FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rapidshare Shares Uploader Info with Rights Holders

forkei
Original Post : http://torrentfreak.com/rapidshare-shares-uploader-info-with-rights-holders-090425/

Quote:
In Germany, the file-hosting service Rapidshare has handed over the personal details of alleged copyright infringers to several major record labels. The information is used to pursue legal action against the Rapidshare users and at least one alleged uploader saw his house raided.

Like many new releases, Metallica’s latest album “Death Magnetic” was uploaded to the popular file hosting service Rapidshare one day prior to its official release date last year. Since users don’t broadcast their IP-address or distribute files to the public directly though Rapidshare, it came as a surprise when the police raided the house of an uploader a few weeks ago.

At first it was unclear how the identity of the uploader was revealed, but today German news outlet Gulli said it had found out that this was likely to be accomplished by creative use of paragraph 101 of German copyright law. It turns out that several record labels are using this to take legal action against those who share music on Rapidshare.

Previously the paragraph was only used by rights holders to get the personal details of those who share copyrighted works on file-sharing networks. It basically enables the copyright holders to get “permission” from a civil judge to ask ISPs to disclose the personal details of a user behind a certain IP. Now, however, this also seems to be the case for file-hosting services such as Rapidshare, which is based in Germany.

This of course opens up the possibility for rights holders to go after a wide range of file-hosting services and potentially even BitTorrent sites. Indeed, everyone who now uploads a torrent file to a site hosted in Germany is at risk of having his personal details revealed. Although it will be impossible to prove that the uploader actually seeded the file it might be seen as assisting in copyright infringement.

Pretty much all torrent sites keep track of the IP-addresses of their (.torrent) uploaders, and if the rights holders can get the IP-address of people who upload to file-hosting services such as Rapidshare, they can easily extend this to BitTorrent sites hosted in Germany. A dream come true for copyright holders, but a nightmare for the privacy of Internet users.

Too bad for Metallica’s Lars Ulrich who only just started sharing files himself.
Josso
Interesting, I always knew it was a matter of time.
deanhills
I really get worried when that happens, not that I am uploading illegal files, but I like the idea of being anonymous on the Internet. This is one place where I really feel free and there is no control from other people. When I read that they can trace your IP address it just feels one step away from a police state and control. Would be nice if someone can come up with Fire Wall software that can rebut that kind of "checking up".
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Would be nice if someone can come up with Fire Wall software that can rebut that kind of "checking up".

Well, you can start by browsing through a proxy, and perhaps use some of the anonymity protection software out there.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

Well, you can start by browsing through a proxy, and perhaps use some of the anonymity protection software out there.
You're far ahead of me with this. What does "browsing through a proxy" mean, and where would we find anonymity protection software? Do you know of a good one? Funny, I tried to Google it and some of it got blocked (some of the Middle East countries censor/block Websites).
prithvi
I don't have a static address, so does that bypass this?

Everytime I restart my cable modem, I get a new IP address.
So far, I have been able to bypass the download limits due to this.
Hogwarts
prithvi wrote:
I don't have a static address, so does that bypass this?

Everytime I restart my cable modem, I get a new IP address.
So far, I have been able to bypass the download limits due to this.

Is it really ethical to pirate other people's work, anyway? Rolling Eyes

If you spent years making a game, then ended up making a pittance because of software piracy, you certainly wouldn't be the happy camper.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

You're far ahead of me with this. What does "browsing through a proxy" mean, and where would we find anonymity protection software? Do you know of a good one? Funny, I tried to Google it and some of it got blocked (some of the Middle East countries censor/block Websites).

A proxy is a website/server that you navigate to with your browser (or set up your browser to use). When you use the proxy, you can send a URL to it, the server you're connecting to will go retrieve the contents of that URL for you, then send those contents to you. (and vice versa for uploads) That way, you only connect to the proxy, and to anybody taking a (not in-depth) look at it, it looks like the proxy server is the one doing the illicit activity, not you. Of course, they might legally force the proxy to give them your address.
If you have firefox, use this, it works pretty good:
Foxy Proxy
Note to mods: there are many legal reasons one might want to use a proxy.

If they're blocking sites, the first ones they'll block are the proxies. That's because you can use proxy servers to bypass their blocking, unless they also block the proxy.
Hogwarts wrote:

If you spent years making a game, then ended up making a pittance because of software piracy, you certainly wouldn't be the happy camper.

No, but any software I ever write will be open-source and free, because I think all software should be like that.
Hogwarts
ocalhoun wrote:

Except for if you're in a middle eastern country where they block websites, where using a proxy is equal to accessing a blocked website; such as the UAE Rolling Eyes

ocalhoun wrote:
No, but any software I ever write will be open-source and free, because I think all software should be like that.

Does the fact that it's your opinion make it right? The only opinion that should matter is what's right to the developer. As it's rather likely that you're not the developer of the software you're pirating, your opinion is rather immaterial. If you're using their software, you should play by their rules. If you want to use Windows but don't want to pay for it, is it right to steal it? If I want to eat a loaf of bread but don't want to pay for it, is it right to steal that?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

A proxy is a website/server that you navigate to with your browser (or set up your browser to use). When you use the proxy, you can send a URL to it, the server you're connecting to will go retrieve the contents of that URL for you, then send those contents to you. (and vice versa for uploads) That way, you only connect to the proxy, and to anybody taking a (not in-depth) look at it, it looks like the proxy server is the one doing the illicit activity, not you. Of course, they might legally force the proxy to give them your address.
If you have firefox, use this, it works pretty good:
Foxy Proxy

If they're blocking sites, the first ones they'll block are the proxies. That's because you can use proxy servers to bypass their blocking, unless they also block the proxy.

Thanks Ocalhoun. This is really good info for me. I especially like the Firefox idea.

Think I have been too long in the Middle East. I'd rather not try and access Websites that have officially been blocked. I probably am wrong, but I argue to myself that if they block the Websites they are in essence saying it is against the law in our country to access blocked Websites. It's darn irritating of course, but most of the time I can do without browsing the ones they have blocked. I think if they should block a Website that I really need to browse (that has not happened yet), then I will definitely look at ways to circumvent it.
harismushtaq
But, does this have a legal value as well. IP addresses are altered between different users at different times in many ADSL services as well as wireless internet services. More over, in case of phone line, some one can hack the connection by plugging a modem in the line prior to the customer premises and he can in soem way obtain the credentials and then use the service and it will still appear that the customer was the culprit. Any way, it is not good for people in germany to use rapidshare any more. I am not supporting copyright infrigment, it is wrong but there should be definite ways to stop it before prosecuting users, just a suggestion.
Chinmoy
anonymity of userrs on the web should be respected. Any similar attempt ahould be comdemned...
mp3songshome
i knew about Ip checking but i didnt knew that rapidshare is sharing the uploader;s Information ..
if this happened in reality then we are going to loose latest releases for free Very HappyVery Happy

Now i realy not feeling secure while browsing the net.
anakin_skyrunner
Shocked
Impossible, well, typically German I'd say Razz