FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

METAR data

dirkvb
mgx_virtual wrote:
I didn't quite understand what you are saying, what I need is something which can be seen here: www.scgvacc.net The line, on top which is moving, showing METAR for different airports. How to make that, is my question Smile

You have to know that the metars in this example are probably not variable. The code is as follow:
Code:
<div style="white-space: nowrap; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: -129px;">LYBE 041700Z 08009KT 9999 FEW040TCU 16/10 Q1014 RETS NOSIG   |   LYNI 041700Z 31003KT 280V360 9999 SCT030 BKN037 14/09 Q1012 NOSIG   |   LYTV 041700Z 16004KT 9999 SCT040 19/12 Q1011 NOSIG   |   LYPG 041700Z 04003KT 350V080 9999 FEW034 SCT050 20/10 Q1010 RETS NOSIG </div>

You see there is nowhere they ask for a new metar, so this metars are most likely fixed.

Further I also have got a question in the same way.
I've made an access sheet for load forms, but I want to add the metar and taf for a specific aerodrome the user has to put in in a text field.
Do you have an idea or should I start a new topic in something more related to flying?
rvec
I split this post from http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-58847.html because you should make your own topic when you have a new question, and you answer to the 2 year old question was totally bogus.

So for users wanting to reply here; reply to this piece of text:
Quote:
I've made an access sheet for load forms, but I want to add the metar and taf for a specific aerodrome the user has to put in in a text field.
Do you have an idea or should I start a new topic in something more related to flying?
Stubru Freak
I don't think a lot of people understand that question. Could you explain it so everyone can understand it, or is that impossible?
joostvane
Okay, I have flown/controlled alot on VATSIM in the past, so I know what he is talking about.

A METAR is a weather report at an airport. What I understand of this topic is, that this guy wants to make a form, where they enter the ICAO code (the code of the airport, for example: KJFK - John F Kennedy Intl. | EGLL: London Heathrow), and then they will get the METAR information.

I have no idea how to do this. METARs update every hour or so... There are loads of websites out there wich provide you with information.

Some examples:
- http://www.vatsim.net/data/search_metar.php | A METAR search from the official VATSIM website
- http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtml
rockacola
Not sure when I answer your how question, which aspect of how should I focus...

You first need to find MATAR provider, hopefully with a friendly API.

Send request server-side and aggregate the data.

Use javascript to provide marquee effects.

If MATAR data is large, you may want to consider showing a snippet at a time through Ajax.