FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


wich is best operating system for gaming ?





gethere
i want to know which is the best operating system for gaming
i mean windows VISTA sp1 or windows XP sp3
i bought a new machine recently and im going to get a good graphics card and
i want to know which operating system do i have to go
Diablosblizz
Do you need Direct X 10 at all? If you do, Vista. If not XP will do your computer very well. By the way, how much ram will this system have?
gethere
Diablosblizz wrote:
Do you need Direct X 10 at all? If you do, Vista. If not XP will do your computer very well. By the way, how much ram will this system have?



i have a 2 gig ram and going to upgrade it to 4..
my motherboard suports upto 8gb...but im currently running under 32bit operating system
is there any advantages in 64bit os
Fire Boar
32-bit XP won't support 8 gig of RAM, it will only detect 4, minus whatever you have on your graphics card. On the other hand, 64-bit XP is incompatible with loads of games, and Vista just plain sucks. My advice? Stick with 32-bit XP, the extra RAM isn't very important.
Diablosblizz
You could try the Windows 7 RC coming out on the 5th. Vista is ... well ... I don't want to say crap but I don't want to say perfect. I've used Vista since Christmas and it's been good. I have only had to reinstall it once for some odd retarded reason (that I still don't know). I had the beta of Windows 7 laying on my server (downloaded it previously, just never did anything with it) and so far I love it! It's a light more light-weight than Vista. Less services and less RAM! It's pretty good. It's still in Beta though, so nothing perfect but it does the job great!\

XP-64 bit is horrible. The amount of programs that are supposed to work either don't or crash a lot. It's just not worth it. Windows Vista / Windows 7 (I believe) both work great in the 64-bit area. If you don't need more than 3 GB (that's all that Windows 32-bit can handle) then don't worry about getting 4.

I disagree to what Fire Boar said about RAM. RAM can make or break a game. I had 1 GB of ram and CS:S ran with about 30 FPS. Upgraded it to 2.5 and it ran to 50. RAM does make a difference in the speed of programs.
Sphaerenkern
I'd say Windows XP x64 (for >3 GB RAM) with cracked DirectX 10, but it may be a bit difficult to "get".
Diablosblizz
Plus illegal? That's another "biggie."
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
I disagree to what Fire Boar said about RAM. RAM can make or break a game. I had 1 GB of ram and CS:S ran with about 30 FPS. Upgraded it to 2.5 and it ran to 50. RAM does make a difference in the speed of programs.


I meant in large quantities. The difference between 1 and 2.5 is very noticeable, especially if you're running Vista. But 4 gig plus, and under XP? Very little difference, because you simply don't need that much for all but the most high-end games (at the moment) and the OS is only using a few meg. Performance is all about how much you're swapping. Low RAM = more swapping = worse performance. High RAM = less swapping = better performance. Plenty of RAM (3 or more gigabytes) = no swapping at all = great performance.
weableandbob
I'd either say XP, or wait for Windows 7
misterXY
why do people hate vista? been using it, now l like it over xp any day, l have my settings to the way l like'm and very happy. XP or Vista or the new RC1(W7???)
Starrfoxx
For me, XP is better. XP has been friendlier when it comes to older games that date back to the 95 and 98 era. Although not perfect, there are ways to get most of those games to run on XP.

Vista or W7, on the other hand.... not sure. I don't know how W7 will work for older games. Then, I've read that there is this "XP Mode" you can go into, so I don't know what that is exactly.

Direct X 10 is not a big deal from what I've seen and read. But if you must, then you would want Vista or W7.
tamilparks
ya the directx 10 is only be used in VISTA and higher... its not used in XP
Tuvitor
I'm going to say stick with Windows XP, despite the DirectX 10 factor, at least until the RC for Windows 7 is available for public download/install.
{name here}
gethere wrote:
i want to know which is the best operating system for gaming
i mean windows VISTA sp1 or windows XP sp3
i bought a new machine recently and im going to get a good graphics card and
i want to know which operating system do i have to go

XP is slowly going to be phased out. If most of the games you'd want to play on the machine are older, try XP. If you're looking for the newest games, I suggest going with Vista, because you're not going to get much out of XP anymore when DX9 is now outmoded.
_AVG_
Definitely Windows. Not any other OS. Although Mac has become better in recent times due to an increase in the number of games available, Windows is far better.

Yes. As {name here} says, most newly released games run on Vista quite well but some older versions tend to work better on XP. So, unless you like playing games that are fairly old in terms of their release, I think you should be fine with Windows Vista.
ForceRun
Agent ME
Fire Boar wrote:
32-bit XP won't support 8 gig of RAM, it will only detect 4, minus whatever you have on your graphics card. On the other hand, 64-bit XP is incompatible with loads of games, and Vista just plain sucks. My advice? Stick with 32-bit XP, the extra RAM isn't very important.

