FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I lost my job

wanshishusheng
Today I lost my job.I can't describe what a surprise it is.Anyway I became a loser. So bad I feel that nothing can interest me. Just in half a month I have to say goodbye to the first job. And then I trapped in despression. I know I have to start to go for a new job. My mom ever tell me that i can stay at home. But that is not what i want. I just want to fight for my life on my own. I do appreciate independence. I try my best to do everything without any help. And so many obstacles meet me. Just like this ,I know it is one again actually.But it is a surprise to me indeed, I thought i can did well and got the boss's appreciation.
Anyway I learned many things during the work time. It's a pity I can't carry on the plan for the job. I really want to sing a song for the first job, it's called With you On my way. Although i leave ,I will treasure the experience all the times。
rockacola
Lossing your job doesn't make you a losser, it's a sign of reality that you should wake up to.

ps/ cheer up. Wink
airh3ad
Try to find a new Job its not the end of yout carrer we know global financial crises affecting us now but you to be strong and think positive goodluck.
r4inm4ker
I usually use these kind of bad event as fuel to burn myself to get better. After the last time I got sacked for the first time from a part time job (that lasted only several weeks), I said to myself "I'll prove to you that you made a wrong decision to fire me because I'm a valuable person ". I think I've been significantly improved since then Very Happy . So don't be depressed, just work and learn harder Wink
airh3ad
Let say that my first move would be to tap the network of individuals I know in the area to see if their companies were hiring. The majority of those folks, at least the ones working for companies that would be looking for a software engineer, all work at my former employer, who would likely not be averse to hiring me back because I left on very amicable terms. Beyond that, there are a few other folks in the area that work for similar employers and since software engineers are usually in relatively strong demand, my best bets would be with one of them.However, beyond that, I think I would start considering pursuing a NEW career in another field, perhaps into something in the business management arena and less in engineering. If I were to go in this direction, Id probably tap into the employment services department over at big comanies, where Im pursuing your self , and see if they could put me in contact with folks looking to hire. I knew a lot of people out of school with engineering degrees that scored finance jobs because of the analytical skills they acquired in school, even though it was a different field etc the most important is to earn a lot of money.
deanhills
wanshishusheng wrote:
Today I lost my job.I can't describe what a surprise it is.Anyway I became a loser. So bad I feel that nothing can interest me. Just in half a month I have to say goodbye to the first job. And then I trapped in despression. I know I have to start to go for a new job. My mom ever tell me that i can stay at home. But that is not what i want. I just want to fight for my life on my own. I do appreciate independence. I try my best to do everything without any help. And so many obstacles meet me. Just like this ,I know it is one again actually.But it is a surprise to me indeed, I thought i can did well and got the boss's appreciation.
Anyway I learned many things during the work time. It's a pity I can't carry on the plan for the job. I really want to sing a song for the first job, it's called With you On my way. Although i leave ,I will treasure the experience all the times。
Why did you lose the job?
gverutes
Typically when people lose their job they get into this mode of "feel sorry for me". And while it is not a good thing, sometimes it is the jump start you need to get your life going again.

Two examples,

(-)
My roomate lost his job about 4 months ago and instead of trying to find a new one (he is perfectly capable of finding one), he decided to sign up for unemployment benefits. His rational now is that he shoudn't look for work because then he will lose these benefits. The problem with that is that once the benefits run out, he back to square one. Bad attitude!

(+)
My friend lost her job and took it as a sign that she needs to find a new industry of work. She went back to school and worked real hard to get a degree. Even though she went into debt, she is now back in the work world and has a better paying job and enjoys it more.

So, my friend, you can feel sorry for yourself or you can be proactive and push yourself that much harder. I hope you make the right decision! Good luck - I know it's not easy.
natilovesmike
Loosing a job is hard, but not the end of the world. Its hard because you are putting a lot of effort into it and suddenly don't feel appreciated. Its like a bad rejection. But that's how life is, Don't take it personal, unless there was something personal that you can learn from and improve on.
You have to keep trying, over and over and over again...and you will keep falling...but take those falls as an incentive to keep trying.
gtoroap
Well. Losing a job is not the end. It's just a change of perspective. Maybe you can start a company, or dedicate more time to your passions (like write novels or any profitable hobby). Sky is the limit.
traxion
the end of something is the begin of a new adventure Smile

try to develop youre self in the main time en try to learn extra elements of youre kind of job
jwellsy
This may be a good chance to go back to school.
justtj
common man...
loosing a job isn't that bad...
you can always start afresh with a new career...
bsbteng
Me too. Good luck to you!
medesignz
become a freelance whatever...

