then I thouht they were avoiding it, but I was wrong, it was simply finding a better way to get on it. Must be a very fun hobby you've got there, Ocalhoun. Very Happy

Why avoid a little boulder like that?

To give some perspective, here's the 'camp 5' trail. The second set of pictures is from the 'camp 5 bypass', which parallels this trail.
Two very good rigs climbing the 'big waterfall' near the end of the trail. Not many rigs can manage it, and even then, it makes veteran drivers very nervous. Only a couple people in history have managed to do it without winch assistance.




I once had myself one of them convertibles! They sure rock the nation! but the suspension geez!!
Now sure ain't what it used to be....4x4
pscompanies
Wow that's super-cool. Thanks for posting!
joeygrapes
ocalhoun wrote:
The 'iceman' trail is a 4+ difficulty rated trail (out of a possible 5), located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. With my new trail rig (more details about that in the vehicles forum), I participated in this huge annual spring-opening trail run.

My rig:

Showing off a little of the flex it has; it has plenty more to give even now:

The passenger in this Ford rod with me most of the way:

The rest of these photos are of some of the better built rigs taking on an obstacle known as 'first rock' or 'Jason's rock'. I wanted to have more time to get used to my rig before I went down that way.
A very nice Willys Jeep starting to climb:

A Toyota based buggy in the same spot from a different angle:

A Jeep Cherokee doing surprisingly well, but still having some trouble, and threatening to flip over:

A new JK 4-door Wrangler on its way in to the obstacle. It will make it over with ease, but not with enough clearance... that rock has a few new scratches now.

This TJ Wrangler had problems, but good driving overcame them. For a lot of the time, this Jeep was only on 3 wheels, but it did impressively well for a mostly un-modified vehicle:
speeDemon
wow, those wheels are like totally 'off' the vehicle!!
guissmo
Wow. That's cool. I've never heard of that type of hobby up until now.
Sounds like an expensive but awesome hobby.

Do people design this individually or as a team?
karlosgwapo
joeygrapes wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
The 'iceman' trail is a 4+ difficulty rated trail (out of a possible 5), located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. With my new trail rig (more details about that in the vehicles forum), I participated in this huge ddannual spring-opening trail run.

My rig:

Showing off a little of the flex it has; it has plenty more to give even now:

The passenger in this Ford rod with me most of the way:

The rest of these photos are of some of the better built rigs taking on an obstacle known as 'first rock' or 'Jason's rock'. I wanted to have more time to get used to my rig before I went down that way.
A very nice Willys Jeep starting to climb:

A Toyota based buggy in the same spot from a different angle:

A Jeep Cherokee doing surprisingly well, but still having some trouble, and threatening to flip over:

A new JK 4-door Wrangler on its way in to the obstacle. It will make it over with ease, but not with enough clearance... that rock has a few new scratches now.

This TJ Wrangler had problems, but good driving overcame them. For a lot of the time, this Jeep was only on 3 wheels, but it did impressively well for a mostly un-modified vehicle:


I just like the vehicle and it's awesome
ocalhoun
guissmo wrote:
Wow. That's cool. I've never heard of that type of hobby up until now.
Sounds like an expensive but awesome hobby.

Do people design this individually or as a team?

Most trucks out there are built by an individual... Even when it is a team, that usually means it's just a father-son team, or a couple of buddies who help each other out.

In the highly competitive levels, there are teams of mechanics for each rig though.
Helios
So awesome. I'd really like to try participating in one these sort of motor outdoor sports, especially the ones which take more strategy than speed. I bet it's really fun!

I do remember your post about the crash, hurts just to remember than one.
I'm glad you're back doing this sort of things and that the injury hasn't affected you Smile
kemal44
offf omg very very nice jeep Very Happy
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Frihost users -> Personal Pictures Gallery

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.