FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recharging RAZR

Tony The Tiger
My Canon Powershot cameras have come with a USB A / USB B cables for image downloading to my laptop. I have found that these cables also have the proper jacks to recharge my Garmin Nuvi 200 and my Motorola RAZR V3 on my laptop USB ports. I was told by the Garmin customer support that the Garmin charge from a laptop is what they call a trickle charge and it is much slower than charging the device from the cigarette lighter in the car. I am wondering if charging my RAZR from my laptop is also slower than standard charging with the AC connection. Does anyone know about recharging speeds based on method of recharge chosen?
Donutey
The computer that provides the USB port needs to know if it can safely provide more than the basic (trickle charge) USB power to a device without damaging it. Thus, to charge as quickly as possible, the computer must have drivers for the specific device to allow the computer to know it can safely increase the power.

I'm assuming Garmin has chosen not to provide these for the device you have, however, I highly suspect Motorola would provide these for your phone, either on a CD that you got with the phone, or with a bit of looking on their support website.
Tony The Tiger
Donutey wrote:
The computer that provides the USB port needs to know if it can safely provide more than the basic (trickle charge) USB power to a device without damaging it. Thus, to charge as quickly as possible, the computer must have drivers for the specific device to allow the computer to know it can safely increase the power.

I'm assuming Garmin has chosen not to provide these for the device you have, however, I highly suspect Motorola would provide these for your phone, either on a CD that you got with the phone, or with a bit of looking on their support website.

When I charge my RAZR it is a recognized device and drivers have been installed. I don't think the Garmin is recognized as anything more than an unknown external storage device.