FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I got mugged in my own school.

Parkour_Jarrod
The following happened at about 3:02pm on the 27th April 2009, at the bus stop.

I was talking to some friends after just returning a chair to the shelter when the 416b bus came (which is not mine), a group of people that were going to get on the bus walked past they had been at the shelter saying stuff about my sunglasses. On there way past, one of them grabbed my $150 sunglasses off my face, kept walking and pocketed them. I then walked up to him and grabbed him on the shoulder. In response he then twisted which ripped his shirt, then he tried to attack me. I put him in a lock that he couldn’t move, when Mrs 'female teacher' came up and broke us up. When free he attacked me, punched me in the face (just below the left eye) then grabbed me and took me down. Thinking that I had a hold of him, I grabbed Mrs 'female teacher' and accidentally took her down with both him and myself. When we all got up and he attacked me again hitting me in the face again (left jaw). Mrs 'female teacher' tried to hold him back but he kept trying to attack me. Mr 'male teacher' then came up and assisted in holding him back. Mrs 'female teacher' & Mr 'male teacher' then ask what happened I told them about how he took my sunglasses. As expected he denied constantly and attacked me again after showing me his pocked.

He was then sent away and I went back to where it all started, asking where my sunglasses went because he didn't have them anymore. Witnesses* said that they saw that they had fallen out of his hand/pocket on to the ground near the fence, when one of his mates came up and picked them up.

Witnesses cannot be named on teh internet for police reasons

The sunnies were stolen off my face.... How sad can you get?!and not to be racist because im not but, the person was black.... and his mates... were black and all of em "wannabe gangsta"'s

WHAT POOR PERSON STEALS SUNGLASSES OF SOMEONES FACE?! WITH OVER 50 PEOPLE AROUND Question Exclamation Question Exclamation
Nick2008
So why are you bringing $150 sunglasses to school? If you bring attention to others, your chances of getting mugged, robbed, attacked, etc are much larger and you would set yourself up.
Parkour_Jarrod
Nick2008 wrote:
So why are you bringing $150 sunglasses to school? If you bring attention to others, your chances of getting mugged, robbed, attacked, etc are much larger and you would set yourself up.

I bought them to protect my eyes... and i should be able to go to school in day light wearing my own sunglasses without them being ripped off my face.... What has the world come to?
tchaunt
Sure, I would be afraid to bring $150 sunglasses to school, but that has nothing to do with it Nick.

I think it is sad. There are idiots like that at my school, too. The irony of it is, I'm smack-dab in the middle of Kentucky. So it's like, gangsta hill billies.
I know what you mean by saying the color. Many kids in my school that are African American think they get to do whatever they want. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who are African American, but the majority from my town are not from good families. And, of course, there's also the white wanna be gangsta's too.
Good luck ever getting justice. They always seem to do everything at the right place at the right time.
xalophus
Nick2008 wrote:

Wow !
They way you put it ... it's as if the person who got mugged deserved it.

I almost feel for the mugger.
jessicawalker
xalophus wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Wow !

That's pretty ridiculous, if you're serious. It's not automatic to think, "I better not wear my expensive eye wear because someone might snatch it right off my face". Nor should it be. It is so sad that there are so many people who have no problem stealing or causing pain to others.

You almost feel for the mugger? Wow.
Solon_Poledourus
Sorry to hear about it.
"What has the world come to?" is definately the question of the day. Were the police of any help? Are these kids from your school? Or just thugs from somewhere else?
I hate seeing this kind of thing happen to good people. It's the kind of thing that makes you just want to move to a private island and be an isolationist.
Well, I hope you get your sunglasses back, or at least I hope those punks get what's coming to them.
joostvane
tchaunt wrote:
Sure, I would be afraid to bring $150 sunglasses to school, but that has nothing to do with it Nick.

