FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dog or Cat... Can't Decide!

Cat or Dog?
Dog!
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Cat!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Killah
Hi Guys,

I've been allowed to get a pet and been given the choice for a Cat or a Dog but, there's one problem! I can't decide! Question

Can someone post on this topic and say which one that they prefer! (Also vote for it in the poll I added!)

The animal with the most post's and vote's for it by 15 days, will win... And of course, I will be able to decide which one to get! Smile
ocalhoun
If you get a dog, get a real dog. (Real dogs are ones that were originally bred to do some task, not just to look pretty and sit on your lap.) If you want something to look pretty and sit on your lap, get a cat.

As for which you should choose, it all depends on you, really, neither is intrinsically better than the other.

If you have lots of time, and want a pet you can interact with more, you'll want a dog. They can do a lot more, be a lot more fun, and even help you with some things if you train them. You can also have a lot more fun with your (well behaved) dog... Take it out to the park and play fetch, or take it along on a vacation. They take time and lots of attention to train well though. If you can't spend several hours a day with your pet (with a good portion of that spent training and playing), you shouldn't get a dog.

Cats, however, can be cute an loving, and while they don't interact as much, and can't be trained to do as much, they are much lower-maintenance. A cat will do just fine whether you give it a lot of attention, or barely any at all. They don't need to be let out, they don't really need to be exercised, and although they appreciate attention, they don't require it. An ignored cat will just sleep all day, but an ignored dog will misbehave until it gets the attention it wants.

A joke, which sums up the differences between the two rather well:
Dog: "This person feeds me, gives me water, and pets me all the time... He must be God!"
Cat: "This person feeds me, gives me water, and pets me all the time... I must be God!"
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
A joke, which sums up the differences between the two rather well:
Dog: "This person feeds me, gives me water, and pets me all the time... He must be God!"
Cat: "This person feeds me, gives me water, and pets me all the time... I must be God!"
Cute! Smile I think there are some dogs that could border on "cat" as well as some cats who are pretty cuddly, but they are the exceptions of course. For example quite a number of years ago my friend had a Doberman who was completely taken by an orphan kitten. That kitten followed it around as well, everywhere. Lucy, the Doberman, was God Smile
Crinoid
I wouldn't do that this way.

You see, each animal is different, each individual cat or dog. To be compatible, you have to take a look at the animal and know at once that this is your friend - for years. It's something ranging from absolute understanding and acceptance (from both sides, at once) to admiration from your side and acceptance - from another side.

Even then could be breed- or personal life experience-related things you may do not like later, but will have to live with this. Both, cats and dos, have more vocalizing (barking) breeds, in time when you prefer to concentrate on studies, watching TV or just sleep. All indoor male cats I had, had the first calling to be like roosters, waking up everybody in the unholy hours in the morning, the second calling was being a dog, patrolling territory, being on guard on the windowsill and defending home from mailman and everybody else, then the cat as we know them. All time barking dog will create problems with neighbors and drive you crazy.

Cat or dog, unadvertised features:

1. You will have to clean cat's sandbox daily and carry home the heavy new kitty litter frequently. The good part is that clumping kitty litter covers what you have to remove and absorbs smells, and you can use tools (pardon for details). Male cat, even neutered, produces very strong smell, unbelievable for such small creature. Despite that, I prefer them, with lion-like fur on the neck, that female cats, with all their good behavior, don't have. I also less like shorthair breeds, prefer long hair. Too longhairs, like persians, may have nasal problems, breed related. This all is complicated, love from the first sight is the best way to choose, in my humble experience. If you will adopt from shelter, you may visit 3 or 4 of them and most animals will leave you indifferent, until the one who will be eye stopper.

2. Dogs. You have to walk the streets or parks (could be dangerous in modern times, unless you are muscular type 7 ft/2m high) very early in the morning and very late in the night, not so for exercise, but for dog's bodily functions. And pick up by hand, covered by plastic/paper bag, after it, if law in your country requires it. In other countries you may have to walk very carefully in the morning, maneuvering between "gifts", left on sidewalks by dogs. I don't know what is better - for the dog owner. Breed depended behavior will differ - but you can see when interacting with dog in question. Some dogs' manners are too much to bear, some are too active than your lifestyle can accept, some will react on passing by dogs in unwanted way. For a very large dog you have to have a large enough apartment and body mass, in case it chooses to run and drag you after itself. But you may adore its dignity. For a very small dog, insecure and defenseless, you don't have to have a large place but have to provide it a constant companionship and reassurance that it is still loved and cared for, day after day. Small dos may go into hysterical barking on a great dane or shepherd dogs, who will look at it with raised brows as on person with bad manners, aggressive responding is below their dignity. My parents had such small dog lately.

Overall, spending all childhood and teenage years with dogs, I ended keeping cat, appreciate him and wonder why I didn't get him earlier.

But if you want to take your pet wherever you go and get admiration from persons of opposite (or same) sex, then your choice should be unusual lovable dog, even if it is mixed breed.
jabce85
if you're planning on moving around in the next couple years and you want a pet that's not quite a handfull i would get a cat..
ocalhoun
Crinoid wrote:

2. Dogs. You have to walk the streets or parks (could be dangerous in modern times, unless you are muscular type 7 ft/2m high) very early in the morning and very late in the night, not so for exercise, but for dog's bodily functions. And pick up by hand, covered by plastic/paper bag, after it, if law in your country requires it. In other countries you may have to walk very carefully in the morning, maneuvering between "gifts", left on sidewalks by dogs. I don't know what is better - for the dog owner.

