FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Urban exploration

Josso
Is anyone else into urban exploration here?

For those of you who don't know...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration

There's obvious legal consequences with urbexing but you can actually do it legitimately by asking for permission to take photos on certain abandoned sites. I became interested in it recently via one of my friends but I think my main attraction to it is the photography side.

Here's a photo I took in an abandoned grain silo:

(more here)

Thoughts?

Smile
deanhills
Thanks for the posting. I've definitely learned something new, did not know urban exploration existed as a hobby. The photo is absolutely awesome. Wow, it is a good one. A work of art. Are you doing it professionally? Do you have more to show us? In which city was it taken? Smile
Josso
Thanks Smile, no I'm doing photography at college as an A level - this particular pic was taken near Oxford in a small place called Water Eaton. It's an old abandoned grain silo that dates back to WW2 so I've been told - more pics here.
airh3ad
They are saying that urban exploration is also referred to as Infiltration. describes it as: a mix of the practice and theory of urban exploration in areas not designed for public usage" or more bluntly, "going places you're not supposed to go." It's like caving, but instead of exploring nature's hiding places, enthusiasts explore man-made areas most common are abandoned buildings and tunnels and undergrounds roads etc.

Unfortunately, old-school enthusiasts are finding that what once was a sub-culture is becoming too popular today. Even The Discovery Channel or national geographic channel had a series on it. It always sucks when some cool underground thing becomes mainstream. It sucks even worse when MTV gets ahold of it. Enthusiasts have a code of ethics regarding vandalism and grafitti that they fear others will ignore. Not only that, but the more popular the hobby becomes, the more cities will make it harder to enter old buildings and tunnels.

I got the chance to explore an abandoned hospital once, when I was a secretary for a small construction company. I followed the crew around jotting down notes and measurements. Then later, I walked around by myself to check out the rooms. I didn't know there was any such thing as urban exploration at the time, but it was fun exploring the deserted building. It's kind of creepy, and feels like walking through a haunted house.It's hard to say when this sub-culture started, but there are explorers all over the world; and based on what I read about the Paris or other places in europe.
anaway i have to try this thing more abandon buildings here in our place i will convince my friends to join me.
deanhills
I imagine New York would offer some interesting places for urban exploration. With great potential for creative photography.
Zombie
That's funny, I never heard of that. I guess it could be pretty entertaining... I wouldn't be into it for the photography as much though.
sondosia
I've heard of this before...I would LOVE to do it someday, but I'd be way too worried about my safety and such. I mean, you never know what you could run into down there, or how old and crumbling those stairs are...and then there's the whole legal issue.

Definitely on my bucket list, though. =)
carlospro7
Athens, OH is an interesting place to do this. I have a friend who does this every once in a while, and I've joined him once or twice. It's fun.
airh3ad
Urban exploration maybe this is good buisness too.Definitely this is tough!
deanhills
I was just thinking about a new type of tourism, urban exploration tourism for photographers. Perhaps there could be business potential in this? Add safety features to it?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I was just thinking about a new type of tourism, urban exploration tourism for photographers. Perhaps there could be business potential in this? Add safety features to it?

It would be hard to do that without taking most of the allure out of it though.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

It would be hard to do that without taking most of the allure out of it though.
I was thinking about that afterwards, and you are right. Must be like rock climbing where you get a special adrenaline rush from doing this kind of exploration.
watersoul
I used to explore the abandonded docks and industrial areas where I grew up, was loads of fun and have got back into this kind of thing with my son - we take care to keep safe obviously, and in the UK trespass isn't a criminal offence as long as you don't break or steal anything (apart from railways/military/nuclear sites!) - so we go on a few adventures when we can.

Here's a couple of mine...
Abandoned 1940's Polish Nationals resettlement camp

Former Cold-war nuclear bunker

Cheers!

Smile

**EDIT 08:45AM Monday**
I removed the links to the forum with reports on my explore's, because I woke up last night thinking "I'm sure it's against the rules if its a link to a non-frihost forum?" - I'll check the rules later after work, just better be safe than sorry!
Josso
Nice. That ladder looks vaguely like an ROC post.

watersoul
Josso wrote:
Nice. That ladder looks vaguely like an ROC post.

Haha, Nice one Josso!