On my school we have to take a $120 calculator with us and a load of material that could be stolen. The price of the sunglasses has nothing to do with this. This time it could be the sunglasses, next time they just steal your bag. People like this must be expelled.
Parkour_Jarrod
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Sorry to hear about it.
"What has the world come to?" is definately the question of the day. Were the police of any help? Are these kids from your school? Or just thugs from somewhere else?
I hate seeing this kind of thing happen to good people. It's the kind of thing that makes you just want to move to a private island and be an isolationist.
Well, I hope you get your sunglasses back, or at least I hope those punks get what's coming to them.

The polices can't do anything because the kid gave false ID and they don't to our school, that left last year. I know what you mean, oh and they will get whats coming to em...
Nick2008
Hopefully the mugger gets caught and expelled. No one likes a thief. I'm just those one of those people who always believes in bringing only the essentials to areas where you're likely to get into conflict with very immature and pathetic people, especially school. Except for a medical reason, I would never bring $150 sunglasses to my public school, I know the risk of all the wannabe gangsta's and idiots in my school, yes I know it's sad we live in a world like this. I use my good old hand to shield my eyes. It makes me sick to my stomach when I hear students at our school lose their iphones, or someone robs their ipod touch. Really, why would I bring an MP3 player to school? In a subway, restaurant, office no one would care about someones glasses or their ipod, but in school... well, that's a different story. It's sad that our children don't get any discipline at all these days (and many parents don't even care what their kid does), if someone hits someone in school, the administrators would be like "Don't do that... you know it's against the rules!", pff like that will do any good.

Good luck getting your sunglasses back (intact hopefully!), hopefully the mugger will get caught, but with today's world it might be tricky.

Sorry if I sounded a bit rude earlier today, I am obviously cranky (like all of us) on a Monday morning.
Diablosblizz
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope some justice does come to the muggers. I usually never bring anything expensive to school, I'm always worried about stuff like that happening.
mattyj
dude that sucks!

I hope you press charges against this idiot

Good luck with it all
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

I was talking to some friends after just returning a chair to the shelter when the 416b bus came (which is not mine), a group of people that were going to get on the bus walked past they had been at the shelter saying stuff about my sunglasses. On there way past, one of them grabbed my $150 sunglasses off my face, kept walking and pocketed them. I then walked up to him and grabbed him on the shoulder. In response he then twisted which ripped his shirt, then he tried to attack me. I put him in a lock that he couldn’t move, when Mrs 'female teacher' came up and broke us up. When free he attacked me, punched me in the face (just below the left eye) then grabbed me and took me down. Thinking that I had a hold of him, I grabbed Mrs 'female teacher' and accidentally took her down with both him and myself. When we all got up and he attacked me again hitting me in the face again (left jaw). Mrs 'female teacher' tried to hold him back but he kept trying to attack me. Mr 'male teacher' then came up and assisted in holding him back. Mrs 'female teacher' & Mr 'male teacher' then ask what happened I told them about how he took my sunglasses. As expected he denied constantly and attacked me again after showing me his pocked.

He was then sent away and I went back to where it all started, asking where my sunglasses went because he didn't have them anymore. Witnesses* said that they saw that they had fallen out of his hand/pocket on to the ground near the fence, when one of his mates came up and picked them up.

The sunnies were stolen off my face.... How sad can you get?!and not to be racist because im not but, the person was black.... and his mates... were black and all of em "wannabe gangsta"'s

WHAT POOR PERSON STEALS SUNGLASSES OF SOMEONES FACE?! WITH OVER 50 PEOPLE AROUND Question Exclamation Question Exclamation
I'm so sorry to hear about this Parkour_Jarrod. I imagine your teachers must know what a good person you are. Did you submit a complaint with the police, as perhaps this perp has been doing it elsewhere too? This is definitely not a good experience. Like an invasion of your person and your life. How are the two teachers? Amazing that they took the risk to wrestle with this guy. Is he known to you? Are his mates known to you? Really sad about the sunglasses as that must be quite an investment for you that has been stolen like that.
ankitdatashn
Yikes!!, I could not get the picture quite clearly, I guess the bugger might wanted something more than that glasses because first of all anyone cant say just by sheer looks of it that what is the cost of a sunglass, secondly it is just not digestable that who would want to steal a sunglass.

