FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PC or Laptop

andredesignz
I was thinking with should i have PC, Laptop or both, well i think is smart to have have both if you can afford it.

1. PC is for home use and if i can say "ONLY"
2. Laptop can go anywhere

Anything thing else to had?
Triple_7
Depends what your looking to use them for really.

Laptops are mostly good for anything normal people would need and like you said, conveniently portable. I really miss my old one just for that reason. Crying or Very sad

Desktop PC on the other hand is almost a must if looking to run higher end games, plus they are much easier to upgrade as things progress or fix if hardware problems occur.

If you need or want the best of both worlds, have a high end desktop at home and a fairly decent laptop for everything else and travel. Wink
deanhills
Desktop PCs to me are always more solid than laptops. I like the big LCDs we have these days with high resolution screens, as well as comfie keyboards. I can watch DVDs with my desktop almost to the same standard as my TV. I did briefly try a laptop, but found it a standby, but not a replacement alternative. I eventually gave it away to someone I thought needed it more than I could do justice to it. I don't have a fancy desktop. A generic one, but with good generic parts. Another plus of a desktop is that it is much cheaper in cost. When I travel it is always easy for me to find an Internet Cafe, and it's kind'a fun to play with some of the desktops. I think my preference for desktops over laptops has to do with the present design of laptops. They would have to design laptops much better and lower in cost for me to find a place for it like my cell phone.
Insanity
I like the mobility and versatility of laptops, but you usually get more bang for your buck with a PC. With the cost constant, generally PCs outperform laptops. It's also easier to build your own PC than your own laptop, which means that it's also easier to replace and upgrade parts. What you're mainly paying for is the ability to move it anywhere you need to, which can be very important. This is where you have to decide for yourself what you will mainly be using it for. If it's for work or school where you have to take notes or do presentations, a laptop would definitely be a better choice.
Hogwarts
Insanity wrote:
With the cost constant, generally PCs outperform laptops.

You could argue that laptops designed with efficiency and portability in mind, and thus you would have to define a criteria of what your "bang" is to equate which really is better. I assume you're meaning processing power, but there's vastly more to computers than simply how many oscillations per second your processor can handle Sad

To me, a combination of both is the best for my situation. I need to do high-end video editing and graphics editing quickly, but I also need to do things whilst I'm out and about for 8+ hours at a time. Basically, I increase my overall production by having both anyway, with that additional money paying for having both options (and more), so my expenditure there is easily justified.
misha9090
PC Is better i think so couse i have laptop to but i dont so use it
desonium
I have a laptop and a computer, but my computer is too slow, so I am using my laptop more at the moment.
But when you need to buy a new laptop or computer I should buy a computer, because you have a much better computer for the same price as a laptop.

When you have money to buy both, I should buy them both, because a laptop is handy when you are away from home.
Crazy_Canuck
I was a slow convert to the laptop, but now that I have a laptop, I don't think I will ever have a PC again. With the wireless feature, my favourite place to be on the computer is on my couch in the living room. My laptop has spoiled me.
mwsupra
It really depends if you need it or not. I've never had a laptop that keeps a good charge for a while, so I hate always having to take the adapter with me. Which is why I only have a PC. If can build a PC it would be cheaper, as I haven't even tried building a laptop Razz
Hogwarts
mwsupra wrote:
I've never had a laptop that keeps a good charge for a while, so I hate always having to take the adapter with me.

See, that's one of the major problems people seem to have with laptops Sad

They don't realize that by buying the highest-possibly powered laptop it's going to chug through power exceedingly quickly, meaning it's only useful for when you do things such as Crazy_Canuck, and restrict its usage to single-building/room mobility.
driftingfe3s
If you want something with more power you should go with a desktop, otherwise you'll end up with a big heavy laptop. If I were to get a laptop I'd get a netbook. I don't need much power on the go and only would use it for things like word processing and the internet. With more CPU and graphic intensive stuff I'd buy a desktop. Desktops are more easily upgraded too.
HamsterMan
For mobile computers I'd definitely go with a netbook, especially now when you get 3G just about anywhere, and for a lot cheaper than a regular DSL.
Arty
I would want a laptop, since I'll be doing more traveling.
rockacola
Desktop is your mothership, avoid getting a laptop as a replacement of desktop.