I know that 64-bit systems often can have driver problems, but that isn't really common any more as most companies have gotten with the program. But I've never heard of games not working on 64-bit, since 64-bit systems can run 32-bit programs fine (just not 32-bit drivers). Maybe a DLL or two may be missing and need some googling.
No reason not to use a 64-bit system if the hardware supports it. And if the computer was sold with more than 4gb of ram, I'd think the maker intended it to be run with a 64-bit system (and used compatible hardware).
jackill
Now, it's free to test new Windows 7. I think it's good oportunity, to try it. Installation can be done under Windows, no need to boot, and dual boot is full supported, so You can install it on separate partition without loosing current system. Vista is good for gaming, but W7 seems to be even better Smile

PS. Free testing need Windows Live account to gain serial key and is provided to 2010.
RipperGOD
Windows XP is always the Chosen 1 OS for the Gamers. But those who wants more RAM can go for Vista.I don' t think one should just go for VISTA cuz of Direct X.
ForceRun
Not really true, most of the gamers that I play with, run Vista and are now starting to run Windows 7. As long as you have good hardware Vista doesn't slow down your gaming at all. And Windows 7 runs faster than both.
Lucy
Xp sp3 would be my choice, I have never been too confident with vista...
soljarag
I would get windows XP ... and when Windows 7 comes out.. you can see how that does, and upgrade to windows 7
Starrfoxx
I'm now actually trying the RC of Windows 7 64 bit, and the OS is very smooth. I really like it. I have had some success and trouble with certain games. Some of it could be that they are old, and some of it could be that I'm running 64 bit. I am dual booting with XP, for now.

Old games giving me a problem so far are:

Star Trek Armada
The 7th Guest

Games that have been successful on 64 bit W7 are:

The Sims 2
Imperium Galactica II
All the Pop Cap Games


As was mentioned in another post, now is a good time to test out W7 and see what is going to work and what isn't going to work. It's free, so why not? Besides, I had a hard drive crash recently, so I need to reinstall everything anyway.

I have noticed that my graphics are richer, brighter, and more colorful with W7 than it ever was with XP. W7 can also play DVD's, and they look fantastic. They look so good, that I see no benefit of getting Blu-Ray at this time.
Starrfoxx
Oh yeah, I'm not sure how useful "compatibility mode" really is. You can select Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, and even Vista. I think it's more of a gimmick though, because it hasn't helped run the games I've had problems with so far.
william
I would say XP SP3 32 bit if you're playing older games and don't find a need for DirectX 10. 32 bit shouldn't hold you back much, if at all. 4 GB under XP is usually more than enough for most tasks, gaming included. However, if you want to play newer games, Vista will do just fine, but you will notice a drop in performance. Just make sure your hardware is up to it. I still game on XP just because I can squeeze out as much performance as possible, and I don't use DirectX 10 that much. However, I highly suggest you try out Windows 7. DirectX 11 support and overall better performance than Vista. It is a very worthy operating system and, if you ask me, what Vista should have been. Using some modded drivers, I've actually benchmarked Windows 7 and found it only a little bit slower in gaming than my XP installation; although my XP installation had a higher overclock. So, all in all, I would say use either XP 32 bit or the Windows 7 RC.


Edit: Small gramatical error.
Diablosblizz
soljarag wrote:
I would get windows XP ... and when Windows 7 comes out.. you can see how that does, and upgrade to windows 7


Actually, he could try Windows 7. I'm using it as we speak. A nice, legal, release candidate can be found here. Like william said, Windows 7 is basically the looks of Vista and the speed of XP combined. It's wonderful, even on it's non-100% stable release.
gtoroap
I suppose that Windows, but only because game developers and hardware developers choose Windows as OS. If they support or choose GNU/Linux, maybe Linux community will have more options. Mac is something undiscovered by game plataform but I think in a couple of years, this situation will change for good.
ProfessorY91
THIS: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Windows_XP_Pirate_Edition is the best operating system for gaming.
Asis
xp ofc. get 3.5gb ram / imba graphic card and play Razz
thedinh
Yes, i thinks the best OS for game till this time ist Window.
donofindia
gethere wrote:
i want to know which is the best operating system for gaming
i mean windows VISTA sp1 or windows XP sp3
i bought a new machine recently and im going to get a good graphics card and
i want to know which operating system do i have to go

OFFCOURSE YOU SHOULD GO FOR XP OR VISTA...........OR YOU CAN ALSO TRY FOR LATEST WINDOWS SEVEN (7)...........
Tuvitor
Windows XP unless you absolutely need DirectX 10 for some reason. If that's the case, go with Windows 7. Skip Vista. It's crap.
thedinh
Tuvitor wrote:
Windows XP unless you absolutely need DirectX 10 for some reason. If that's the case, go with Windows 7. Skip Vista. It's crap.

Crying or Very sad
my operation system can not acccept Win 7. because my systemrequres ist very weak, not anough strong to run Win 7 or Win 7.
there is any athor solution?
PleoMaster
I would say Windows XP and DirectX10 should run smoothly for a decent game Smile
sourojit
If u have too high resources to spent then windows vista may be a choice ,but who likes to be a looser?
so please prefer windows xp for gaming.
But now with new windows 7 ,you will have new experiences of gaming.My games run better in windows 7.
carlospro7
I would say XP or you can experiment with windows 7. I would not even consider Vista, and two gigabytes should be good, and if you have a good graphics card with a lot of memory, then RAM should not be a concern.
thedinh
i have used the window 7. its system requries a strong computer to run all its effects.
thedinh
i thinks if you want to play game on pc, so XP window is the best.
1- every game now can run on window xp system.
2- so many game now can not run on window vists or window 7.
3- if you computer system is not powerful, it can not run the both game and the operation system in the same time
Fake
XP is best

Although i have heard if u just want to run games on it, then windows 2000 is the best choice.

I wont trouble myself with vista

Just going to upgrade straight to Windows Seven. It has better reviews from experts
Related topics
What is your operating system?
Windows XP the best?
Windows install with pen drive? Is it possible?
Why do you use your current operating system?
Best Operating System
which server operating system?
What OS you live
wich is the best antivirus for gaming
Which is better: windows 7 or ubuntu9.10 ?
What operating system do you consider to meet your needs?
What is your favorite operating system?
What windows do you think is the best
Custom Operating System in C#, C++, or Java
What's best windows operating system?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.