Anyways let the police decide rest.
Parkour_Jarrod
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear about this Parkour_Jarrod. I imagine your teachers must know what a good person you are. Did you submit a complaint with the police, as perhaps this perp has been doing it elsewhere too? This is definitely not a good experience. Like an invasion of your person and your life. How are the two teachers? Amazing that they took the risk to wrestle with this guy. Is he known to you? Are his mates known to you? Really sad about the sunglasses as that must be quite an investment for you that has been stolen like that.

Well i have put it into the police and the school is following it up, The teachers are fine. The only reason there so expensive is because i have sensitive eyes and there triple polerized and quad tint, oh and there raybans Razz
Solon_Poledourus
It was good of those teachers to jump in and risk their own safety to help you. Otherwise you would have had to fight a group of punks, and may have been hurt pretty bad(or maybe not, I don't know how well you can handle yourself). I'm glad you are OK, and glad to see that you have the school following up on it. I wouldn't suggest going out and seeking any retribution, but it would be satisfying to see justice come down on those kids like a ton of bricks.
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
The only reason there so expensive is because i have sensitive eyes and there triple polerized and quad tint, oh and there raybans Razz
That must be a real loss, as I am certain they are not easy to buy either. I also have sensitive eyes, but am lucky as I am working of course and can afford to have an identical backup pair for that reason. Hope you can find the same raybans as I know the models come and go all the time. Just very irritating that you will not feel comfortable and safe wearing them any longer. I genuinely hope the police can find those hooligans and make a very good example out of them so that people will think twice before doing that again.
rockacola
$150 isn't that expensive for a sunny.
Second, you been having unwanted attention by your sunny, igorants don't give a damn of what eye problem you have, they only 'concern' that you are trying to be cooler than them which in a way offend them.

Crying or Very sad
xalophus
jessicawalker wrote:
xalophus wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Wow !

That's pretty ridiculous, if you're serious. It's not automatic to think, "I better not wear my expensive eye wear because someone might snatch it right off my face". Nor should it be. It is so sad that there are so many people who have no problem stealing or causing pain to others.

jessicawalker
xalophus wrote:
jessicawalker wrote:
xalophus wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Wow !

See, sarcasm has a lot to do with the inflection of your VOICE and tone and actually knowing you and knowing whether or not you have sarcastic tendencies... Now, remove from your mind that YOU knew you were being sarcastic and re-read your statement and tell me if it's so foolish to take it literally. Portraying yourself in just text is a lot different than really talking to someone. It's okay. You'll learn to better express yourself. If I seem a tad hostile, I'm sorry. I feel very grumpy today.
xalophus
xalophus wrote:
Wow !

There ... all inflected and modulated !

Now ignore those highlights and tell me if it's even possible to interpret that sentence any other way.

jessicawalker wrote:
I feel very grumpy today.

jessicawalker wrote:
It's okay. You'll learn to better express yourself.

Instead of trying to learn the art of inflecting through text, I'd rather hope for a little more common sense in people I'm talking to. Or atleast to catch them on their non-grumpy day.

jessicawalker wrote:
If I seem a tad hostile, I'm sorry.

See, it's really not that hard to tell when it's sarcasm. Wink
Helios
^ jessicawalker and xalophus, you really should have this 'discussion' over PM's. Thank you.
Don't want to see such posts here anymore.

Parkour_Jarrod, very sorry to hear about this!
The guy didn't want the glasses, that's obvious. He just wanted to show off in front of his mates. He knew exactly that you'd attack him (even though you didn't really attack him). All you had to do is touch him to pop his nerves.
It's a very sad case indeed and unfortunately it happens everywhere, and not only in your age group.
I suppose you should look at it like it's bad luck, and now figure out what to do about this guy - a proper lawsuit would be fine (if you know this guy's details) - maybe you'll afford new glasses this way. Just don't let emotions boil and go down to their level, give it a day rest and think objectively. It's good that you decided to post about this here and get some steam out!
Something similar happened to me when I was in high-school too, and the most important thing is to be smart here.

