FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

text-link-ads.com and PR dilemma

leontius
These few months, I have been trying to participate in text-link-ads.com, marketplace for links. I managed to rake more dollars a month with the website compared to a year with adsense (yeah I dunno why my clickthrough rate is so low).

However, after I put up the premium links in the site, its pagerank decreased from 4 to 3 to now 0 (!) in the course of ~ 3 months. The links seem to be the culprit (although I'm not 100% sure, probably about 99%). Googling gives you loads of info about how much Google hates bought links like this.

Despite all the pain, traffic from google does not seem to decrease that much (it's actually increasing). PR obviously is not the only factor for SERP ranking.

Should I ditch text-link-ads so that I can restore the PR back to normal? I mean, just how valuable is PR if it doesn't visibly affect my traffic?
GB
What are your SERPS? And how valuable are these links? It seems to me that the PR sinking is only a first warning sign. It may look like all is well right now, but in the near future that traffic might dry up.
leontius
GB wrote:
What are your SERPS? And how valuable are these links? It seems to me that the PR sinking is only a first warning sign. It may look like all is well right now, but in the near future that traffic might dry up.

I have never been too much concerned about SERPS so I don't know whether my rank increased or decreased.

The links are all quite relevant to one of my post. Most came from blog posts and forums which might not be that valuable (but they did bring traffic in).

Warning sign... I hope not... Until now, traffic does not seem to be harmed.
sciencegto
I had once PR 4 website and sell the text links via Backlinks.com and now my home page PR n/a. But other pages within my site still had a PR1 and I did drop it because that is my only way to generate income. Maybe I will build new site for next PR update.
shkhanal
Lot more informative. Though I have neither bought nor sold the text links. But I put a link for link exchange. I think its better to remove that link.
leontius
shkhanal wrote:
Lot more informative. Though I have neither bought nor sold the text links. But I put a link for link exchange. I think its better to remove that link.

I think if it is an exchange you don't need to remove it. After all, google wants links to be some kind of endorsement between pages, so if two websites really "endorse" each other it should be even beneficial for both websites (because the amount of endorsers increases).

Google hates premium links because they are more like products (you get it if you pay), not endorsements. So a website can amass PR by buying links, which are not good (soon search results will be filled by high-budget websites, not high-quality websites).
sciencegto
Some method that I read if you sell text links, you should remove them temporarily before Google PR update.
distantship
I think it depend on what types of site you are running, if you are running a blog, I don't think google would detect paid links so fast if the site you link to isn't a bad neighbor. I think you could keep selling links but do overdo it, but have to careful the buyer sites, if the buyer sites have good pr too, you could have no problem, also, I don't think the reason of your pr drop would solely because the link you sold, cos' there are a lot of factors in google pr calculating and they are still changing, so, you really don't know the reason why you dropped and i don't think remove the link would get you anywhere the next pr update, if i were you, maybe i would buy pr6+ links to get it up again.