FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is AJAX

binsmyth
Why was AJAX made? Is it replacement of php or ASP. Can It do the same thing as PHP? Where is it used?
Marcuzzo
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)
Fire Boar
To answer the question, AJAX is a combination of Javascript and a server-side scripting language such as PHP. The idea is to send Javascript requests to a PHP script which then generates a response which Javascript uses. The applications of this are endless, but it all basically boils down to being able to load new pages on the fly, without doing all the reprocessing normally required. Example, when you post a comment on some blogs, you may see your comment appear immediately without the page actually reloading. That's AJAX at work. It sends your comment via a Javascript request to a PHP page, that page then generates some or all of the necessary HTML to add the comment.

It's a very advanced part of web design, but when applied appropriately the benefits can be massive. Just be careful not to make a page entirely based around AJAX... while technically possible it would mean that visitors could not bookmark a particular page. And it would be a lot of work.
Diablosblizz
Is there a name for using ActionScript, XML and PHP? Sorry it's not my topic, but I'm sure I'll just need one answer.
rockacola
Diablosblizz wrote:
Is there a name for using ActionScript, XML and PHP? Sorry it's not my topic, but I'm sure I'll just need one answer.

AMFPHP
Twisted Evil
rockacola
binsmyth, if you are serious about learning... most of your sub-questions can be answered in wikipedia, which should be the first place you go when you have a "what is.." question.

Quote:
Why was AJAX made?

Various of purpose include user experience.

Quote:
Is it replacement of php or ASP.

Completely different focus of technology. Ie/ No.

Quote:
Can It do the same thing as PHP?

Completely different focus of technology, yet Javascript can sometime perform tasks that you would normally do in server-side languages like PHP.

Quote:
Where is it used?

Various areas that can/need asynchronous process (you may want to find out the difference between asynchronous and synchronous in web programming). Eg/ When registering a new account, real-time check if the username you enter is already been registered by other user.
Diablosblizz
rockacola wrote:
Diablosblizz wrote:

AMFPHP
Twisted Evil

That's basically what I am doing in my computer programming class. Except, ours is functional (tests don't seem to work there) and we're using the MyRequest / MyLoader instead of a "service." It's pretty neat, and is possible to create a user system out of it.

I just wish I knew how to work the template better.
binsmyth
Thanks for all the answers helped me a lot. When I was first introduced to it I didn't quite understand it. Now it is a quite clear.
Thanks Fire Boar for the insight.