FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Socks5 Protocol, Need Some Help.

[FuN]goku
Okay, so 5 days of the week, I'm on a dialup connection (Simply because I'm in a rural area and broadband isn't available , and satellite is too expensive), and I can only get connected at 37.7kbps MAX... And honestly, It's getting to be a pain in the arse.

We're supposed to be getting a Rogers tower out here soon, so that will get rid of dialup Razz .

Anyways, to my point.

I've made myself a Socks4 Server before, and it worked the way i wanted to.

So what i want to do now, is code a Socks5 Server, but with a twist.

I'm going to have a client, and a server, and each will compress/decompress, data sent/received, using 7-Zip.

Why? Well I don't feel like paying for dialup acceleration, in fact, I can't, Seeing as I'm not the one paying for the dialup/phone bill, and I feel like this might work better anyways.

My friend said if i can code it, he'll host the server, so basically I'd be "leeching" off his connection, but it wouldn't really be noticeable.

Now, what i'm really getting at is, I can't find a good article on the Socks5 Protocol.
I tried reading the RFC , and got lost.... the wikipedia article i used for socks4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCKS , Seems like it might be missing some details for Socks5, Such as how the Authentications Work.

So I'm Wondering if anyone knows of a good article that can point me in the right direction, or maybe even explain it yourself if you know. Even some well written C++ code will do. I'll be coding the program in C#, but I'm pretty good at porting code from pretty much any language, but it's just the packet structures i'm interested in, and how the authentications work.

But I'm thinking , if i use this method, I MAY be able to use it for SOME online gaming, by using something like ProxyCap, whereas dialup accelerators from ISP's supposedly only compress web-based things.

Anyways, Thanks In Advance.
Hogwarts
[FuN]goku wrote:
I'm going to have a client, and a server, and each will compress/decompress, data sent/received, using 7-Zip.

I know this is a brilliantly well thought out idea and all, but .. it's been done. And on a much, much larger scale than what you're talking about. Why not just SSH to his server and set up a tunnel using gzip compression? You also have the added bonus of encyrption ^^
[FuN]goku
Hogwarts wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

I know this is a brilliantly well thought out idea and all, but .. it's been done. And on a much, much larger scale than what you're talking about. Why not just SSH to his server and set up a tunnel using gzip compression? You also have the added bonus of encyrption ^^
Ah. I'm coding it in C#, which is a language by MS, although you CAN run it under mono.. and Possibly Wine, I'd rather it have under windows.

Now, he DOES, have a *Nix server , and I DO have a shell on it, I'd rather not bother him about gzip or w/e.

Plus, I need the coding experience. Usually , if i need a program for something, i try to make it myself first.

Actually i think i managed to get MOST of the socks5 stuff down last night (With a bit of trouble). Still a few things I'm unclear about though, such as how the User/Pass auth works. Is it encrypted? or plaintext? or does one have an md5 hash? or how does it work.

0x01 - GSSAPI
0x02 - Username/Password

I worked the No Auth into mine, but I'd like to have some sort of authentication so how do those 2 mentioned above work?
umeshtangnu
check these links
ss5.sourceforge.net/
jsocks.sourceforge.net/
and u can search google for socks server
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=socks+server