FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Random Topic Generator





jinger89
Hey all, I have an idea for something: a link that takes you to a random topic.

There are some days when you just don't know where to look to post something. None of the topics you've posted on have been updated, but you're just looking to make a post or two but you don't know where to look for something interesting. Behold, "Random Topic"! Click it and the decision will be made for you what your next topic will be!

How 'bout it?
rvec
that might be a good idea. I just hope new people aren't going to use it too much and post in those really old topics.

*I always liked the random page on wikipedia Razz*
Hogwarts
rvec wrote:
that might be a good idea. I just hope new people aren't going to use it too much and post in those really old topics.

*I always liked the random page on wikipedia Razz*


Maybe have the chance of being directed to older topics exponentially decrease proportional to their age? i.e. 10% less chance of being directed to it for each month it's been inactive. 90% chance for one month, 81% for the next month, 73% for the next month, etc. Maybe more, maybe less. However, it'd hopefully help prevent this from reviving hundreds of oooold posts -- especially considering Frihost is over 48 months old.
jinger89
Hmm, that's a good point. Although, I have to ask, what's so bad about reviving old posts? Is it like the return of the zombie posts or something?
rvec
most of the time they are revived for no reason. Like a help topic asking for help on phpBB2, and someone then posts (2 years later) "You should install phpBB3 it has that function build in!!".
Helios
Nothing we can do about very old posts with very new stupid replies, but to close them manually.

About the suggestion, it would be also nice to sort the topics in such way that the less popular topics from less popular forums are displayed first - to spread new posts over the whole board. On the other hand it's possible to sort the topics by popularity, to increase posting rate maybe.

Anyway, if Bondings starts looking into this - and I doubt he will, but let's say he will - such sorting options are also to be included.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
Nothing we can do about very old posts with very new stupid replies, but to close them manually.

About the suggestion, it would be also nice to sort the topics in such way that the less popular topics from less popular forums are displayed first - to spread new posts over the whole board. On the other hand it's possible to sort the topics by popularity, to increase posting rate maybe.

Anyway, if Bondings starts looking into this - and I doubt he will, but let's say he will - such sorting options are also to be included.


I don't know whether this is possible. But it is obvious that some topics are more popular than others. Possibly there could be a section with a long list of popular threads (shortcuts to them) in descending order? It could be generated automatically perhaps by number of comments? Or number of pages?
LukeakaDanish
If you want obscure posts, just click the "unanswered posts" link provided on the home page.

In fact, I do that every time I visit frihost.
deanhills
LukeakaDanish wrote:
If you want obscure posts, just click the "unanswered posts" link provided on the home page.

In fact, I do that every time I visit frihost.
That is a super idea. Maybe Bondings can put a link to it on the Forums Page.
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
If you want obscure posts, just click the "unanswered posts" link provided on the home page.

In fact, I do that every time I visit frihost.
That is a super idea. Maybe Bondings can put a link to it on the Forums Page.


Like just below the search box in the index page? Already there Razz
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
deanhills wrote:
LukeakaDanish wrote:
If you want obscure posts, just click the "unanswered posts" link provided on the home page.

In fact, I do that every time I visit frihost.
That is a super idea. Maybe Bondings can put a link to it on the Forums Page.


Like just below the search box in the index page? Already there Razz
Laughing Laughing Laughing OK, it was staring us in the face all the time. Sharp eye Hogwarts Laughing Thanks!
jinger89
Ooo, I haven't seen the "unanswered posts" link before. Thanks for pointing that out!
tchaunt
I would really like the random topic feature. I think it would be pretty nice.

xD I never noticed that link. I feel so dumb right now.
ocalhoun
wouldn't a random topic generator be rather inherent with a 'related topics' box?
The random topics would be the ones that aren't really related at all, though the algorithm thinks they are.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
wouldn't a random topic generator be rather inherent with a 'related topics' box?
The random topics would be the ones that aren't really related at all, though the algorithm thinks they are.
Good point. Probably easier to achieve too with related topics (like they have in Google)? Good suggestion.
Related topics
Random page generator
Front page
[c++]random number generator doesnt work
Visual Basic Tutorial - Random numbers
Javascript random code generator script needed please
Astrology Love
One Click and boom! - Random Topic
JAVA - random name generator
What lanugage should I learn next?
Random Topic! I just won $20 at a contest and I feel good!!
random thoughts and quotes.
Microsoft confirms that XP contains random number generator
Python random password generator in one line
Is lottery totally random?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.