FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Can u get chicken pox more than once?





andredesignz
Right now infected by the disease 5 days now and i was wondering if i can catch it ever again but guess what you can get chicken pox more than once. It depends on how bad you get them the first time and on your immune system.
Also, if you haven't ever been exposed to chicken pox and you are around someone that has "shingles" then you could get chicken pox. If you have had chicken pox and is exposed to shingles and don't take basic universal precautions (hand washing) then you could get the "shingles". By the way, shingles hurt really bad from what I have been told by people that have had them.
By the way, if you are pregnant and expose you unborn to who ever has them (within 3 feet) then you risk your unborn's health.

Thank God i didn't get the shingles
redslazers
andredesignz wrote:
Right now infected by the disease 5 days now and i was wondering if i can catch it ever again but guess what you can get chicken pox more than once. It depends on how bad you get them the first time and on your immune system.
Also, if you haven't ever been exposed to chicken pox and you are around someone that has "shingles" then you could get chicken pox. If you have had chicken pox and is exposed to shingles and don't take basic universal precautions (hand washing) then you could get the "shingles". By the way, shingles hurt really bad from what I have been told by people that have had them.
By the way, if you are pregnant and expose you unborn to who ever has them (within 3 feet) then you risk your unborn's health.

Thank God i didn't get the shingles


No, you cant well i dont think you can but if another starin could mutate during your lifetime you could potentially get it again
andredesignz
Well thats what i want to hear thx much Slazers
HamsterMan
Yes you can have it more than once, but when you get it as an adult it is called the shingles. The virus that causes chicken pox, Herpes zoster, is never cleared from the body and might reoccur, although it is rare.
Triple_7
Rare but yes, as far as I know rarely in adults, mostly children. I had them twice, a light case when I was about 3, and a worse case when I was about 6. Confused
deanhills
HamsterMan wrote:
Yes you can have it more than once, but when you get it as an adult it is called the shingles. The virus that causes chicken pox, Herpes zoster, is never cleared from the body and might reoccur, although it is rare.
Agreed. In addition, the shingles can be really bad for adults and put them out of action for literally weeks. Much worse than chicken pox.
Futile
You can have them more than once. I had them twice when I was 12. I had them for almost a week, Saturday thru the following Thursday, stayed home from school on Friday so I could play in a soccer game on Saturday. Played, won and then that night broke out again and was out until the next Sunday. And I missed a bigger game that following Saturday. Go figure.
As someone already mentioned chicken pox for an adult are called shingles. If you get them as an adult you can expect to be in the hospital the first week and laid up for a few more. Most childhood diseases can be fatal for an adult.
Fatality
From what I have been told; you can get them twice if you don't get them that bad the first time. Also, the older you are the more likely you are to get the shingles. So I'm told. I was lucky and got the 'chicken pox' when I was very young. Have never worried about getting them again.
HamsterMan
I still find the idea of having a virus festering in my nerves for the rest of my life (it is the same for most herpes viruses) quite repulsive, even tough they are harmless most of the time. It'd be great if we found a cure for it once and for all.

Also, does anyone have information if getting vaccinated against chicken pox is the same as planting the virus in the body yourself, that is that it will still reproduce, or is it like a regular vaccination that your white blood cells will learn how to detect and destroy the virus before it can get a foothold in your body.
deanhills
HamsterMan wrote:
I still find the idea of having a virus festering in my nerves for the rest of my life (it is the same for most herpes viruses) quite repulsive, even tough they are harmless most of the time. It'd be great if we found a cure for it once and for all.
Could be that virusses like that strengthens our immune systems. We build up anti-bodies. I now understand from Fatality's point why one would not get it again if you had a really intense chicken pox virus the first time round. Probably your immune system anti-bodies would be stronger to withstand further incidences of either chicken pox or shingles. I had it really bad as a child, so am now hopeful that I won't get shingles. Smile
snowynight
Really ?
I used to think that it was simply out of the question ...
Laughing
deanhills
snowynight wrote:
Really ?
I used to think that it was simply out of the question ...
Laughing
How come? Shocked Smile
tony
I've heard it is rare, but ocassionally does happen.
Ghost900
I have also heard that if you get them really bad the first time it is unlikely for you to get them again, but if you get them light/less severe then you have a chance of getting them again.