If you need mobility, THEN start considering a laptop of your need: mobility, duration, style or performance.

I sold my mid-end laptop half year ago and get a iPhone instead because I do not need a high performance machine anywhere, but need much greater mobility and durability (battery life).

So yeah, pick a laptop to your need and never use it to replace your desktop.
standready
Lots of good discussion here. I have a desktop and a laptop. Laptop is for trips. I prefer my desktop. First less cost for BANG! Easy upgrade/add-on. Was very easy to a digital television tuner to the desktop. Laptop battery does not hold up well . So if you really, really need portability and can only afford one, get a laptop otherwise go desktop.
airh3ad
I go for the laptop very good for traveling.
shkumbin
It depends what you are looking for, if you are on the movw a lot or go to school and want to take the laptop with you then get one (and now they are cheaper than ever), if you mainly stay home (like a lot of us i believe) than get a PC.
spring567
Laptop is usefull,I think.
SyHz
laptop is zoft Very Happy
RipperGOD
Now a days they make crazy config laptops so Laptop would be wise choice.
Asap170
I would choose a Desktop PC because I will most likely be like another Bill Gates. I look up to him and going to need a massive hardrive maybe like two 2TB HDDS.
Arty
I'd prefer using an external hard drive then.
bigt
I have both a desktop and laptop that I use at the office. I do primarily use the laptop. The choice should really be based on need. The portability is the main reason for using a laptop vs. desktop for most things. I don't need a top machine or large screen just to run a browser, word processor, and email. However, I keep an old desktop around the office as a backup machine and a box I can remote into after hours. I'd use a desktop full time if I didn't need the portability.
snowynight
I have 2 pcs and 1 laptop at home and one pc in my office.
Now I seldom use my laptop because it is not convenient for home use.
And I hardly go on business.
So in my opinion the choice of computer types all depends on what tast you will use it for.
tony
Insanity wrote:
I like the mobility and versatility of laptops, but you usually get more bang for your buck with a PC. With the cost constant, generally PCs outperform laptops. It's also easier to build your own PC than your own laptop, which means that it's also easier to replace and upgrade parts. What you're mainly paying for is the ability to move it anywhere you need to, which can be very important. This is where you have to decide for yourself what you will mainly be using it for. If it's for work or school where you have to take notes or do presentations, a laptop would definitely be a better choice.

I totally concur. Very well put! (I have both desktop and laptop Smile
hamza1122
PC's are better in general but laptops are good if its just quik browsing and not for storing a lot of files onto them. It can be your gaming laptop and ur pc can be ur research and browsing stuff computer.
SpellcasterDX
I would honestly want both, if I could afford it. Desktop PC for homework and serious stuff, and a laptop more for goofing off and taking everywhere so I can have something to do.
Jaan
You can build a decent desktop for well under $1000

If you find a good deal on a netbook you can get a good one for $200-300.... that's what I'm gonna do in fall. netbook + desktop for university Very Happy
achowles
If you've got mobility as a primary concern then obviously the laptop is the only real option.
Otherwise I'd recommend a desktop. Even more powerful desktops are cheaper than a laptop. They're easy to upgrade. Easier to replace something should it go wrong.

I'd strongly advise you build it yourself. Most computer manufacturers have some dodgy practices and cut corners where they shouldn't. On that note, make sure you get a decent PSU too. Most people think that it's all about the wattage, but a low quality PSU can damage your system. That's one of the main problems with PC manufacturers.
Dean_The_Great
I own a laptop because my business takes me on the road a lot, and it's handy to have my computer with me all the time. Otherwise, if I were at home and stable in one location, I would probably just have a desktop, because then I can get a better computer, a nice big screen, and not have to worry about upgrades and repairs.

