FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Help me to write a Book Dedication !!! - The result :D





mathiaus
Hi all,

I have won in an auction for charity, a signed, special edition set of His Dark Materials by Philip Pulman with a dedication of my choice.

I have no idea what I want for a dedication though so am asking for suggestions. Please just throw as many as you can at me.

$frih to all those who come up with something I really like! Very Happy
Twotone
How about this.....

Dear Mathiaus I have great pleasure in presenting you with this signed copy of my works
in recognition of your generosity. I do hope you have as much enjoyment reading them.
Yours in appreciation Philip Pulman

Charity is always a good thing and deserves recognition
apple
I say let him write what he wants to.
deanhills
mathiaus wrote:
Hi all,

I have won in an auction for charity, a signed, special edition set of His Dark Materials by Philip Pulman with a dedication of my choice.

I have no idea what I want for a dedication though so am asking for suggestions. Please just throw as many as you can at me.
Congratulations! I looked at the books, and they are really impressive. It probably needs to be as short and simple as you can manage:

To Mathiaus, in recognition of his generosity.
mathiaus
Thanks for the suggestions so far Smile

I didn't really want to mention myself as it might seem a little big-headed and I may not keep them (either pass on to family or give back to charity [Not sell!!!])



One I thought of was;
"To you, the reader of this book" but I was hoping I (or someone else) could think of something better Razz



If you want to look at the books - http://www.marketplace09.com/Auction/Auction.aspx?AuctionID=136
deanhills
mathiaus wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far Smile

I didn't really want to mention myself as it might seem a little big-headed and I may not keep them (either pass on to family or give back to charity [Not sell!!!])



One I thought of was;
"To you, the reader of this book" but I was hoping I (or someone else) could think of something better Razz



If you want to look at the books - http://www.marketplace09.com/Auction/Auction.aspx?AuctionID=136
Strange that you should mention it. I was thinking exactly that after the posting that perhaps you would feel uncomfortable with the suggestions along ego lines. Probably unfair that they asked you to write the text for it. Since it was charity that got you the book in the first place, why not donate it back to charity in the dedication in the first place? Or a library/club/member of the family. Then ask them to put a dedication to charity or a member of your family/school/library instead of you? Once you have someone else in mind it will probably be much easier for you think of the right wording.
AftershockVibe
What was the charity the auction aided?


Edit: Eurrghh. Grammar fail!
tchaunt
I don't mean to sound rude, but isn't the author supposed to come up with the book dedication? It seems odd that they requested you to come up with what you want.
mathiaus
AftershockVibe wrote:
What was the charity the auction aided?


Edit: Eurrghh. Grammar fail!


lol Laughing

The charity was Comic Relief.


Deanhills, the problem is that I don't know what I want to do with them or who to give them to (assuming I don't keep them all to myself! Razz )


tchaunt wrote:
I don't mean to sound rude, but isn't the author supposed to come up with the book dedication? It seems odd that they requested you to come up with what you want.

The idea is that this isn't just like the book you buy in the shop. It is signed by the author, comes as a limited edition box set and to make it more special, the winner/buyer decides upon a dedication.
standready
mathiaus wrote:

One I thought of was;
"To you, the reader of this book" but I was hoping I (or someone else) could think of something better Razz

I like it! Maybe add "enjoy!" to the end. This would be something simple and would work well if you choose to pass the books along.
deanhills
mathiaus wrote:

Deanhills, the problem is that I don't know what I want to do with them or who to give them to (assuming I don't keep them all to myself! Razz )
I'm not good with dealing with gifts either. Perhaps a simple one as suggested by you: "Dedicated to you, the reader" would be the answer then.
tchaunt
Oh. So basically, the dedication was sort of used as a way to get more money for the charity. Like the others have said, you should go with your simple "To you, the reader. May the words in this book take you to a new world." I don't know why, but I just added the end.
mathiaus
tchaunt wrote:
Oh. So basically, the dedication was sort of used as a way to get more money for the charity. Like the others have said, you should go with your simple "To you, the reader. May the words in this book take you to a new world." I don't know why, but I just added the end.


That's actually quite relevant to the story Razz
Hogwarts
I'm thinking, mathiaus, that a dedication related to the story would be best, you know? Say, as with the previous one, one which ties into the story.
mathiaus
$200frih to tchaunt and my thanks to everyone else for their help Smile


I'll -close- this for now but re-open when I get my book to show tchaunt's work in a published book Razz
mathiaus
re-open-

Hello again everyone Very Happy

Well they came a good while ago, I just haven't had the time to take the photos! In the end there were two sets of books! There was a set of hardback and one paperback, all signed, all limited edition and one of the limited edition book box things and a letter to prove their authenticity.
Best money I've ever spent, and it went to a good chairty that will do something good in the word! I'm very happy Laughing Laughing

Please enjoy the images....




tchaunt
Wow....that is so awesome. I just realized the author of those amazing books wrote down MY words for once. What a great feeling. And to think, you only had to pay him to do so. xD
mathiaus
tchaunt wrote:
Wow....that is so awesome. The just realizes the author of those amazing books wrote down MY words for once. What a great feeling. And to think, you only had to pay him to do so. xD


everyone has their price! :p
tchaunt
Holy crap; I should have looked at that post. There are so many typos. I've got to fix them!

xD Yeah, I suppose they do.
deanhills
Thanks for the awesome photos mathiaus, and congratulations, looks as though it is going to take up quite a bit of space on your bookshelf. Did you have to get rid of some books, or did you create a special spot for it? Smile

Also congrats to tchaunt. Simple wording but very effective, sort of says it all in a special way. Applause
standready
Congratulations Mathiaus! Those look awesome! Thanks for the photos as well. Something to enjoy for many years.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.