do something productive with your time whilst your out of work... and go to job interviews...

dont just bum around, it helps no one.

life throws these balls at you so you can hit them for 6... thats why its so great! CHIN UP Laughing
babygeek
hey, when one door closes, another opens...you never know if something that happens is good or bad, till the end...I have lost jobs b4...and found better ones too..so dont feel bad, k? Smile
bsbteng
You can learn some knowledges at home. Don't worry it. I think you can get a new job in few days.
naki
me to
coolclay
This is a pretty common occurrence the world around. This current depression isn't just hitting the US it's hitting the globe. Anyway, I can understand your feeling of sadness especially at a first job, the worst way to loose your job is like you did, completely unexpected because for all you knew everything was great, and then bam! no more job. I am sure you got fired not because of a problem with you but more so a problem with the company and the need to let people go. Of you really are a great employee, with valuable skills you should have no problem whatsoever finding another job.
ptpmonitor
It really hurt when the job gone, but its a reality. By the way, it is just your first job. Your carrier just started and you have a long life ahead. Obviously you will get a good job soon. You have a better facility that your mother is supporting you in many ways.

Its really annoying that global recession is lasting so longer.
nivinjoy
I know that you may be sad that you lost your job...!! But let me tell you one thing that there are many out there without a job...!! So what you should do now is that start applying for more and more jobs based on your qualifications and experience..!!

If you just sit all day being depressed i tell you nothing is going to happen..!! To achieve success in our life we have to take the decision which suits us and move steps accordingly by ourselves..!!

I know you are gonna get something greater and bigger than what you had last...!! Pray well for great to happen and hope for the best and think always positively..!!
ciureanuc
I guess I changed at least ten jobs till now.
The problem is not to change jobs but HOW and WHY do you change jobs. If you were fired because you were lazy, this is bad for you but if you were fired because the employer was unfair - this is not so bad.
I didn't wanted to change 10 jobs in 8 years but a lot of employers weren't "fair play".
I cried for some places/colleagues but I changed only the job not the friends. Smile

Losing the first job should not be like loosing the first girlfriend. Smile
realkiller
i lost my job like 3 years ago and still havnt found anything now i think that makes me a losser lol
buhle2007
I know this might sound cliche on what but believe me when i say When one door closes another one opens up. I got retrenched from a job i loved and felt i would never get another good job but as i am telling you right now i am working for a better company with double the salary and i get along better with the people there, i just cant wait to get up in the morning and go to work. Again it cliche i know but its real
mafialive
I had a problem with my job also. Two years ago, I had a good paying job and now I don't. We went to refinance on our home back in February; we have more than enough equity built up, but my wife was temping at the time, and still is, so the bank denied us because of that reason. I don't know if we will even make it another week, let alone another month. Now my furnace is dead and we have no oil, and still owe the oil man from last year. My paychecks are gone way before I even get them, then you hear that the government is bailing out the banking system so CEOs can get millions. That's justice!
Veteran
TODAY IS MY LAST DAY TOO. Wink (THAT'S IF WE EVERRRRRRRRRRRR FINISH THIS WEBSITE)
Ryox
it's really hard to handle a job when you're in a job, but when you get use to the work you'll get use to being there everyday..

But when you lose a job, it isn't the end of the world as for this is my first job BUT!! I have volunteered to work places I didn't like before, but I have done the work and liked it alittle bit, so don't always push yourself to far or you'll regret it.

Education is very important and you need to learn the new skills that you have on the job and need to learn how to control yourself as for now.

I work @ Burgerville cleaning, but I love cleaning and I just got my food handlers card so I am able to handle food at the restaurant and do more than just cleaning and I am happy that I am moving up in my life and I love doing it too, It feels good!
zbale
Losing a job does not make you "a loser", even though many people will have a tendency to think so when it happens to them. It is a big event indeed but not to the point of redefining entirely who you are.