But, if you need portability, you don't have many options around it... you need yourself a laptop. Or, if you really like your desktop and would prefer to keep it around, get your desktop the way you want it and then chuck out a few hundred bucks and get yourself an eepc. Tiny little laptop perfect for the casual user on the road! And not very expensive!
ankitdatashn
I would say both have their own use, in terms of portability no one can surpass a laptop, and when utility extension comes into play then desktop has its own arena. In laptop you can't gurantee whether it would work with all the printers, peripherals or not but in desktop near all devices can be attached owing to its large port support.

But when it comes to computing on the move then the laptop is booked for sure. On your laps and get set go...

Personally I prefer laptops.
the-guide
I more prefer using my desktop pc at home, laptop or notebook seem uncomfortable for me.
However, I always use notebook as well, it's mobility when I have to travel. I must have both
of them. Fortunately, nowadays both desktops and notebooks are not too expensive. Smile
mattyj
we have recently downsized from a desktop PC to a laptop...

we dont play games or anything (have PS3 and Wii for that), and the portability the laptop gives us is great...plus we also have mobile internet so we can go camping and still stay in touch with the world
shkhanal
I need a PC for my home desk and a laptop for me when I'm out.
Zombie
Definitely PC.. a desktop runs faster, cooler, and it's easy to modify/repair.
Stormrage
I'd have to say both. The desktop is preferred at any location in which it's accessible but the laptop plays a significant role too.
Pepperfan
Get the desktop if you want performance and durability. the laptop is going to be slower due to the slower hard drive. Laptops always die first. Even the most conscientious laptop user will drop or "set it down to hard" once or twice and that will shorten/end its life. One more thing that will shorten the life is that laptops run hotter.

Get a laptop also if you must but I would see if work will pay for it.

Charles
ForceRun
Bunch of good post. I totally agree with most of you. Desktop is still the way to go. You get the higher end hardware, more space, Large LCD, and a real keyboard and mouse combo. I really netbooks are the right way to go. They give you basic access to the internet, word processing, and movies (low quality though). It really takes some cash to get more than that out of a laptop anyways. A basic laptop that would work for me is $1,000 from Dell, and I would spend about $400 on a netbook for the same use. My problem with them still is the small keyboard, and screen. There are things that desktops do that laptop don't, or not very well. So I'm always going to stick with my desktop.
Asis
pc i better i think if u ask me, but then it is nice to have a laptop around Razz
malcolmpreen
Desktop has better keyboard, mouse and screen... and is typically more expandable...

Laptop can have keyboard, mouse and screen added (if you don't like the standard), you don't have to work IN the office...

At the end of the day, it all depends what you prefer....

Malcolm
eshazz
Ok if you want the laptop here is what I think,

Laptops are good for mobility and taking on a vacation, you can buy powerful laptops but most end up dying and you have to continuously spend money on them.

Desktops are good for everything as long as you have the knowledge for them, if you don't take it to your local computer store and they will sort it out. I suggest as much ram as you can get and clean it regular, don't let it get clogged up. If you are planning on running high demanding games I recommend the nVidia GTZ 295.
william
eshazz wrote:
Ok if you want the laptop here is what I think,

Laptops are good for mobility and taking on a vacation, you can buy powerful laptops but most end up dying and you have to continuously spend money on them.

Most end up dying? If you take care of it and buy something with a proper cooling system, a performance laptop can run for years easily.

By the way, a good thing to point out about high end notebooks is that ever since the 8800m GTX came out, there has been VERY little improvement in mobile graphics. Even the latest GTX280m, which really doesn't even deserve that name because it's only a little faster than an 8800m GTX and not even close (performance or architecture/design) to the desktop GTX280. Mobile processors aren't too bad right now, though. The QX9300 (2.53 GHz quad with overclocking if the notebook supports it) and X9100 (3.06 GHz dual with overclocking if supported by the notebook) are at the top of the mobile spectrum. Not bad, but then again, ever since Core i7 these chips don't stand a chance. Oh well, at least you can get a notebook with a desktop Core i7 processor. Wink
Beny
Laptop but might gt nicked so both just incase and you could use gotomyPC to acces your PC from anywhere i use gotomyPC i bought it it never expires and you can send Ctrl Alt Del's to it and if anyon is in your house. SPY On Them WA HA HAAAA. lol over reacting Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

- Beny

Edit: lol i got 10 Frit$ for posting cool
menino
I think the in-thing that should come into the foray of technology are Tablet PC's.
They are small, light, convenient (I guess the touch screen will take getting used to, like the keyboard and mouse).

