FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bootable virus scanner needed (maybe) - any ideas?

DoctorBeaver
A friend of mine has got a virus on his PC that causes it to switch off after 5 minutes. Consequently, he cannot use any of the standard virus clearing software that's available as it doesn't have time to run.

He can run his PC OK in safe mode, but I was told that virus clearing software doesn't always work in safe mode. Can anyone confirm that?

I was wondering, therefore, if there is a virus clearing program that can run as an ISO boot disk? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Diablosblizz
Here are some tutorials on Youtube that I use all the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYIktyeIKqI&feature=channel_page&fmt=18 - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIqNawcQFDs&feature=related&fmt=18 - part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_589Mx21guc&feature=related&fmt=18 - part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiGnVZlfDag&feature=related&fmt=18 - part 4 (not necessary but you can watch if you'd like)

It'll take about 30 minutes in total to get everything working. Other than that you could use avast! to run a scan BEFORE the OS is loaded. Avast! is free and can be downloaded here. If that doesn't work, defiantly try the method from Youtube, as there is no viruses to load while booting off the CD.
DoctorBeaver
Diablosblizz - Thanks for that. I'll check out those vid clips in a while. I've got Avast on my PC but IO wasn't aware you could run it prior to the OS loading. I'll see if I can figure out how to do that & maybe send it to my friend.
Diablosblizz
Doctor, give it a try. To schedule one all you need to do is right-click the ? button in the corner and click "Schedule Boot-Time Scan." Next time you restart your computer it will scan it before it boots!
ocalhoun
"The ultimate boot CD" also includes virus scanners, and it will operate no matter how screwed up your system has become.
DoctorBeaver
ocalhoun - that's nice to know. Thank you.
sanalskumar
Try Trinity rescue kit bootable cd. It is bootable, can run its virus scan, Can check hard disk for errors, can reset any windows passwords... You can download the latest version from their official website for free.
bukaida
Guys, Guys!! My question was How could I integrate the antivirus with the live cd image I have created with Bart PE. I have purchased Kaspersky internet security and want to integrate it with my existing ISO without using another third party software like UBCD4win.The standard plugins in PE-Builder has no option to integrate KIS 2009. I have gone through the Youtube tutorial.But it is entirely based on UBCD4Win and the plugin in Bart PE Builder for that. Can I create it with the combination of Bart PE +WinXP with SP3+ KIS 2009 ?
Diablosblizz
If I am correct, you could just do a fresh Virtual Box install of Windows XP then have Bart PE create a image of the virtual machine. It'll take twice as long though. If you have a computer you can spare for this then it would work perfectly fine.

All you need to do is install XP, install any other programs you'd want on a fresh install (such as Kaspersky) and then use Bart PE to create the image. I have no idea how to create the image though.
bukaida
kaspersky has included a plugin for bart PE. But the paths seems not working with me.Unzipping and running the file from plugin directory of PE builder , couldnot fetch the required files and build procedure failed. I have copied the the entire unzipped rescued folder(Excluding the font fix)to the plugin directory of PE builder. The avp.ini looks like this
Code:

;avp.inf
;PE Builder v3 plug-in INF file for Kaspersky Internet Security
;Created by Kaspersky Lab
;http://www.kaspersky.com

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

[PEBuilder]
Name="Kaspersky Internet Security"
Enable=1
Help="avp.htm"

[WinntDirectories]
a="Programs\avp",2
b="Programs\avp\Temp\Bases",2
c="Programs\avp\Temp\Dskm",2
d="Programs\avp\Temp\Data",2
e="Programs\avp\Temp\Data\en",2
;f="Programs\avp\Temp\Data\%Localization%"

[SourceDisksFolders]
%ProductRoot%=a
%DataRoot%\Bases=b
%DataRoot%\Dskm=c
%DataRoot%\Data\en=e
;%DataRoot%\Data\%Localization%=f

[SourceDisksFiles]
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\klif.sys=2,,6
autorun_avpinstall.cmd=2,,1
avp.reg=a,,1
%DataRoot%\Data\u0607g.xml=d,,6
%DataRoot%\Data\updcfg.xml=d,,6
devcon.exe=2,,6
iresol.inf=20,,6
msports.inf=20,,0

[Append]
nu2menu.xml, avp_nu2menu.xml

My Kaspersky installation folder is
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

and the setup files are at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\english

Both were by default installation and I have not changed anything. There is no folder called Data or Bases in KIS as specified in avp.ini file.

How can I modify the avp.ini for PE Builder to reflect the correct changes?
ether
I can propose erd commander + cureit on flash. If u have problem with trafik erd commander (~50mb) and cure it (~12mb) help u Smile. Just write erd on cd, and boot system with him, cureit on flash, and let's cheking your hard.
bukaida
Kaspersky has included a linux based bootable rescue cd which is working fine.All you have to do is download this ISO and burn it in a disk. Then boot the computer from that disk.It doesnot require to purchase anything.
Download link

Kaspersky Rescue Disk(FTP)
FrightKnight
Good day DoctorBeaver, I experienced some viruses before that cannot be deleted by standard antivirus. In fact, they're not being detected at all. I just used Avast to clean that up. It scanned my pc upon bootup - before my computer even entered the WINDOWS screen. I find it very useful to use Avast if my Antivir can not delete a certain virus, all I do is to make Avast scan my PC upon boot up.

I do this trick two to three times already and so far, this trick never failed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
jackill
Try DrWeb Live CD:

Quote:
ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/livecd/20090526042001/