Anyway, to those who are saying it's about the glasses being expensive and attracting attention - I really doubt only that is what triggered those morons to attack Jarrod - he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
jessicawalker
Helios wrote:
^ jessicawalker and xalophus, you really should have this 'discussion' over PM's. Thank you.
Don't want to see such posts here anymore.

Sorry, Helios. That discussion was petty and unnecessary.

Quote:
Just don't let emotions boil and go down to their level, give it a day rest and think objectively. It's good that you decided to post about this here and get some steam out!

I agree here. As hard as it would be for a lot of people in this situation, you shouldn't do anything out of rage, as it usually ends up messy that way and may backfire on you. Deal with it legally and intelligently and the end result should be much better than if you snap, hurt someone and get in trouble or get yourself hurt.
missdixy
Yeah if there's anything I've learned is that you never wear very expensive things to school. People are just jerks. :/
Solon_Poledourus
Helios wrote:
Anyway, to those who are saying it's about the glasses being expensive and attracting attention - I really doubt only that is what triggered those morons to attack Jarrod - he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Actually, Jarrod was exactly where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be there. It's those other guys who were in the wrong place and all that.
Parkour_Jarrod
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Helios wrote:

Actually, Jarrod was exactly where he was supposed to be, when he was supposed to be there. It's those other guys who were in the wrong place and all that.

Its a contreversial issue that because:

I could have been in the wrong place at the wrong time according to probablity

BUT

I was also where i was sposed to be whereas he(mugger) wasn't ment to be in school grounds yet another law he broke...
Solon_Poledourus
So then is he being charged with trespassing? Even if you can't get your glasses back, maybe you could see him slapped with a trespass fine or something.
Parkour_Jarrod
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
So then is he being charged with trespassing? Even if you can't get your glasses back, maybe you could see him slapped with a trespass fine or something.

I'm not sure, when i find out whats happening i will be sure to post it here (of course no pictures or names)
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

I'm not sure, when i find out whats happening i will be sure to post it here (of course no pictures or names)
You mentioned earlier on that the "mugger" had a fake ID. Were you/police able to identify him anyway, or are they now looking for him? Is he at another school?
Parkour_Jarrod
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:

You mentioned earlier on that the "mugger" had a fake ID. Were you/police able to identify him anyway, or are they now looking for him? Is he at another school?

He didn't have an ID just gave a fake name we got his name becaus ehe used to go to my school. Other than that i don't really know...
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
He didn't have an ID just gave a fake name we got his name becaus ehe used to go to my school. Other than that i don't really know...
Well, that is good news. Perhaps he already is known to them anyway. Teachers would no doubt know him too.
hamza1122
Yep. cowardly act. feel sory for you man but it happens wen u bring expensive stuff to skool. i wanna learn martial arts- jiu jitsu and ninjutsu so ppls won't dare to touch me! =]
Helios
hamza1122 wrote:
i wanna learn martial arts- jiu jitsu and ninjutsu so ppls won't dare to touch me! =]

Only works in Hollywood. In the 21st century we study martial arts much more for the sake of self-fulfillment or stuff like that, rather than actually using it for fighting. Fighting and violence only strike back at you, as jessicawalker said. This is not how things work nowadays, even though movies say otherwise.

Talk, don't fight.
sondosia
Theft is rampant at my school, and the administration doesn't really do anything about it because they don't think they can. We have security cameras but they're so sporadic and unclear that it really doesn't deter anybody from stealing. It's horrible.
deanhills
Helios wrote:
hamza1122 wrote:
i wanna learn martial arts- jiu jitsu and ninjutsu so ppls won't dare to touch me! =]

Only works in Hollywood. In the 21st century we study martial arts much more for the sake of self-fulfillment or stuff like that, rather than actually using it for fighting. Fighting and violence only strike back at you, as jessicawalker said. This is not how things work nowadays, even though movies say otherwise.

