FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stellarium

evilgeniuself
Does anyone here use Stellarium to see what is overhead at the time in your area? I've been using it for a few months now, and have found it useful. It's shown me things I didn't know were there (such as the Dubne system), and has helped me get a better understanding of the sky (of which I don't know much). Still, what do you guys think of Stellarium (if you've used it)?
Auctus
Run it, love it.

You might also find of interest:
http://www.sky-map.org/
Google Earth also has a sky viewer, as well as the moon and mars
NASA WorldWind does what google earth does, but it did it a long time before Google, and also has many unique features.

Lastly, Microsoft WorldWide Telescope is probably going to be fantastically amusing considering that it does everything Stellarium does, is also free, but is vastly more complex. Too much involved to describe here in any detail. I recommend you check it out. One word of warning, though: it has some issues with ATI graphics cards.
Voodoocat
Stellarium is great! The veiws are very much like what you would really see through a telescope. I really like the ability to zoom in and out to a set field of view. The field of view is a great help when "star hopping": moving from one area to another in order to locate items, rather than using a computer controlled mount.
Bikerman
It receives a *highly recommended* from this poster as well.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
It receives a *highly recommended* from this poster as well.

<.<
I'd prefer the grandeur of the real thing.
If I'm for some reason in the mood for virtual star-gazing, I'll just use one of the many computer-based tools, celestia being the software of choice.
tony
I use stellarium and Celestia! Both great apps, and both Linux-64-bit-friendly Smile
rodrigokg
My College use the Stellarim to teach pre-school kids about the universe, star and galaxyes.