I got them when I was young and have not gotten them again and I have been around people that have them. Very Happy
airh3ad
My 1st pox when i was high school i got to times of pox but I've heard it is rare, but ocassionally does happen.
silverdown
NOTE: This is an opinion, i am not doctor or physicain

It depends on how bad the case you had, if you had a server case then most likely not since your body would have built a immunity to it. If it was a small case then it might since your body might not have had a chance to built a great immunity to it.
hamza1122
i don't think u can. everyone says that u can only catch chickenpox once and i think that's true. i don't know why but yeah. that's weird.
8166UY
silverdown wrote:
NOTE: This is an opinion, i am not doctor or physicain

It depends on how bad the case you had, if you had a server case then most likely not since your body would have built a immunity to it. If it was a small case then it might since your body might not have had a chance to built a great immunity to it.


True as I can say with the medicine I'm studying. But it's indeed quite rare, so for almost everyone it's just an one-timer. With adults it will also not be named chicken pox but a sort of syphilis, but is the same disease. The only difference is that adults tend to react more severe because of some auto-immune reactions that can be triggered.
crimson_aria
i've never had chicken pox and i'm 20 now. they say the vaccine helps, but does it truly eliminate the chance of getting the disease? i don't think i want to have it ever >.<
nivinjoy
I have heard that it is very rare for Chicken Pox to occur a second time..!! And if it happens so it would turn out to be very dangerous it seems...!!

By the way i am 21 now...and i want to know how is chicken pox caused...Is there any way that i can avoid it..??
HamsterMan
nivinjoy wrote:
I have heard that it is very rare for Chicken Pox to occur a second time..!! And if it happens so it would turn out to be very dangerous it seems...!!

By the way i am 21 now...and i want to know how is chicken pox caused...Is there any way that i can avoid it..??

It is spread by pretty much the same means as a regular cold, by coughing or sneezing. But you are contagious even before symptoms show up so there is really no way to truly avoid it... Well, except getting vaccinated then of course.
computerexpert09
Yes you can get it more than once. Plus its contagious. I got it twice before.
mikakiev
Yes.The virus is changing rapidly.
8166UY
The main cause it that your antibodies are sometimes a bit low after the first atack so there won't be enough when they strike again. I had to test it a few weeks ago since I study medicine and mine were about ten times higher as normal since I've had it two times. The body doesn't make the same mistake twice on this one. Wink (unless you are starting to talk about REALLY rare cases)
mikakiev
Some people contract a virus the immune system kicks in and forms antibodies to fight off the virus. The se antibodies can stay in your blood stream to fight off further infections. It's possible your body doesn't make enough antibodies or they weaken after awhile and leave you vulnerable to another infection. I know you are suppose to be re-immunized for some things after about 10 years because they wear off, perhaps it's just that you're getting them just far enough apart that the antibodies have weakened.
Greatking
i know you only catche such a disease once cause my sibblings and i got it a long time ago. and so far none of us has ever been affected of this disease. and i have heard lots of cases where people onlly contract it once.
Greatking
from what i have heard and know and experienced i know chicken pox cannot affect a person more than once. its only once in a lifetime.
Related topics
DOS mode
Getting page could not be displayed
sms jokes
sms jokes
need template - will pay whatever u need!
what will u do if u dont find job??
Detective Conan
break the most online users record.
Not going to shave...
Tony Blair
Who decides what is the course of stem cell research?
Aspirin and heart problems
w32 virus removal
Teachers have guns in texas
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Health and Beauty

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.