FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

need help upgrading RAM

badai
this is from cpu-z

Quote:
DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000)
Size 256 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number M3 68L3223FTN-CCC
Serial number F50285F9
Manufacturing date Week 66/Year 04

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 166 200
CAS# 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS 7 8

as you can see, Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz). the problem is, all shop is selling PC3200 400 Mhz. and they all say it can be use on my computer.

so anybody know if it will work?
Pepperfan
Generally the MHz can be different than you already have. But your memory will only be as fast as your slowest stick of ram. So with out pulling the old ram you will be stuck at 200 MHz. but you will still have a faster machine.

Charles
badai
u didn't answer my question. will that 400Mhz work on my motherboard that (suspected) only support 200Mhz.

some people say PC3200 will, and always will run at 200Mhz. that its' native speed. but when you install 2 identical pieces, it will run at double (400Mhz), and that's why the manufacturer label it as 400Mhz. and some shop even said PC3200 and DDR400 is the same thing. there is no such thing as PC3200 200Mhz. 200Mhz is PC1600.

is it true? CPU-Z can't be wrong. it clearly said my RAM is PC3200 200Mhz. not PC3200 400Mhz or PC1600 200Mhz
mOrpheuS
Wikipedia wrote:
PC3200 is DDR SDRAM designed to operate at 200 MHz using DDR-400 chips with a bandwidth of 3,200 MB/s. As DDR stands for Double Data Rate this means that the effective clock rate of PC3200 memory is 400 MHz.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

The RAM that you are getting in shops is the same one as the one already installed in your system - it will work.
badai
ok. i'll go buy now. i'll buy as the shop suggest, get 2 512MB instead of 1pc of 1G. i'll let u guys know if it work.
badai
this is the report from cpu-z after installing new RAM

Quote:
DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC1000 (64 MHz)
Part number K
Serial number 60223831
Manufacturing date Week 51/Year 08

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 166 64
CAS# 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 1
RAS# Precharge 3 1
TRAS 7 3

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number K
Serial number 6D246849
Manufacturing date Week 51/Year 08

Attributes
Number of banks 1
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 166 200
CAS# 2.5 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS 7 8

what I don't understand is why DIMM #1 Max bandwidth is PC1000 (64 MHz). both are exactly the same.

edit: something wrong with cpu-z report generator. in the main window, it shows both RAMs are PC3200 200Mhz. and runs at dual channel.
KHO
I'm noticing the following as a key element in the first listing:
Code:
PC1000 (64 MHz)

Now, what this entails is that BOTH/ALL of your RAM will be running at 64MHz. My advice is to remove that PC1000 stick and see the speed bolster on the second stick.

EDIT:: After further review of your question, I feel it vital to note that according to this readout, the reason for stick #1 being 64 MHz, is that it is in fact a PC1000 rather then PC3200 or the like. You can verify this by removing the stick of RAM and reading the information on the sticker.
badai
it's exactly the same RAM. as i said something wrong with cpu-z report generator. everest also report it's PC3200 200Mhz running at dual channel.

you can't have it running it dual channel if it's different kind of RAM.

maybe what you didn't notice, I already wrote

Quote:
what I don't understand is why DIMM #1 Max bandwidth is PC1000 (64 MHz). both are exactly the same.

at the bottom there, right before i add something is wrong with cpu-z report generator.
KHO
Do you have another RAM slot you can insert the first stick into?

And it could very well be that everest is reporting false information =\
Your best bet to get the actual speed of the RAM with absolute certainty would be to boot into the BIOS and go into some kind of "Advanced Power Management" where you would be able to monitor the voltage and MHz of the RAM from a BIOS view (which is very accurate). If in your BIOS it reports that both sticks are at the proper speed, then promptly ignore anything Everest might tell you. But if the BIOS reports that one stick is running at a hindered speed, try changing the RAM slot. Make sure to keep the 2 sticks corresponding in 1&2 or 3&4 for dual channel support.
badai
i'm fairly confident both cpu-z and everest are right, and cpu-z report generator is messed up. no need to restart and go to bios. i don't even know where to look for it in bios.

and on all motherboard that i know, if you want to run it on dual channel with 2 pieces of RAM, you need to put it on either DDR1 and DDR3, or DDR 2 and DDR4.

notice the color of the slot? they always paint DDR1 and DDR3 the same color, and DDR2 and DDR4 the other same color.

ahh.. i'm gonna stop watching this topic. kind of wasting my time.
KHO
badai wrote:

and on all motherboard that i know, if you want to run it on dual channel with 2 pieces of RAM, you need to put it on either DDR1 and DDR3, or DDR 2 and DDR4.

notice the color of the slot? they always paint DDR1 and DDR3 the same color, and DDR2 and DDR4 the other same color.

BTW, this information is not accurate. While many of the motherboards produced do have 1&3 and 2&4 corresponding, a significant amount actually have 1&2 and 3&4. A simple google image search reveals this to be true:
http://images.google.com/images?q=motherboard%20with%20dual%20channel%20ram&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Noting the second and third image specifically.
badai
it will be better if you can provide the exact link instead of search result because search result will keep changing.

so here is the url of my search result for 2nd and 3rd image.

http://www.gigabyte.lv/products/mb/bios/ga-g33m-ds2r.html

http://www.gigabyte.lv/products/mb/bios/ga-8i865gme-775-rh-as.html

the first result, yo do need to use slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. so you are wrong.

and the second result, well you cheated! it has only 2 slots (1 slot for each channel) of course you need to use slot 1 and 2, because there is no slot 3 and 4.

now go find real link pointed to "accurate" fact.

and you know what's not accurate?

PC1000 exist, and it runs at 64Mhz.

not show us PC1000, and the show us what RAM runs at 64Mhz.

for the last time, cpu-z report generator messed up. it shows non existing RAM!!!