FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Small Games VS Big Games

binsmyth
Do you people prefer a small games like miniclips,etc. or something like that compared to the big games like age of empire,etc. or vice versa.
tingkagol
I prefer both if they're good.

For small games, I play a bit of World of Goo if I'm bored. And Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike. hehe
achowles
I tend to prefer games that offer some depth. So I guess I'll go with big games. But I still got a lot of love for World of Goo too though.
eday2010
It depends on how involved I want to be in the game when I turn it on. Sometimes I just want to play something that I can stop playing quickly; World of Goo, Peggle. Sometimes I want to play through an actual game with a story; Super Paper Mario, GTA IV, Kirby Squeak Squad. It depends on my mood. Lately I have been going for games that aren't that involving.
David_Pardy
Big games for me, without a doubt.

I love games with a good story, I hardly ever play 'time killer' games or puzzle games.

So, that leads me to play games like Prince of Persia, Star Control 2, Fallout 3, Vega Strike, Civilization 4 BTS, Relentless, etc.

I tend to focus on one game at a time so short games don't last me all that long. I don't buy games for my phone because I tend to finish them in less than a week and they lack replayability.

Whereas, with longer games they tend to have a LOT more replayability, and some you don't even have to ever finish.
wombatrpgs
Hey, there's a difference between games that are small in focus and time and games that are small in complexity. There are certain games that are intensely focused on one thing, and may only take a few hours, and then games that could be relatively uninvolved and take forever. I prefer things that are involved with plot, whether long or short in duration.
catscratches
I love games with an excellent story and lots of emotion and art. Therefore short games for me. Of course, there are exceptions (Ico and Ôkami are both wonderful games.)
QrafTee
binsmyth wrote:
Do you people prefer a small games like miniclips,etc. or something like that compared to the big games like age of empire,etc. or vice versa.

I like big epic games developed by small companies like Sins of a Solar Empire and Ragnarok Online.

I like big epic games developed by big companies like Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, StarCraft, Diablo II, Killzone 2, The Legend of Zelda, and Fallout 3.

I also like small games like Peggle and Meteos.
Nameless
All other things being equal, I would rather play a game larger in scope and length than a smaller game on the basis there's more of it to play and enjoy. Practically though, there aren't many epic games that you can casually and with a degree of satisfaction play for just fifteen minutes every now and then though, so games with short stories or just a few simple puzzles nevertheless flourish ...
spinout
a small game is preferrable in the family home - time is lacking...

Hm, what is small??? time or depth???
joe_042293
It depends entirely on what I'm looking for. Minor distractions such as online versions of Tetris are fun when I just need to kill some time, but when I want a full cinematic experience, games like MGS4 are good.
Ninjacide
Big games all the way, they offer more to keep playing for, they also have a better chance of updating as most people have them. small game may occupy you for awhile, but not for long and often repetitive .
wombatrpgs
I wouldn't say repetitive... At least, not in a good small game anyway. One of the beauties of that format is that as you don't have to keep the player occupied for long periods of time, you can get right to the point.
Stormrage
I prefer complex in-depth games which are small in size, like Dwarf Fortress.
Other games are acceptable and maybe even favourable, but this is my main preference.
m-productions
I dont think its really far to say you like one over the other. in the end I think its based on what your in the mood for at that moment. Sometimes I want to be deep in a game with a long good story and lots of gameplay. Other times I want something very fast/short and lots of quick action. Or maybe I want a simple mini game like www.voloxes.com.

So its just really abotu waht mood your in to pick what kind of game you want. short or long.
traxion
i like the big games, so i can play for many hours. when the game is good, i want the hole game.

most of the time mini games are not HD and bad grahics and stuff. i like the real deal Very Happy
Bannik
the only games that are ever worth any penny are the ones that are multiplayer or 2 player at least...casue playing by yourself is stupid (after lets say a year, cause honestly who wants too play a single player game and nothing more, its like deus ex, awesome single player and yet you still play more multiplayer then the single player)
william
Big games of course. That is unless I am looking for some short tem entertainment or am just bored on a rainy day and feel the need to kill time (although, I prefer TV to this). Plus, I have to admit, there are some small games that can provide a decent amount of entertainment. But, I do want a deep storyline, or multiple levels, or top notch gameplay, and something a bit more "rewarding." Both are good, but in their own ways, and if I had to choose, it would be the big ones.
blk3
Big games. when I play games I look into the story line, gameplay depth. Simple casual games just won't do it for me.
wombatrpgs
I may have to retract about long games... Recently I've only been doing short games as I've had very little time. Most of the time it's just because of distractions. Not distractions from gameplay, but getting a distraction from everything else. I've been getting no work done, but then again, I'm a master at Snake.
eday2010
Bannik wrote:
the only games that are ever worth any penny are the ones that are multiplayer or 2 player at least...casue playing by yourself is stupid (after lets say a year, cause honestly who wants too play a single player game and nothing more, its like deus ex, awesome single player and yet you still play more multiplayer then the single player)

