FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Domains on Frihost

chiragpatnaik
I read the domains sticky and am relatively well conversant with using and redirecting domains.

Unfortunately I can't change the name servers to frihost directly as I have a rather complex set of redirections in place.

My domain is on godaddy,
Name servers are set to another service xyz.com
My MX server is set to live.com (mail for my domain is on hotmail)
I have CNAME redirections to ghs.google.com for my blog on blogspot.

Can I set up another CNAME redirection (sub domain) to point here at frihost for the content beng hosted here?

(It's a long story to explain such a complicated setup. But for the moment I can't touch the other settings)
froginabox
I'm not quite sure how you're getting Live mail from MX, but we'll ignore that for now.

I'd ask that you post some more information, but here's a stab at it.

Say you own frihostisawesome.com, for conversation points here.
You have registered through GoDaddy, and can assign name servers to any place. For real-world purposes, let's say you've used Afraid.org for your DNS. You would use Afraid to set your MX to Live.com. If you want the "main part" of your url to point to the blogspot blog, you would set the CNAME for frihostisawesome.com to your Blogspot page.

Continuing...

You can then set a subdomain through Afraid to point to Frihost. Say, complicatedsetup.frihostisawesome.com Wink
You would set the CNAME for complicatedsetup.frihostisawesome.com to be whatever Frihost content you want. Just make sure that the frihost content you create is under the domain frihostisawesome.com, and then you create the complicatedsetup subdomain within that domain.

You're right, its very complicated, but I think that answers your question. Let me know if I didn't.
chiragpatnaik
froginabox wrote:
I'm not quite sure how you're getting Live mail from MX, but we'll ignore that for now.

I'd ask that you post some more information, but here's a stab at it.

Say you own frihostisawesome.com, for conversation points here.
You have registered through GoDaddy, and can assign name servers to any place. For real-world purposes, let's say you've used Afraid.org for your DNS. You would use Afraid to set your MX to Live.com. If you want the "main part" of your url to point to the blogspot blog, you would set the CNAME for frihostisawesome.com to your Blogspot page.

Continuing...

You can then set a subdomain through Afraid to point to Frihost. Say, complicatedsetup.frihostisawesome.com Wink
You would set the CNAME for complicatedsetup.frihostisawesome.com to be whatever Frihost content you want. Just make sure that the frihost content you create is under the domain frihostisawesome.com, and then you create the complicatedsetup subdomain within that domain.

You're right, its very complicated, but I think that answers your question. Let me know if I didn't.

Yup I got it. I had tried what you stated above, but it took some 48 hours for the subdomain to start pointing here. Only thing was that I had to move all the apps I had already put up in the previous url to the new url.

BTW, Live offers hosted mail service on your domain. You just need to point the mx servers to them.

http://domains.live.com/

so I could have an id going as complicatedsetup@frihostisawesome.com hosted on live
froginabox
Oh nice, I didn't realize Live offered that service, that's pretty neat.

The way DNS is structured it can take a day or so to propagate across the web.