When you say "this guy or girl is a + <any noun>", you are basically defining this person as essentially being that. It is true that some events legally have the power of redefining your status (for instance, if you get married and you happen to be a man, you technically become "a husband"), but many events do not have that power to automatically redefine your identity; also note that in the Western world at least, no tag is strong enough to redefine you entirely: you may be a husband but you also have an identity at work (which in these societies is normally not dependent on your marital status though in some societies it is), in your sports team, etc.

Now, if you lose your job, it can make you technically "unemployed" but it does not necessarily turn you into "a loser". At the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, the guy who snatches the cross away from young Indy tells him "You lost today, kid, but it doesn't mean you have to like it", not "You lost today kid, that makes you a loser". Anybody who won at any sports contest had to be licked a number of times to become so good (and great sportsmen and women probably had to lose more games than most of us so that they could get up there).

The thing that is for sure as far as defining is concerned, is that your former employer has decided not to define you within his or her company anymore (but rather without it). As pointed out by others, the reasons behind this decision might have to do more with the the general state of the economy than with your behavior. Of course, now is also a great moment to sit down with a piece of paper and ask what, in your behavior, you might want to change if you were your own employer. But your behavior, again, does not define you entirely, nor does it necessarily explain the reason of your being fired.

In fact, your being out of job gives you an opportunity to redefine yourself, and our readiness to call ourselves "losers" might be just the sign that we did not choose that situation (and that we want to be done with the redefining as soon as possible). But even though you probably did not choose to be in this situation, now that you are in it you should use it. Being there is an opportunity to learn and see things differently, and perhaps to get a better job even, or to start something altogether new, so that's what you should focus on. The bottom line is that redefining your self effectively has to do, not with trying on labels, but with developing the strengths that will call for new labels to be applied to you.

In other words, forget the words and try to focus on what you can do and learn (being out of job turns out to be the best moment to (re)train). Good luck.
Crinoid
You are not a loser, this is life. Take any help you can, but do whatever needed to get well paid, meaningful long term employment. Or, if this is not possible, think about your financial possibilities, what skills you have or can develop fast to make a product or provide services that can be sold even in recession time. Not easy, I know, and nobody wants to share their finds. Still, try to do that. This is not about being on your own, but about long term survival: parents will not be able to provide you forever and start in one's forties, without employment history or money, that will mean to be uncompetitive comparing to other people on the job market.

Meanwhile, while hurt and depressed by loss of job, get a good night's sleep, vitamins and minerals to restore balance and be in a good shape for the task.
I'll keep fingers crossed for you.
natilovesmike
I know it is a hard blow. And it most likely makes you feel like a looser, but you are not. Sometimes jobs don't work out and it is for the best. You will see that you will be able to find another job and hopefully you will like it even better! or you will make more money!.

Don't let this depress you too much. Take it as a challenge to find something better.
medesignz
odesk is a great tool... it should help you out Smile
benmerrion
I hope you can see this as an opportunity. Maybe you will find something better. There are some really encouraging and positive posts here and it might be good to take their advice.
zbale
Though it is not a question that can be easily asked right away, it is always good, when times are tough, to reflect and ask:

"Okay, these are difficult times, now what good can come out of this that could not have come from the situation as it was before?"

For many people, tough times do bring opportunities because you are forced to make decisions that you would not necessarily have dared make if things had gone on smoothly. Of course, in a great number of cases, we would have preferred it to go on smoothly. But we have to deal with the world as it is, and if such is the situation, we have to be able to ask the "Now, what?" question with an open mind. Exceptional times call for exceptional measures, and now may be the time for you to do things you would never have thought about before --- and this can end up being very good.

So one question to ask, now that some time has passed since you were fired, is: What are the opportunities brought about by this change?
guggs
Sounds like the FIRST time you ever lost a job. Don't worry, you'll find another one, maybe not today, tomorrow or next week, but you'll find it. In the meantime, look on the bright side - think of the extra time you have for yourself and make sure you don't waste ALL of it, but hey use SOME of it to get a little fun for yourself.
andysart380
ok man..ive had too many jobs...anything from coffee shop..to auto detail shop...to farm work (current position) and im sure ive got many more to go..its the cycle of life, you cant expect to work the same thing forever
guissmo
Do something productive. Take it as a challenge. Show them that you weren't deserving of being fired. Why'd you lose your job though?
medesignz
what is your current status OP?
cerandkey
Try to find a new Job its not the end of yout carrer we know global financial crises affecting us now but you to be strong and think positive goodluck.