FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

TooL and the Fibonacci sequence

Solon_Poledourus
TooL happens to be one of my favorite bands. Quite a while back, they put out an album called Lateralus. The title track follows the Fibonacci sequence of numbers, which I find very interesting. So I figured, if there are any TooL fans here who have not heard about this, then check out the link below to a video explanation. I think you'll find it fascinating.
This is the general breakdown of the song:
Wikipedia wrote:
Counting between pauses, the syllables in Maynard James Keenan's vocals during the verses form the first few Fibonacci numbers, ascending and descending:[1][2]

[1] Black,
[1] then,
[2] white are,
[3] all I see,
[5] in my infancy,
[8] red and yellow then came to be,
[5] reaching out to me,
[3] lets me see.
[2] There is,
[1] so,
[1] much,
[2] more and
[3] beckons me,
[5] to look through to these,
[8] infinite possibilities.
[13] As below so above and beyond I imagine,
[8] drawn outside the lines of reason.
[5] Push the envelope.
[3] Watch it bend.
The Fibonacci sequence shares a relationship with spirals, which are mentioned several times later in the lyrics.

Additionally, Keenan begins singing at 1:37 into the song. 1 minute 37 seconds, or 97 seconds, is approximately 1.618 of a full minute. This happens to be the golden ratio, which is closely related to the Fibonacci sequence.

The time signatures of the chorus change from 9/8 to 8/8 to 7/8; as drummer Danny Carey says, "It was originally titled 9-8-7. For the time signatures. Then it turned out that 987 was the 17th number of the Fibonacci sequence. So that was cool."

Here is the YouTube video which explains it as the song plays.

Tell me if you know of any other equally interesting TooL songs and their hidden meanings.
jharriman80
I am a big fan of tool, never heard of this though I'm not suprised. It definetely sounds like something those guys would be up to. is lateralus your favorite album? 10,000 days was incredible. It blows me away that they are still out there making great music.
ever check out this site?

http://toolshed.down.net/
Arnie
It seems like OP is a visitor of Encyclopedia Dramatica. Amirite?
Marcuzzo
I love Tool,
I have seen them live twice.
the first time was 2 years ago at Rock Werchter and a few months late at Vorst Nationaal
this was on the 10.000 days tour.
they are Awasome.

on the album Aenema there are 2 tracks that also quite interesting to listen to.
there is Message to Harry Manback and Die Eier Von Satan. which are, to my opinion related.

Message to Harry Manback seems to be a romantic song, but if you listen to the lyrics and understand italian you will soon find that this is pure evil.

and on the other hand die eier von satan seems to be a diabolic song while the lyrics merely are a recipe for cookies

I love this band
Solon_Poledourus
They are my favorite modern rock band. Years ago, one of my brothers was their drum technician for their first major tour. This was during Lollapalooza 1993. That's the first time I saw them live, at Firebird Lake outside Phoenix, AZ. I got to meet the band and all that, it was great.
I liked Lateralus, but I still think Aenema is my favorite overall. 10,000 days gets better every time I listen to it. They are just such a great band, and great pranksters as well.
I've been to the TooLshed site many times, it's the best TooL site out there. I even like it better than the official one.
Arnie wrote:
It seems like OP is a visitor of Encyclopedia Dramatica. Amirite?

Um... I think you lost me.
Arnie
The video you link to in your starting post is featured on the front page of http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com . But apparently it's getting popularity elsewhere on the internet as well.
Solon_Poledourus
Arnie wrote:
The video you link to in your starting post is featured on the front page of http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com . But apparently it's getting popularity elsewhere on the internet as well.

I had no idea. My brother found the YouTube video while randomly looking for TooL songs. Thanks for the info.