FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good recipe for fish

jabce85
Anyone have any unique, interesting, and most importantly good recipe for any type of fish.. i know these forums have a ton of people from all over the world, so it would be interesting to get some recipes from some of you if you've got them! thanks!
sana618
i use this site whenever i want to cook fish...

http://www.khanapakana.com/RecipeSearch.aspx?s=fish%20cutlet&pn=0

http://www.euroresidentes.com/euroresiuk/Recipies/fish/fish-recipes.htm

but i guess you wanted something like the family recipe, well others can give it to you i think
fineshine06
My favorite kind of fish to make is swordfish. Usually I just put some lemon on with cilantro and bake it.

I looooove fish!

I realize that wasn't very helpful, haha, but my wife does all the cooking.
Solon_Poledourus
Get a large salmon fillet or whole salmon. Rub generously with butter.
Place it on a large piece of aluminum foil.
Mince 3 cloves of garlic and cover the fish with it. Add salt and pepper per taste.
Chop various vegetables, such as acorn squash or summer squash, zucchini, carrots, etc. Surround the fish with these vegetables on the foil.
Cut 3 lemons into smaller wedges and place on top of the fish, with cilantro.
Fold the aluminum foil around the fish and other ingredients until sealed. Take a toothpick or other pointed instrument and poke 10 or 12 small holes in the top of the foil.

You can bake this in an oven, but the best way is to place it on a grill over hickory or other aromatic wood. Make sure the coals are glowing hot, but not flaming up. Let it simmer over the coals until the veggies are done, but not turned to mush(times will vary depending on grill heat). It usually takes me about an hour or so, depending on how much veggies I have. My brother and I came up with this recipe during a hurricane which knocked out our power, and everything we cooked was on a grill.

You can also add in shrimp or clams, basically anything that you think would taste good with salmon. The lemon and fish and veggies will all flavor each other, and it tastes wonderful. It's a great summer time meal, especially if you are outdoors.
soljarag
my favorite recipe for fish is sashimi Smile
Solon_Poledourus
Oh yes. I love the sashimi too. So much so that I learned how to make it at home so I don't blow 90 bucks at the local sushi house every week. I'm not a pro at making it, but good enough to make the things I like. The hardest part is finding sashimi grade fish. Even in Florida, where most of the state is coastline, it's not easy to find. Or I might just be too lazy sometimes to look hard enough for it.
jabce85
wow, thanks a lot for the info.. i will definitely have to look into some of these!
gmiller
I also like to eat fish dishes but know only 1 dish of Fish. If some one know more dishes of fish then please tell me.
Crinoid
Dietetic: place piece of salmon fillet of Teflon frying pan, add black pepper, salt, herbs you like (oregano, dill or any other), low heat, fry until ready. Serve with greens on the side.
Done. No muss, no fuss Cool

Fish soup: boil together cut to the biting size fish, potatoes, carrots, white root (parsley or any other). Add pepper, salt, herbs. Will be ready as soon as potatoes are ready. Adds some diversity to the menu
Wink

Recipe to keep, not to eat fish:
Get aquarium, add water, rock and/or plants. Buy fish you just have to have.
Love it, care for it, never eat fish anymore...
Solon_Poledourus
Here's one I did recently.
Get some catfish. Cut it into small bite size chunks.
Get some Bisquick pancake batter(I'm serious). Prepare as if you are making pancakes.
Dip the catfish chunks into the liquid batter, then fry in deep saucepan with vegetable oil.

The batter makes a wonderful breading for the fish, and it's delicious to dip in hot sauce or tartar sauce.
Homemade tartar sauce:
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise.
3 tsp lemon juice(or lime juice).
3 or 4 tbsp diced dill pickles, or dill relish.
Pepper to taste(not necessary, but I like it).
Pinch of tarragon is nice too.
A small ammount of drained capers may be used, but I don't use them.
sana618
Crinoid wrote:
Dietetic: place piece of salmon fillet of Teflon frying pan, add black pepper, salt, herbs you like (oregano, dill or any other), low heat, fry until ready. Serve with greens on the side.
Done. No muss, no fuss Cool

Fish soup: boil together cut to the biting size fish, potatoes, carrots, white root (parsley or any other). Add pepper, salt, herbs. Will be ready as soon as potatoes are ready. Adds some diversity to the menu
Wink

Recipe to keep, not to eat fish:
Get aquarium, add water, rock and/or plants. Buy fish you just have to have.
Love it, care for it, never eat fish anymore...

have been following this last recipe for a few months now and i love every moment of it.
as for never eating fish, i do eat them but very rarely. followed your first recipe and it did come out just nice. thanks, easiest fish recipe ever.
deanhills
Think I can live with Solon's nice recipe. Sounds really good. Especially with freshly caught fish.

I wonder how good canned fish is really these days. And one hears so much about mercury content and I wonder how bad this mass production and processing of fish have become. Perhaps Solon's idea of living on an island and probably catching your own fish, has to be the healthies. The alternative being to avoid it. I'm partial to salmon but think the freshly caught variety from the ocean has to be a better alternative. Also for some reason I prefer Atlantic Salmon to Pacific. Don't know why that is. Anyone else experienced a preference for the one or the other?
Solon_Poledourus
deanhills wrote:
Think I can live with Solon's nice recipe. Sounds really good. Especially with freshly caught fish.
Thanks for the kudos. I try to catch all the fish I eat, but I don't really have the time to. So most of the salmon and other not-so-common fish in my area, I get from local fish markets, who catch a good variety and have fair prices.
deanhills wrote:
I wonder how good canned fish is really these days. And one hears so much about mercury content and I wonder how bad this mass production and processing of fish have become. Perhaps Solon's idea of living on an island and probably catching your own fish, has to be the healthies. The alternative being to avoid it. I'm partial to salmon but think the freshly caught variety from the ocean has to be a better alternative. Also for some reason I prefer Atlantic Salmon to Pacific. Don't know why that is. Anyone else experienced a preference for the one or the other?
Mercury content is negligible. I have heard alot about it too, but never had a problem, and I eat alot of salmon, which supposedly has one of the highest levels of mercury. As far as Atlantic vs. pacific salmon... I prefer Atlantic as well. Given the chance, however, I would prefer Alaskan river salmon to either of the oceanic salmon types. Alaskan silver salmon is just truly amazing.