FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gardening?

gverutes
Is this the right forum for questions on gardening?

I started a garden and have some questions. First, I hear it takes forever to make an avocado tree flower. While I was at Home Depot the expert was saying:

- you need another tree within 2 blocks to help cross polination
- bees help a lot
- the old leaves falling at the base of the tree are essential to keep the soil moist and out of direct sunlight

Anyone have other tips for a gardener new to avocados?
Solon_Poledourus
I know nothing about growing avacados. I do make a great guacamole though.
Anyway, I found a link you might take a look at.
Wills Avacados
blackhole365
Hey there!
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips about bonsai, those little japanese trees. I love those plants really, and i would like to know if anyone can help me with those. I had 3 bonsai trees, but they always ended up dead after 3 months, more or less. And currently i have one, but i'm afraid i'll let it die after a while, and i dont want it. I water it as i should, and i dont change the place where it is, and i use fertilizer as the instruction say. I dont know what to do... :/
Any answer would be highly apreciated =D
Thanks
gverutes
I wish I could help, but I myself have killed 2 trees already.

I think the key is not over watering and not too much sun. Pruning also has to be done correctly.
Do a google search - I am sure you will come up with some good advice.

Good luck!
babygeek
sorry dont know much about gardening...but really, go for it, man! I applaud you...Smile

i tried to get into gardening but after getting allotments, realised i couldnt do it...<blushes>
Ilmaarion
blackhole365 wrote:
Hey there!
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any tips about bonsai, those little japanese trees. I love those plants really, and i would like to know if anyone can help me with those. I had 3 bonsai trees, but they always ended up dead after 3 months, more or less. And currently i have one, but i'm afraid i'll let it die after a while, and i dont want it. I water it as i should, and i dont change the place where it is, and i use fertilizer as the instruction say. I dont know what to do... :/
Thanks

I don't know much about gardening, i've just started with an Opuntia, but if you follow instructions it should survive. You can also search in google for more info, maybe you just missed something Wink
malcolmpreen
blackhole365 wrote:
Hey there!
Thanks

Sorry, I can't help either.... I tried bonsai for a while... however having studied the techniques for a while, I decided that I don't like the concept.

It seems cruel to restrict the growth, or force the direction of the branches... I've always been some one who enjoys growing plants/trees... but I can't get my head around keeping them small.

Maybe I'm lucky that I have a garden.... and that I seem to have green fingers....

My garden is "overrun" at the moment by Passion Flowers (grown from seed - 10 seeds in the packet, 9 plants germinated - that was 12 years ago, and they are still growing well), and also apple trees - Braeburn variety, which were grown from seed about 10 years ago... The largest is something like 10 feet tall now... no fruit however as it wasn't grafted onto another root... but its great shade for the dog !!

Malcolm
gverutes
I must say I have had to battle a lot of white fly and other pests with my tomato plants -- but if you create those hanging tomato contraptions -- like they sell on TV, it helps a lot!

I created my own out of a painters bucket. Just cut a hold in the bottom and the top and fed a small plant through the hole. Watch it grow! Do a Google search if you need more help!
Skweeky
I have never tried fuit trees or anything big, mainly smaller plants like strawberries so I couldnt help you. But what kind of conditions are needed for growing the bigger trees like apple and pear?
Crazy_Canuck
I haven't the foggiest about making an avocado flower (and I'm actually allergic to avocado), but I'd love to know how to keep a Brazilian jasmine, which is right now in a pot on my patio, in bloom -- or at least alive -- over the winter here in Canada.

I was thinking about bringing it inside, but I'm afraid the lack of light will kill it. Does anyone know how to send it into dormancy without killing it and maybe having it still alive next spring?

I'm at a loss, and it's a really pretty plant.
sketteksalfa
i love gardening but i can't go for that!!
all people who love gardening go for it!! we are helping our self and our environment!!
Ankhanu
sketteksalfa wrote:
we are helping our self and our environment!!

Well, the environment part can be debatable... that really depends on the methods used. Chemical fertilizers and pesticides, and sometimes even simple irrigation efforts can have some pretty deleterious effects on the environment, even if it is from small scale gardening. As with anything, you have to use responsible practices if you want to help the environment.
Assanya
Tips for growing avocados:

Soil: Avocados do not like wet feet, so be sure to plant your tree in well drained soil. Trees can also be planted in a mound to ensure proper drainage. The Florida native is fine for successful cultivation.
Temperature: Avocados are best suited for growing in a lowland tropical or frost-free subtropical areas along the coast. There are several varieties that are more cold tolerant and can withstand temperatures of the 20's.
Most of the avocados do not grow true from seed, so the most common method of propagation is grafting.
Fertilization: Newly planted trees should be fertilized lightly once or twice during the first year, then 3 to 4 times per year thereafter. Packed citrus fertilizer or other mixtures are 6-6-6-2 or 8-3-9-2 common.
Water: Newly planted trees should be watered every two days during the first week of 1 or 2 times per week during the first couple of months. In periods of drought, young trees should be watered twice a week, but may be reduced or stopped once the rainy season starts.
Avocados do not ripen on the tree, so you only have to reap what you need. The rest can remain in the tree. Ripe fruit matures in about 3 to 8 days, once the tree is removed.
A lawn should be kept free from 2 to 5 feet from the trunk of the tree. The best way is straw, which will also help retain moisture and improve soil quality on the surface. Keep the mulch about 8 to 12 inches from the trunk to prevent rotting of the base of the trunk
gverutes
What is the source on this? Wikipedia?
airh3ad
Our government here in the Philippines had the project encourages organic farming and gardening to ensure a supply of nutritious and chemical free-vegetables for the schools’ soup kitchen program. It, also, aims to create a healthy environment for schoolchildren.Organic farming in public schools goes along side with the government’s project of urban backyard gardening designed to create additional livelihood opportunities to its lesser privilege residents.
gverutes
Sounds like a good program!
roepjenaam
My life is NIce but no way you know that lLOOVE IT!!!!!
Abbott
Hi all,
My garden is "overrun" at the moment by Passion Flowers (grown from seed - 10 seeds in the packet, 9 plants germinated - that was 12 years ago, and they are still growing well), and also apple trees - Brae-burn variety.......
gverutes
Braeburn apples are very tasty. Good luck with that!
betfunder
I don't like gardening.. I find it boring!