FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to get a word 2003 .doc file onto website

silencet25
Im new to this and dont know anything about hosting i used to use a site builder until i figured out i could make a better site using word.
So..
I dont know how to put my word document onto my website i have it uploaded and that i just can't put it front page, and how do i put more pages do i use links (if yes what link do i use to the files like the filename or www.syncorp.frih.org/file path/file name or www.syncorp.frih.org/file name)
1 last question,
If i get a new domain name will I be able to change my email account from silence@syncorp.frih.org to silence@syncorp.com or do i have to get that from the domain name site i get it from.

Sorry for all the questions,
SilenceT25.
Diablosblizz
Why ... are you ... using a Word document as a webpage? :S
silencet25
Diablosblizz wrote:
Why ... are you ... using a Word document as a webpage? :S

lol im tryin i can setup the sidebox with links and that stuff
Faraz
silencet25,

Save the word document as Webpage and name it 'index'. It will become your homepage.

For the links you can do either. For example: if the page is on the same place as your front page, then the link would be www.syncorp.frih.org/file or filename. If it's in a directory, then the link would be: www.syncorp.frih.org/path/file or path/filename.

And yes, you will be able to change your email account.
silencet25
Faraz wrote:
silencet25,

Save the word document as Webpage and name it 'index'. It will become your homepage.

For the links you can do either. For example: if the page is on the same place as your front page, then the link would be www.syncorp.frih.org/file or filename. If it's in a directory, then the link would be: www.syncorp.frih.org/path/file or path/filename.

And yes, you will be able to change your email account.

I tried but it wont work i tried to save it as a doc on it i tried renaming it to .html i made it a webpage (.mht) it dosent seem to work
silencet25
God i wish this stuff wasnt so confusing does this stuff always have to be a pain in the ass i mean im just trying to get a simple webpage on the front of my website Sad
rvec
in word try to do "save as" and save it as an htm or html file. Then save it as index.html or index.htm and upload it to your webroot.
Arty
silencet25 wrote:
If i get a new domain name will I be able to change my email account from silence@syncorp.frih.org to silence@syncorp.com or do i have to get that from the domain name site i get it from.

Yep, when you add the domain to your hosting, you'll have the option to create an email using that domain.

I would highly recommend learning basic HTML. It's really not that hard. You open up a new file using notepad, type the code in it, and save it with a .htm extension

Word is really not used for building websites. Word is for making documents. I think you can use it to create websites, but it is really bad at it.

Since you just want to get a simple website, just make a simple html page. Smile It's not going to be simple with word, since it will probably not look exactly the way you want it to look.

Here's what I got while googling how to make a web page with word:
Quote:

Once the "Save As" dialog box appears, type the name of the file you want to save as in the "File name" box. For example, if you are making the main page of your website, you should call the page "index" (without the quotes). Then click the "Save as type" drop down box to expand it.

There are two possible options that you can use to create HTML files (ie, web page files). Select either the "Web Page (*.htm; *.html)" option or the "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm; *.html)" option.

The "Web Page, Filtered" option creates smaller and more standard web pages that contain only the formatting code understood by web browsers and search engines. The "Web Page" option creates HTML pages with additional hidden Word formatting code. This additional code is (hopefully) ignored by web browsers and search engines, but is used interally by Word when you open that same file again to edit it. If the additional code is not present, when you reopen the file in Word, you may not be able to use some of Word's features on your document in the usual way. (For example, some facilities may be disabled.)

In view of this, unless you know what you're doing, you probably should save it as "Web Page". Your page will not be considered as 100% valid HTML, but then, since you're using a wordprocessor to create the page, it probably isn't going to be 100% valid anyway, whether or not you use the "Filtered" option. (It will probably also be more bloated than it needs to be.)

http://www.thesitewizard.com/faqs/create-website-with-microsoft-word-office.shtml
silencet25
I know some basic html like popup alerts (the little code 1's) and i know how to do a full form with proccessor and all the types of input things.
Thats all ive tried to learn cause i used to use a builder for my site and
I saved it as htm renamed it index.html but how do i make it my front page it wont upload to it.
Arty
I think .htm and .html are the same.

Anyway, any file with index in front of it will be your front page.

I'm not sure about uploading it though. Figure out how to use an FTP client, don't use the site upload if that's what you are doing.