FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lost without my Garmin

Tony The Tiger
I had planned to rent a car in Los Angeles on a trip last month. Therefore, I took my Garmin Nuvi 200 out of my car and packed it along with my garments for the trip. It was quite helpful at times, of course, in California since I don't live there and had to get around. When I returned back to Chicago, I forgot to put it back in my car on my first non-routine day of travel at home. Yesterday, I went to see the doctor and had planned on making a few other side trips on the return home to accomplish some additional errands. However, I since I had forgotten my Garmin, with which I am now helpless, I was unable to complete the additional errands. Does anyone else feel lost when they forget to put their GPS in the car now?
ocalhoun
No, you just have to make an effort to be independent of it. I've only been living in my area for about 4 months, and already I don't use the GPS much anymore.

You just have to realize things like, "Hey, I already know how to get home from here, I don't need the GPS." The more you do things like that, the better you learn the area, and soon you don't need it much, except to find places you haven't been before.

Also, even while using the GPS, pay attention to street names and exit numbers. You can't learn them if you never pay any attention to them.
william
Personally, I've never found a need for GPS systems. I can always pull up directions on my phone if need be, but usually if I have a general idea on where I'm going, I'll be just fine. You simply need to become familiar with an area, if it's someplace new, just grab directions. Acutally, I have missed turns in the past because of a GPS system (borrowed it since I thought I needed it). It wouldn't prompt me at the right time, and the directions it calculated were inefficient.
malcolmpreen
Never used one.... and always laugh when I hear stories of cars in lakes etc... "because the GPS told me to do it".

What was ever wrong with a map ???

Malcolm
Tony The Tiger
malcolmpreen wrote:
Never used one.... and always laugh when I hear stories of cars in lakes etc... "because the GPS told me to do it".

What was ever wrong with a map ???

Malcolm

When I was working on the Obama campaign in Cleveland I realized Mapquest is old school. once you make a wrong turn what you have printed out is no good and you can't read a map while driving.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Personally, I've never found a need for GPS systems. I can always pull up directions on my phone if need be, but usually if I have a general idea on where I'm going, I'll be just fine. You simply need to become familiar with an area, if it's someplace new, just grab directions. Acutally, I have missed turns in the past because of a GPS system (borrowed it since I thought I needed it). It wouldn't prompt me at the right time, and the directions it calculated were inefficient.

I use a RAZR and can not pull up directions on it. In fact, now that I mention it I should ask does anyone know five numbers in their cell phone. I use to know all my friend's and family's phone numbers. Now, without my cell phone I am lost.
surdy
hahaha ...thats what technology is doing ...making man lazy and useless ...and soon good for nothing without those gizmos which come to our life with a promise of making it better but end up making us their slaves. .... Well enough of philosophy for now [Razz]

I personally somehow feel GPS annoying. I hate the idea of someone telling me where to go ,when I am driving, unless I absolutely require it/them to. I like to be independent and free when I am driving. So what I do is this , if I'm going to a place for the first time or i don't know the way to a place I obediently follow my GPS , but at the same time start making a mental map of the place whiule i'm driving. Once I have driven there and made a map out in my mind with all the landmarks. So next time I drive there I don't use GPS. Simple.