FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The lord of flies

darrell
this book is really an exciting book. It is about a group of boys who managed to survive after plane crash. The ending is that 2 boys were dead. Quite a nice boy. Encourage to read.
mirzapirza
good summary Very Happy

It's, uhm, pretty disgusting (not in a tasteless way) and frightening to read how the boys form their competing clans.. Definitely a good read.
bigdan
It's a decent book...I had to read it for English class in High School (I was in the top class)...and even watched the B+W movie of it! Very Happy
Nameless
I read it a while ago... I though it was very well written and interesting.
JagatWorld
I heard about it ....... is it also available on e-book copy ?
Eyre
i just finished reading it for my English class. I skipped ahead of the class : P, but i do think it is a decent book.
JagatWorld
oh, is there a movie on this book ? can you name it please....... ??

Rolling Eyes
otaku
I had to read it for english class.
It's a well written book, and it keeps your attention.

Definantly not my absolute favorite, but it's still a classic.
Ioana
Darwinism and fight for superiority strikes civilized children! Liked it!
gh0stface
Ioana wrote:
Darwinism and fight for superiority strikes civilized children! Liked it!

Don't forget, you also have the mob mentality too! Which is kind of scary since the mob mentality in that book can also be seen in real life situations.
gnomme
darrell wrote:
this book is really an exciting book. It is about a group of boys who managed to survive after plane crash. The ending is that 2 boys were dead. Quite a nice boy. Encourage to read.

excelent book!!!
supjapscrapper
darrell wrote:

Hey that's a kind story! lol!
it has reminded me of the song "house of flies" you know it?
brightskies
I have no idea bout the song.. but the book was really interesting.
Shows how anarchy can bring chaos and immorality.. even to young children.

Poor Piggy.. Sad
lycadia
I apologize if no one else finds this at all funny, but every time someone mentions the Lord of the Flies (which I agree is compelling and psychologically insightful if dark and at times distasteful), I think of my mother.

Which I realize sounds very strange, until I elaborate. At some point in a class, my mother had been required to read it and absolutely hated it. The scene where they first manage to kill a pig -those of you who have read it will know exactly what I mean- deeply upset her and she remembered it with revulsion for decades. The comical part is that she was convinced that that scene with the spear and the pig was in Lord of the Rings rather than Lord of the Flies. She insisted that the Rings Trilogy was dreadful and I shouldn't read it because of she insisted that whole pig scene was in Lord of the Rings and was perpetrated by Urakai (forgive me if I'm misspelling that) in front of the hobbits. I have no idea how she got them so completely confused while remembering the details of the scene so perfectly in other respects but even when I brought both books home to try to show her she was thinking of Lord of the Flies, she refused to listen at all.

I still smile and miss her when I think of that. I don't have much to add in the way of analysis of the book that hasn't all ready been said and I while it's an important and skillfully crafted book, it will never be one of my favorites, perhaps because it does touch too close to home with my own sometimes dismal view of human nature.
Olivia Wood
You know, I really envy all you guys who had to read it in school. How come we never get to read anything interesting in class? Sad The closest we get is Animal Farm, and honestly, there's only so many times you can read even that before you want to bang your head into the wall.

I looooooved that book. But then I tend to like cynical things, being fairly cynical myself. And who doesn't like their personal philosophies substantiated?
pevensie
That's an excellent book, as is Animal Farm. It's kind of horrifying and quite intense, but the symbolism is amazing.
Xcelerate
I don't like books that don't end happily. It was an entertaining plot but nevertheless pointless. (Symbolism doesn't mean a thing.)
vlnjodie
There is an interesting discussion on one of my favorite radio shows about Lord of the Flies. It is on the Diane Rehm show.

http://wamu.org/programs/dr/

Just do a search for Lord of the Flies. Great book.