Certainly is, Croyde's North Devon, took a couple of hours scrambling through 7 feet high Gorse bushes to finally get to it, in lovely condition inside as well so well worth the scratches and the effort.

...your pics a million times better than mine though, only got my old mobile phone so I make do with that. Made me proper smile that another frihoster know's an ROC post as well, thats so cool

Smile
watersoul
Explored a railway tunnel today...it was opened in 1864, still running trains through these days so safety is the word, couldn't find any reports or pic's of it anywhere on t'internet so thought i'd take a look...

This is the arched roof of a "refuge" set into the tunnel walls every
10 metres or so, where track workers can be safe if a train approaches
(roughly 1.5 M tall & 0.5 M deep)

Soot covered lightbulbs, tried the switch but they didn't work!

...it's 452 metre's long and runs under the grounds of a UK National Trust preserved mansion house. The owner and resident of the house at the time (filthy rich), wasn't having a dirty steam railway line going through his garden so he forced the company to build the tunnel!
ocalhoun
Try out my hobby instead; wilderness exploration ^.^

It can sometimes have the same feel to it.
watersoul
Haha, ocalhoun, that's quality!

How old is that truck, must have been laying there a long time?!

It reminds me of the area I grew up, although by the coast, just a couple of miles inland you're in the mountains, and the number of burned out stolen cars was pretty bad. If they weren't burnt though it could sometimes come in handy for spare parts!

...I'm guessing the vehicle in your pic's would be more suitable for classic historical restoration though!

Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:
Haha, ocalhoun, that's quality!

How old is that truck, must have been laying there a long time?!

It reminds me of the area I grew up, although by the coast, just a couple of miles inland you're in the mountains, and the number of burned out stolen cars was pretty bad. If they weren't burnt though it could sometimes come in handy for spare parts!

...I'm guessing the vehicle in your pic's would be more suitable for classic historical restoration though!

Rolling Eyes

Full thread about it is here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-106957.html

I'm guessing that this passenger car, not truck, is a 20's to 40's model, and has been there for at least 25 years, possibly as long as 50 years or so. I did find an identification plate, but it was very dirty, and only listed the manufacturer (Ford) and patent numbers.
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:

Full thread about it is here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-106957.html

Thats a really good thread, looks an amazing place you live Smile
Totally jealous of your wilderness exploration, I do really love the countryside here as well, but it's never that far from civilisation at all so urban adventure's have to fill the gaps for my curiosity!
Josso
Railway tunnels are pretty interesting. There's such a minimal amount of old railway bits remaining around my area though unfortunately Sad

Anyway I developed, scanned and touched up a few pics of various rural/urban exploration I've done in the last month. Let me know what you think...

Fatality
Very interesting and exciting! I wonder if there are places like this near my house. I used to explore woods when I was younger. I used to crawl through rain drainage systems too, I'm surprised I didn't get sick from that; I guess I'm lucky. I don't think that there are any of these sweet exploration places near my house. I may have to drive out of the suburbs to find some of these places.

Nice photos as well.
watersoul
Josso wrote:
...Anyway I developed, scanned and touched up a few pics of various rural/urban exploration I've done in the last month. Let me know what you think...

Ooh, I love your pics!! ...you're so much more arty than me with your eye for the shots Smile

Liking the contrasty texture thing going on in pic 2 with the bare stone, cement render, bricks and timber all sharing the image.
The bike and the chair are good pics (like the chair more, it just seems so relaxed in the pic but like it knows itself it shouldn't be there anymore, abandoned!), and the peeling damaged paint/frozen in time, undamaged tiles/tap is excellent.

Thumbs up for all of them Smile ..whats the last one say on the wall, is it "Peace not petrol" ...absolute quality anyway, nice one!
tony
Wow; this is a cool topic - I am impressed to see so many interesting photos!

And I've never heard of this urbexing, or urban exploring. It sounds like an interesting, yet dangerous hobby...
coolclay
I have done pretty much every type of exploring that you can think of, it's so much fun! I just recently got back from desert/gold mine/shoreline cliff exploring. I went for a mini-road trip around Southern California, and had a fantastic time. I explored San Diego for a bit mostly La Jolla and Pt. Loma, then I journeyed out to the Anza-Borrego desert, and then to the small gold mining town of Julian. I got some really sweet pictures too.
mathiaus
-moved-