FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AVI support?

Denvis
I have an AVI type file and my wmp + real player will not let me play it. I have sound but i do not have visual can anybody help? Is it my computer? Do i have to buy some sort of additional program to watch AVI type files? My other computer allows me to watch the file without any problems. I'm just curious why i can't watch it on my other computer.
sheedatali
Denvis wrote:
I have an AVI type file and my wmp + real player will not let me play it. I have sound but i do not have visual can anybody help? Is it my computer? Do i have to buy some sort of additional program to watch AVI type files? My other computer allows me to watch the file without any problems. I'm just curious why i can't watch it on my other computer.

Your problem is a missing Codec, since your computer has not got the required codec installed, both WMP and RealPlayer are unable to decode the file. Try to play the file with VLC (Video Lan Client), it is a media player which has majority of the codecs built in and it pretty much plays anything you throw at it.
Diablosblizz
Like sheed said, it is missing a Codec. Instead of downloading VLC, you could download the K-Lite Codec Basic program. It does wonders, and will allow you to play .avi.
Twotone
i had that problem with an avi file ...it needed a DivX codec cured now Smile
sheedatali
Quote:

Your problem is a missing Codec, since your computer has not got the required codec installed, both WMP and RealPlayer are unable to decode the file. Try to play the file with VLC (Video Lan Client), it is a media player which has majority of the codecs built in and it pretty much plays anything you throw at it.

Ok these Codec packs are good in some ways, but I generally despise them. I just do not trust them to be clean of spyware etc and besides for novice user a messed up codec stack (which can happen) will cause havoc since it is just voodoo magic to work out what codec is causing the issue for novice users. That is why I always recommend VLC since it does not depend on anything installed and pretty is a standalone software and it is free of course.
Diablosblizz
I've installed K-lite for years, it's been tested virus free for all the years I am using. Not sure with your experience, but it's currently working perfectly fine for me.
ato784
I recommend what sheedatali said, try vlc, installing other codecs will solve the problem as well, but Vlc is still a better player than realplayer
Skye001
VLC or Mplayer will be able to play anything, they have pretty much nearly all codecs installed within the application, so no need for installing codec plugins and etc. VLC is arguably one of the best players out on the tinternet Smile
slashnburn99
Div x is good

free too