Talk, don't fight.
I don't agree. Martial arts usually does not teach people to fight, think that is what their maxim usually is. They teach self-discipline, and self-defense. It is rarely about fighting, and usually when there is fighting it is like boxing, competitive sports with combat rules that teaches self-discipline in fighting. Martial arts also has a psychological component in it to psyche out people who attack you. When it is taught right, the person would be able to assess his attacker, as well as defend himself, but in a self-disciplined way. I'm all for martial arts. Much better option than guns. Added bonus is that people get fit, raises their self-esteem, keeps them focussed and builds character. It can make them stronger in a positive way.
Noremac
rockacola wrote:
$150 isn't that expensive for a sunny.
Second, you been having unwanted attention by your sunny, igorants don't give a damn of what eye problem you have, they only 'concern' that you are trying to be cooler than them which in a way offend them.

Crying or Very sad

Firstly, nice sentence structure, second, it shouldn't matter whether they are 150 dollars, 500 dollars, or 5 dollar sunnies that you find at a servo. Parkour Jarrod should be able to feel safe wearing his sunnies, or for example carrying an ipod, or an expensive mobile phone. It would defeat the purpose of owning these things if he didn't use them.

The point is not what the "igorants" are concerned about, its that parkour jarrod shouldn't have to deal with them in the first place, especially a student in his own school, which I'm sure is no hells kitchen or bronx type suburb.
Noremac
Helios wrote:
hamza1122 wrote:

Talk, don't fight.

I speak from experience growing up in a pretty bad suburb, and it is not always this simple. A lot of city people seem to think words can resolve anything, this is not the case.

There are cases, where you can talk in utmost sincerity but often the attacker will not care. Generally if he/she is trying to fight you physically it can be very hard to walk/run away, and I don't believe there is anything wrong with defending yourself in this situation, and having martial arts experience can truly save your life.

I have 2 years taekwondo and 2 years kickboxing experience and the majority of what i learned is fight prevention and defending yourself against attacks, like to break out of a grab or disarm an attacker holding a knife. There have been 2 unprovoked attacks on me in my life that I believe if I didn't have experience in fighting I may not have walked away unharmed.

Just something to think about, I recommend martial arts to any controlled person.
deanhills
Noremac wrote:
Just something to think about, I recommend martial arts to any controlled person.
Totally agreed. Hooligans like that have a nose for kids who cannot defend themselves. Martial arts create something out of kids that sends out a message "I can take care of myself". Apart from all the other good things about it, martial arts can even convert "hooligans" from being meanies before to not "needing to prove anything anymore" guys with self-discipline and better self-esteem. Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
deanhills wrote:
Noremac wrote:
Totally agreed. Hooligans like that have a nose for kids who cannot defend themselves. Martial arts create something out of kids that sends out a message "I can take care of myself". Apart from all the other good things about it, martial arts can even convert "hooligans" from being meanies before to not "needing to prove anything anymore" guys with self-discipline and better self-esteem. Smile

Well seieng as this is a controversial topic here i hought i might add... im a blackbelt in Karate i could have killed him in 3 moves if i wanted to... but i don't like violence, i just wanted my sunnies back, so i didn't do anything.
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Well seieng as this is a controversial topic here i hought i might add... im a blackbelt in Karate i could have killed him in 3 moves if i wanted to... but i don't like violence, i just wanted my sunnies back, so i didn't do anything.
I'm surprised. Couldn't you have blocked him from taking your sunglasses? That is a spontaneous non-lethal Karate defense reflex.
Parkour_Jarrod
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I'm surprised. Couldn't you have blocked him from taking your sunglasses? That is a spontaneous Karate defense reflex.

