FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are IRC Viewers(Not servers) aloud?

ChaserTheWolf
In the TOS, it says "No type of IRC traffic on our servers.", does this include IRC viewers(EX: CGI:IRC, PJIRC, ect.)?

NOTE: Sorry if i posted in the rong spot, i am new to this.
Bondings
ChaserTheWolf wrote:
In the TOS, it says "No type of IRC traffic on our servers.", does this include IRC viewers(EX: CGI:IRC, PJIRC, ect.)?

NOTE: Sorry if i posted in the rong spot, i am new to this.

Yes.

The only thing that would be allowed is a java applet or similar (on the browser end) that completely bypasses the server.
rvec
cgi:irc isn't allowed as that's almost a proxy and does give irc usage on the server. PJIRC is allowed because that's a java irc client that doesn't generate any irc traffic on the servers and gives the user his own ip instead of the server's ip. So one user can't get a kline or ban for the whole server or even worse get the frihost server on some spam list.
Daniel15
Just thought I'd add to this - The data centre that FRIHost uses does not allow IRC on its network. FRIHost must follow the rules of the data centre, so we're not allowed to host any IRC scripts.

As rvec mentioned, PJIRC actually runs in the user's web browser, so it's allowed. Smile
Nero
So does that mean we can host our own proxy servers on our websites? And what would happen if someone does do that?
Bondings
Nero wrote:
So does that mean we can host our own proxy servers on our websites? And what would happen if someone does do that?

No hosting a proxy is strictly NOT allowed. And it would most likely mean an account removal or at least suspension, if found out.
Nero
Yep, thought so. I was just making sure because, I wasn't really sure of what IRC things are.