FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

your weekly dose of fascism. Internet2 not for you?

gonzo
Quote:
Ann Arbor (MI) - The [ Morons Pursuing Anarchy in America ] (MPAA) and the [ Really Insane Association of Antifreedom ] (RIAA) today announced to have joined the Internet2 networking consortium as corporate members. The two organizations intend to use the Internet2 to develop and test content distribution and digital rights [supression] management technologies.

Better late than never. Today's announcement fueled hopes that the film and music industry is on a path to bring new ideas [of fascism] to the [already functional] digital content distribution infrastructure. According to a statement released by both industry organizations, the collaboration with the Internet2 community is expected to result in "innovative content distribution and digital rights [supression] management technologies," and serve as a trend guide that will lead to the creation of "future business [crushing] models."

"Internet2 networking is an incredibly exciting tool for researchers, technologists and many others interested in developing new technologies, policies and business models for the next generation [which naturally precludes fascists]. Its value now and potential in the future are extraordinary, and we are very pleased to join this diverse community," said Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA.

Contrary to common belief that the Internet2 is developed as the successor for the Internet as we know it today, the project mainly is a virtual playground to develop new Internet technologies that can be transferred into the real world down the road. Founded on October 1, 1996, the Internet2 today connects more than 200 universities in a closed environment. The network technology is based on fiber backbone which enables a stable data bandwidth of 10 Gbit per second. "The Internet2 enables us to test new technologies in a real-world environment - we immediately see how new ideas impact the Internet, which enables us to develop new applications," said Olivier Martin, Internet2 project leader at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland.

For example the Internet2 is home to the futuristic "Land Speed Record" project, a competition to increase data transfer speeds - which currently stands at 216,300 Tbit meters per second: 1485 GByte of data were sent within 30 minutes across a distance of 30,000 kilometers at an average rate of 7.21 Gbit per second. A project which could come to the open Internet much sooner is "TCP/IP Tuning" developed at Caltech in a research group led by associate professor Steven Low. According to Low, an optimized version of TCP/IP could improve the efficiency of data traffic by a factor 100.

Representatives of the RIAA or the MPAA were not available for comment on the motivation of the organizations to participate in the Internet2. {{Gee I wonder why}} But apparently, the simple fact that the Internet2 is a closed environment could have played a convincing role. "The network allows them to do worldwide testing without running into hacker attacks," said PJ McNealy of American Technology Research. McNealy also believes that it will beneficial to the organizations and for users, if the network can be used for developing DRSM standards and new business models.

Dan Glickman, president of MPAA is quoted saying "The movie industry is committed to working with the technology sector to find innovative new ways to deliver entertainment to consumers." He continued: "The MPAA views this partnership with Internet2 as an important opportunity for [control and extortion] as we seek to link new [inferior quality] delivery models with [less useful content]."

In turn, the Internet2 relies on the industry to implement its technologies and therefore always outside participation. "We do not have the experience to implement processes and new technologies on a broad basis," said Steven Low. "We are focused on the development of technologies." If the partnership with the film and movie industry works out, the Internet2 has found its most important partner yet to transfer high-speed applications into the public Internet.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050909_181759.html

This far exceeds the lunacy of their plan to "turn down" the quality of FM music broadcasts.

The internet2 will fortunately be natively hostile to analog modem users. There is a MINIMUM bandwidth requirement to play on Internet2 -- finally!
S3nd K3ys
I read that article a bit ago and I must say, your version seems much more accurate. I had the feeling something odd was going on, but couldn't put my finger on it. (Or my modem, as it were)
shr3dd
Shocking how Hollywood keeps trying to limit freedoms, sounds kinda "left" to me.
Donutey
Quote:
...Contrary to common belief that the Internet2 is developed as the successor for the Internet as we know it today, the project mainly is a virtual playground to develop new Internet technologies that can be transferred into the real world down the road. Founded on October 1, 1996, the Internet2 today connects more than 200 universities in a closed environment...

digital rights management ...ugh... >shades of micro$oft activation !@#$...< not the best idea...
xalophus
Remember Betamax ?
Universal studios vs Sony corp ?

There are some who sue McDonald's for selling hot coffee.
And then there are those who sue the people for having the equipment which has the *capability* to help them in their *possibly* questionable *intentions* of copying movies !

In their own words, things like VCR were "unlawful communication and access devices."

They forgot cameras.

It's not DRM they need.
They need to pull out people's eyeballs, put in expensive encrypted circuits in their place, and make the people pay for the gadgetry as well as their vision.

gonzo
xalophus wrote:

It's not DRM they need.
They need to pull out people's eyeballs, put in expensive encrypted circuits in their place, and make the people pay for the gadgetry as well as their vision.

I think you have something there. Really, they're trying to drag us back to paying tributes. Perhaps under the UNs one world goverment I will get to pay existential tax, too.