FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cname Redirection for Subdomains?

Arty
My domain is hosted on Godaddy, and it is pointed to ns1frihost.net and ns2frihost.net.

I know I can create subdomains on my cPanel account and have them link to a certain directory on my site, but what if I want a subdomain to link to an off-site host?

For example, I have my main site hosted on domain.com, but I also have a Blogger blog and I want blog.domain.com to link to it. Is that possible?

Can I do this using cPanel or Godaddy? I tried using Godaddy but it was too complicated and I have no idea how to modify anything other than my domain's cname information.
Faraz
Yes, you can do this through Cpanel. Go to your Cpanel, click on Subdomains, Click on Manage Redirection in Actions and then enter a link.
Arty
-.- I'm talking about setting the cname settings of a subdomain, not redirection.
Arty
I still need help on this.
Bondings
We currently don't allow dns control due to potential abuse. So at the moment this isn't possible on Frihost. Your registrar might offer the possibility though.
mathiaus
You would need to change your dns back to godaddy, create a main A record pointed to frihost. Then create another A record of the subdomain you want for your blog pointed to blogger.
Don't forget to then setup a MX record for where ever you use email!
Arty
Can someone give me step by step instructions?

Ok, So I logged in to godaddy, clicked on domains, and clicked on my domain.

Then I clicked on nameservers, and I clicked on "Host my domains here."
Is that what I'm supposed to do in order to set my subdomain's DNS?
mathiaus
Change DNS back to godaddy -> http://help.godaddy.com/topic/165/article/664
Setup a subdomain for your blog -> http://help.godaddy.com/topic/165/article/2584

You might want to try the support over at godaddy as they will understand their site better than we do.
Arty
Ok, I've called Godaddy and they told me what I needed to know.

Right now I have my domain "hosted" on Godaddy, and I have the subdomain pointed to a google server.

Here's what I see:

The Godaddy representative told me that the @ pointed to the host 97.74.144.124 means that my domain is pointed to Godaddy's hosting.
And also that the host blog pointed to ghs.google.com means that my subdomain "blog" is pointed to Google.

Now all he says is that I need to change 97.74.144.124 to Frihost's IP, or something.
Is that possible? If so, what is frihost's hosting IP or something? I don't really know how this works.
mathiaus
As you are on server 3.... 64.92.163.26
Arty
I thought I was on server 1.
mathiaus
Indeed you are sorry. 72.249.102.79
Arty
Alright, I decided to ditch the Godaddy's hosting and use Afraid.org instead.
But, all I had to do is enter that IP address on the section called "A" and my domain would link to my frihost hosting, right?

-----

Now about afraid.org, I changed my domain's nameservers to link to Afraid.org, so what do I have do to link my domain to my website on Frihost?