For most games I don't care if there is no multiplayer since I almost never go online to play other people. Once I finish the main game, I move onto the next one since I have so many waiting to be played.

Playing by yourself isn't stupid. If it was, every single game would have no single player component.
David_Pardy
Yeah I agree. 99% of my gaming is single player, although I don't have any objections to multi player gaming aside from the fact that a lot of multiplayer games such as WoW are actually quite repetitive and boring.

I love some good adventure and REAL challenges. Fallout 3 is a good example of this because of its open-ended gameplay. You're not "locked in" to your combat with others and trade blows until it's over, knowing you're going to win.

I enjoy 'big' games which require skill and tactics, single player or multi player.

I also like some 'small' games for killing time with. Worms World Party is my current time killer - I even put it on my phone. It's a great game for killing time while waiting for pizza. By the same token, I was playing Bejeweled on Facebook for about a week before I stopped, simply because it is such a pointless luck based game. There is no real skill involved in a game where you MIGHT score above 50,000 every 100 games or so. That's just frustrating and unrewarding.

Generally when I'm at home though, I'll play 'big' games. These include Civilization 4, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Oblivion, BOB2: Wings of Victory, Vega Strike, Age of Empires 3, Rise of Nations, and so on in that fashion. When you're prepared to spend at least an hour gaming in a session you generally want a game which is paced in that way.
enygmasoft
I have always been a big supporter of big budget gaming since the NES came out.I fell in lov e with zelda series as well as metroid and resident evil every game a big budget success.
trung23
The best small game i played is crayon physic deluxe. I think everyone like this game
tamilparks
i like Age of Empires, Dynablaster
David_Pardy
Actually, I've decided that anyone who thinks multiplayer-only games are the only good games is an idiot. There are more single player games with far more depth and replayability than there are purely MP games, and the story telling and depth within good SP games is far greater and deeper than that in ANY MP game, simply for the fact that MP games have to cater for repetitiveness.

Multiplayer OPTIONS are fun, for example, being able to have a Death Match with someone else. But for story and replayability, single player all the way.
wombatrpgs
Guess that depends if you see videogames as more of a timekiller/entertainment or a social thing.
donofindia
binsmyth wrote:

actualy only advance games must be brought in market than small games ..............i play only those games ............
catscratches
wombatrpgs wrote:
Guess that depends if you see videogames as more of a timekiller/entertainment or a social thing.
Or neither.
wombatrpgs
catscratches wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Or neither.

Wait what? How do you view them...?
catscratches
As an experience, a piece of art. Not really something to have fun with, but something to think about and feel.
wombatrpgs
Ugh, if only more games were like that.

It's really hard to think of most commercial games that way when they're engineered to sell. Franchise milking and the like.
catscratches
And that's why most commercial games suck.
love_her_freida_pinto
it all depends on my mood. if i feel like playing a mini game which is fun then i'll play it. otherwise i would rather play a decent game on my Wii, PSP or Left 4 Dead on PC.
sourojit
The Game can be small or big does not matter but the story line should be good,that automatically pulls us towards it.Though playing it may take a considerable part of our time.
wombatrpgs
If you're looking for a good storyline, that sort of narrows things anyway. Small games usually don't have very well-developed storylines just because there isn't much room to work with. Most of the time it's just novelty-based and working off a premise rather than a plot.
piyushbhardwaj
i usually go in for small games like world of goo,crayon deluxe.
these games are divided into small levels and completing a part of it exercises your mind.
games like age of empires are very good when you are playing on lan on not single.
Xaferrow
idk, but i think they are the same. not all small games are suck, and not every big game are good.
each have its own pros and cons