FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Psuedo Frames in IE

friscofrankie
Using the below Stle attributes in a linked css I am able to build a nice navigation bar on te righ with a title that stays put allowing the main text body to scroll beneath. In Firefox/NS.Moz

Code:

title-box
{

position: fixed;
   top: 0;
   left: 0;
   width: 100%;
   height:120pt;
   z-index: 2;
}
.nav-box
{
   top: 100pt;
   left:0;
   display:block;
   bottom: auto;
}
.main-box
{
   display: block;   
   position: absolute;
   top: 100pt;
   z-index: 1;
}
.footer
{
   bottom: 0;
   left: 0pt;
   display: block;
   width: 100%;
   font-size: 10pt;
   line-height; 12pt;
}

In windows the "fixed" value doesn't work. it behaves as an absolute with the added bonus of making my drop-down menus from the nav bar display under the main body inline images and over rht text. By changin the value to "absolute" the menus display above the main body text and images. Of, course, this then scrolls off screen. The added bonus is that the footer now displays in the middle of the main-body and scrolls nicely along as well.
I have placed the footer in the main-body text but this requires three, soon to be more, identical entries and eventually will entailthe maintenance of multiple files. It also causes the footer to be truncated and display slightly to the right instead of across the full width of the view port.
Currently I am running two pages depending on the browser and expect this may always be so but i would like to regain the "psuedo frame" behavior cross-platform.
ANy ideas?

FF
Grimboy
I suppose you could combine this with this and a browser detection script.
friscofrankie
Looks like it might help. Now if I can adapt it to control header, footer and menu, I'll be sitting in tall cotton. At this point I'm just maintaining two pages one for the majority and one for the smartfolks. Spent too many hours in academic pursuit of the elusive yellow-breasted sulfur-crested IE-fixed header/menu/footer looney. Need to get this site up and running. Maybe tweak and peek then implement this in the next iteration.

Thanks,
FF