Well, that assumes you live in a cramped city or a stuck-up suburb. Where I'm from, you just let your dog out in the back yard, and let it back in once it shows up at the door.
soljarag
go for a dog Smile
malcolmpreen
General... and all IMHO...

Cats "own" their owners... they'll do what they want...

Dogs are happy to be owned...

A dog is a lot more work.... you have to walk them.... etc etc but also, IMHO much more rewarding...

BTW, definitely agree about "real dogs"... although I would say that any dog can be a real dog.... make sure you treat it like a dog... don't pick it up EVER however small it is... and NEVER keep it in a handbag !!!

Good luck

Malcolm
deanhills
Killah wrote:
Hi Guys,

I've been allowed to get a pet and been given the choice for a Cat or a Dog but, there's one problem! I can't decide! Question

Can someone post on this topic and say which one that they prefer! (Also vote for it in the poll I added!)

The animal with the most post's and vote's for it by 15 days, will win... And of course, I will be able to decide which one to get! Smile
Since this is a personal choice, maybe you need to go to the local SPCA and see how you relate to cats and dogs. Maybe dogs and cats are equal to you, and it should not be a matter of whether it is a dog or cat, but more a matter of whether the dog or cat relates to you in a special way. There has to be that special spark.
michaeljscott93
Dog defiantly!!!

Dogs have a alot more affection for people than cats I believe and they are better companions that way.

Have you decided yet?
hamza1122
Cats for the win! Cats are cleaner and cuter and quiter. Although dogs are more playful but i prefer to get a cat.
Radar
Been thinking about pets a bit today, and I think I'd tend to lean towards cats. Seems like they would be easier to handle, and as has been said already, cause less trouble.
Blacklight28
Well, It is really your decision, I don't think its a good idea to let strangers on the internet decide what pet you have to get.

But if you want my opinion, which you can completely ignore, got for dog. They are loyal companions that will actualy build an emotional bond with you. But you shouldn't get a pet that needs more space than you have. So if you live in a flat, a cat is good, If you've got a big backyard, a dog would be better.

Like I said earlier, don't let others decide for you, make your own decicions. But research the pet before you get it.
desonium
I should pick the dog, because you can play with a dog in the garden or in the park.
With a cat you have less possibilities, you can only take them on your knees.
hangnhu
cat or dog?
there's a saying
cat are above us, dog are below us, pick something our equal
pick a pig, they're inbetween and much like us human Razz
prithvi
hangnhu wrote:

.....pick a pig, they're inbetween and much like us human Razz

Yes, give Pig a chance!

Maybe if voting poll ends up in a tie, then Killah will have to settle for a pig Wink
ArkansasFan02
Well, I prefer a dog, but you should really decide which one is best for your surroundings.
ocalhoun
hangnhu wrote:

pick a pig, they're inbetween and much like us human Razz

In so many ways...

Sometimes I suspect humans are actually a cross-breed between a pig and an ape.
kutekitten
I have a cat, dog and a hamster, of the three, I'd say that the cat is the smartest, as she's figured out how to outsmart both dog and hamster. My dog is small and very cute, and loves to jump on anyone who comes in the door. My cat is adorable and has puss in boots eyes (shrek...) and doesn't need too much attention, although will lay in the middle of the floor in the cutest way possible if she doesn't get as much attention as she'd like. My hamster is also the cutest little fluff ball I've ever seen, and will occasionally fall asleep in my lap. All three of my creatures/pets have been handpicked by me, because of that special spark between a pet and an owner.
To prove why you can't have somebody else choose your pet, both my brother and I were allowed to get a hamster if we paid for it etc etc. and so we went to the pet store and I chose mine, who was incredibly adorable, especially then, although she had a lot of energy, and the pet shop worker who was helping us advised against her, but I took her anyways, my brother picked one and the pet shop person told him the hamster loved him, so my brother got that hamster. As I said before, my hamster has fallen asleep on my lap and is very calm, however, my brothers has a ton of energy and has nipped my brother a few times, mine hasn't.
Chose the pet that you feel attracted to, they will usually be good in the end... each pet has a different personality and should be chosen by that more than by whether they are a cat or a dog. Smile
ponda
I really prefer dogs. Cats are too independent and not cuddly enough for my tase. Dogs are lovable and loyal <3.
aakoj
dog Question
Jintastic
I would pick a dog.

Well not only because I am allergic to cats but because dogs seem to have so many activities linked with them that they really add to your life. Its true when they said Dogs are Man's best friend. haha. But it goes a long way to what dog or cat you are deciding to buy. Every type is different =)
JinTenshi
I personally would pick a dog because I just feel that dogs are more likeable and cute to me. At least they don't scratch you when they are grouchy... Or do they? Haha. And also I think a dog is more fun to be with, cause you can play and run with them and they'd be active most of the day too. While cat will be like asleep for most of the day(Or am I wrong again.. LOL). Just what I feel, I'm really more biased towards dogs. Cause I love them. XD