But I think that tablets are the way to go.
Now with the lenovo tablet X200 and thinkpad T400 models out, with multifingertouch access abilities, will be really great to work with.
We shall see.
blueray
I think this day will have no different at all.
The only different between them was how long it could operate on.

Anyone now could installed at least 2GB or above on both platform.
This allows almost all operations on it even video capturing or editing.

- Eric
mshafiq
I would like a PC because I have a laptop but my son (age: 3 Years) do not leave it spared. Overall laptop is costly as well.

So I thought I would buy a PC.

In my mind I think it should be at least P4 2.4GHz 1GB RAM.

I need guideline from where should I buy it. or any better suggestion.
I live in Montreal (Saint-Laurent).

Thanks in Advance
sajeebr
you know you have to pay double the price to get the same capacity laptop as desktop.

and you can't upgrade easily as in desktop. parts are cheap and easy to upgrade on your own.
mshafiq
sajeebr wrote:
you know you have to pay double the price to get the same capacity laptop as desktop.

and you can't upgrade easily as in desktop. parts are cheap and easy to upgrade on your own.

you are right and yesterday, I bought a PC with following specs just for $60.
Processor: Pentium 4, Speed: 2.26GHz, RAM:512MB, Hard Disk: 40GB
Audio/Network port/VGA are built in the motherboard.

It is really amazing deal. It is bought from a shop in Montreal who sells second hand/used PC. [Entrport et service 9699 St laurent, www.pc1.ca]

You will wonder that (as I mentioned in some other posting) that if I would buy it from some person it could be of $120 as people are selling costly than these kind of shops.

Anyway, Thanks a lot.
miniman17
If your going to be moving around alot the laptop would be way better but overall a desktop computer is usually better in its specs so it is usually better for high end stuff like gaming and video editing a laptop is not really designed to do high end gaming or video editing
chatrack
It depends only on your needs. If you a home worker you need a Desktop only.
If you are in a field work job that needs presentation to clients on his/her office
you can depend on lappy.

I preffer to use PC at home, becouse if I get lappy that will make me
completely sitck to computer, which can affect my health Laughing
aningbo
Code:
Desktop is your mothership, avoid getting a laptop [b]as a replacement of desktop[/b].

If you need mobility, THEN start considering a laptop of your need: mobility, duration, style or performance.

I sold my mid-end laptop half year ago and get a iPhone instead because [b]I[/b] do not need a high performance machine anywhere, but need much greater mobility and durability (battery life).

So yeah, pick a laptop to your need [b]and never use it to replace your desktop[/b].

what on earth?

why?!!!!??? just because u dont feel comfortable using the laptop's mousepad that doesn't mean u dont stop using the good old computer?

or is it the price factor? laptops are getting pretty cheap.
Arty
I don't feel like laptops are mobile enough.

For those of you that own low to mid end laptops, how long does it usually last?
adrenaline
andredesignz wrote:
I was thinking with should i have PC, Laptop or both, well i think is smart to have have both if you can afford it.

1. PC is for home use and if i can say "ONLY"
2. Laptop can go anywhere

Anything thing else to had?

Choose a good PC, please.
I dont like laptops.

Mostly becouse of the small screen and the touch pad (The touch pad is REAAAAAALLY annoying).
Now you can buy a mouse to it but I still prefer a PC.
You get much better graphics in games and they are simply more powerful.
babarus
i think that nowadays is the same think to have laptop or desktop.
there are advantages and dezavantages for both but .... both do the same things ...