FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Possible hard drive problem





inphurno
I had a technical question I want to ask, I'm using windows XP and sometimes I hear like a ticking noise coming from my tower, some of my friends said that my hard drive is about to crash, is this true? aslo suddenly sometimes my computer freezes and there's nothing you cant do about it except press the power button.

If thats true I have to start thinking about changing my old hard drive with a brand new one,. so my next the problem would be that I have incomplete torrent files in the current hard drive and I want to transfer these files to the new one without losing the downloaded part so that i could resume the download on the new hard drive as if it was like before. how I can do i fix all of these problems?

any help would be greatly appreciated, you can pm me or its better to post the answer here thanks! Very Happy
Diablosblizz
Well actually it could be a lot of things. Mainly it could be your hard drive (especially if you add in the computer freezing) or it could perhaps be one of the fans. I've had a lot of clicking noises, I've ignored them and it ended up killing my fan.

If this happens very often then try taking out the drive and just leave the computer on (doesn't matter if it's on Windows) or you could do a live-boot of Ubuntu to get the processor up and thinking getting the fans to spin faster.

Just to be on the safe side, I would personally start backing up data if you are really worried about it. I hope this helps.
ocalhoun
inphurno wrote:
I had a technical question I want to ask, I'm using windows XP and sometimes I hear like a ticking noise coming from my tower, some of my friends said that my hard drive is about to crash, is this true? aslo suddenly sometimes my computer freezes and there's nothing you cant do about it except press the power button.

If thats true I have to start thinking about changing my old hard drive with a brand new one,. so my next the problem would be that I have incomplete torrent files in the current hard drive and I want to transfer these files to the new one without losing the downloaded part so that i could resume the download on the new hard drive as if it was like before. how I can do i fix all of these problems?

any help would be greatly appreciated, you can pm me or its better to post the answer here thanks! Very Happy


A hard drive problem is extremely likely, but it may not actually fail anytime soon.

Your plan of action to save the partial torrents:
1-install both hard drives (old and new) at the same time
2-use a backup program (like DriveImage XML) that does bot-by-bit backups to transfer the old drive's data to the new drive. The program I mentioned is free, and includes an option to do this. You can use a different program, but make sure you get one that works bit-by-bit, not file-by-file.
3-remove old hard drive, and set the BIOS to boot off of the new one, if needed.
4-boot up, and everything will be just like it was before.
macky
there's a lot of possible reason to your problem. Well anyway your friends got their point, maybe your hard disk is about to crash but when you said that sometimes it freeze and you can't do anything to it aside from pressing the restart or shutdown button, that problem is about you RAM...
prithvi
It could possibly indicate a failing drive.

But before doing anything, do also check whether your hard drive is attached properly.

I had the same situation sometime back (ticking-whirring sound and the system just freezing), and it turned out to be a broken pin on the Y-cable, which I used to connect a third drive to my system.
Jamestf347
Yes, it could be your hard drive. A lot of things could cause this problem (and it's not weird if your hard drive is making noise). It could be even your fan rubbing something, Or you could be hearing something from the motherboard. But make sure you run chkdsk or some utlity . And BACK UP YOUR DATA, I can stress that anymore.
inphurno
thanks everyone for the suggestions i will try them and i'll give you some news after
inphurno
ok so I bought a new computer which was one way to fix the problem Smile but this never fixed the problem which I posted about. I recently had a chance to go back and look at all the comments people posted for this problem.

So I tried just running the computer of a live cd of Ubuntu and most of the clicking stopped. There was still a bit but there was a lot less then before. For that program, DriveImage XML, I never heard of it but i don't see whats the difference of copying files or copying bytes shouldn't you get the same results?

I don't know how to check if my hard drive is attached properly, i have pushed the cable to the max and i cant jam it anymore into the hard drive. I don't know what you mean by "broken pin either"...

I thought there was just pins on the hard drive, there are also pins in the cable? If so how could i go and check if they are ok or not? Is it visual or something else?
Jamestf347
inphurno wrote:
I thought there was just pins on the hard drive, there are also pins in the cable? If so how could i go and check if they are ok or not? Is it visual or something else?


on the outside of the hard-drive connecter ya there's pins, inside there's platters and a arm that writes the data onto the platters .
Parkour_Jarrod
I think it may have been your harddrive, but i will also point out, that torrents have destroyed a few of my harddrives in the past the constant writeing and over writing causes the platters to burnout...
inphurno
Jamestf347 wrote:
inphurno wrote:
I thought there was just pins on the hard drive, there are also pins in the cable? If so how could i go and check if they are ok or not? Is it visual or something else?


on the outside of the hard-drive connecter ya there's pins, inside there's platters and a arm that writes the data onto the platters .


ok well the "pins" on the outside where the data cable plugs into the hard drive looks to be ok from what i can tell but i don't know exactly what its supposed to look like there was nothing in the manual for that

for Parkour_Jarrod's comment i can't say that i download a lot of torrent recently and even not in a long time for that matter since i have been concentrating on other things but i used too in the past so that could explain why maybe the drive is damaged a bit but not really its not working like i described,
Related topics
Hard drive problem?
HP Pavilion G6 Hard Drive Problem
Problems with hard drive
System Crash = Proccessor Destruction
IDE Hard Drive Controller not recognizing my Drives
good deal on hard drive
Linux on external hard drive question.
Computer problem - Hard drive cable error
Segate Hard Drive service centres in India
laptop hard drive overheating
Hard drive inside a hard drive?
Vista will not recognize my new SATA 2 hard drive
Reallocating Hard Drive Space in Windows XP
Cloning a Hard Drive
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.