FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Emulate slow connection in apache

leontius
How do you do it? I am developing a website which sizeable number of prospective audiences are on slow (perhaps ~56k dialup) connection, so I need to check whether it loads fast enough...
Diablosblizz
I don't believe it is possible. Although, there may be a way with a program. You might be better off installing a OS in a Virtual environment, and finding a program that can limit the speed of your internet.
leontius
Good idea, diablosblizz! So instead of limiting the server, we limit the client speed by using a bandwidth-limiting proxy.

I found iprelay package for ubuntu which seems to do this... will be trying it on.
Agent ME
On Linux, the program trickle can limit the bandwidth of a program. I guess you can just use it on firefox and then try to load the site. (The link is a little page telling about how to use it to limit apt-get. I assume using it on firefox would work just as well.)
Hogwarts
You could always try a proxy server; those generally work all too slowly to be useful, but might be useful for what you're wanting Sad
Josso
I agree with Agent ME on the solution. You are being rather generous, most web developers don't pay much attention to the still existing 56k users on the Internet today. To be honest neither do I Laughing
sheedatali
Agent ME wrote:
On Linux, the program trickle can limit the bandwidth of a program. I guess you can just use it on firefox and then try to load the site. (The link is a little page telling about how to use it to limit apt-get. I assume using it on firefox would work just as well.)

Why not just use simple iptables rules with throttle. Create packet queues, and drop/RST overflow, should be able to achieve what ever rate you want.
leontius
Agent ME wrote:

I tried trickle. It does limit the bandwidth but there are always bursts (ie. 20kb/sec in 1 sec, then 1kb/sec afterwards). Maybe I didn't configure it properly (it has options for smoothing something I don't understand).

Josso wrote:
I agree with Agent ME on the solution. You are being rather generous, most web developers don't pay much attention to the still existing 56k users on the Internet today. To be honest neither do I Laughing

Don't assume that all markets are the same. In US or Europe it's probably fine to do so but here I'm doing it for Indonesia where broadband is a luxury of certain major islands.

sheedatali wrote:
Why not just use simple iptables rules with throttle. Create packet queues, and drop/RST overflow, should be able to achieve what ever rate you want.

It might be simple for you, but I don't know how Razz
harismushtaq
I had a similar problem once when I was designing a video conferencing application. If your hosting is rich on bandwidth, then this mean that you only want to check how the website loads on clients that have limited bandwidth. To do this, on your client computer, start continous pings to different servers. Like of you issue 10 simultaneous ping commands, a 1MB DSL connection will get congested. Now you can load the site I hope you will get a bandwidth similar to dialup. Add more ping sessions to slow it down further. It worked then and I am not sure if it work in your case. Just a hack.
froginabox
trickle (mentioned above) works, the other way (if you're coding static pages) is if you are using Dreamweaver, I'm pretty sure it gives you an estimated load time in seconds for different connections (I could be wrong). You could also just estimate how much bandwidth you think your viewers will have, and then simply divide the total of all page elements by that and get approximately how many seconds it would take for them to load it.
Agent ME
leontius wrote:
Agent ME wrote:

I tried trickle. It does limit the bandwidth but there are always bursts (ie. 20kb/sec in 1 sec, then 1kb/sec afterwards). Maybe I didn't configure it properly (it has options for smoothing something I don't understand).

It looks like the -w parameter can help stop bursts. I think if you set it to a lower value, it'll be good (it defaults to 512 KB). Think this command line should do it (with 50 being whatever KB/s speed you want):
Code:
trickle -s -d 50 -w 100 firefox