I could have but i was distracted and he was small and fast, he was 2m away and i accidentally hit my friend Razz
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I'm surprised. Couldn't you have blocked him from taking your sunglasses? That is a spontaneous Karate defense reflex.

I could have but i was distracted and he was small and fast, he was 2m away and i accidentally hit my friend Razz
Oh wow! Sounds like a real sneaky guy. Was your friend hurt?
Parkour_Jarrod
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

Oh wow! Sounds like a real sneaky guy. Was your friend hurt?

Corked his arm, but i probably am not actually a bb anymore, it was 2001 when i was made bb and i was district champ, havent done since 2002 when moved states.
Fatality
That is awful. I hope you weren't beat up too badly. It sounded like a pretty big fight. I'm sorry to hear that you lost the glasses, but at least you're okay. I wouldn't say that you were asking for it like some of the other posters, but you did put yourself at a huge risk when wearing them. I personally don't like buying let along bringing very expensive items into public. We shouldn't have to worry about it, but there are bad people out there and we have to be wise about what we do. I hope that everything goes well with you in the future.
speeDemon
thats something I really love about my country!!

India!!

Ok, there is corruption, poverty, blah blah.. but atleast no one has the guts to steal something off me when I'm walking on the street... and if he does... there will be 100 of guys from here and there ready to beat him up!!

+, in skool nothing of that sort could ever happen... and there is no 'gang' stuff around here either... so I love my place!!
silencet25
So they just grabbed your glasses and you put him in a lock?
I woulda just dropped him on the spot and if you couldnt dont put him in a lock if u want to hurt him you have to be able to get the glasses faster than a lock.
And if he was in a group of them why would u leave urself open to the other "Wannabes"?
Since i dont expect u have been in kickboxing i tried to simplified it.
(If u were u could have clenched him put a knee in his jaw and took the glasses out of his pocket)
But i totally agree with you some of these people are desperate enough to do these dumbass things.

Silence
apple
sorry to hear about your experience.
achowles
Nick2008 wrote:

I'm sick of this attitude. I'm seeing it more and more now. You're blaming the victim. What the hell kind of response is that?
carlospro7
I saw $200 sun glasses at a Macy's in New York last summer, and I thought, who pays that much for sun glasses? Laughing Anyway, aside from that, sounds like the teachers that came to separate you guys sucked at it if they couldn't keep the other kid from attacking you. Muggers are usually pretty clever when it comes to this stuff. Sorry to hear this happened.
erlendhg
That is quite awful. Both that some people have such low moral, that they would do a thing like that - stealing sunglasses while you wear them, that is really ridiculous.

Also, it is quite sad that it was a black person that did this. I am not a racist at all, but such thing are unfortunately strengthening the racistic prejudices that sadly exists in our society, if you understand what I'm trying to say.
hofodomo01
Wow, that's interesting. I've lived in middle-upper class suburban areas all my life, so there's a whole lot of stuff that I haven't seen yet...but yeah, stuff like this is pretty eye opening and it makes you grateful for what you have.
PatTheGreat42
Did YOU get in trouble for this whole incident? I'm not in school anymore, but I distinctly remember extremely strict fight policies. These policies were so strict that you could literally get in trouble if someone came up and punched YOU. That's right; you could be standing there, have someone attack you, do nothing to resist, and then get in trouble. I think you did the right thing in this situation. You should be able to walk around and not have your sunglasses stolen off your face. Hopefully truth and whatnot will prevail.
SyHz
I hate muggers... may em burn in hell Very Happy
sondosia
achowles wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

I'm sick of this attitude. I'm seeing it more and more now. You're blaming the victim. What the hell kind of response is that?

Me too. Personal property is personal property, and if I recall correctly, we've got a right to it in the Constitution.
Hogwarts
sondosia wrote:
achowles wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Me too. Personal property is personal property, and if I recall correctly, we've got a right to it in the Constitution.

You could also note, however, that schools constantly recommend against taking expensive stuff to school, and he did it despite that.

I mean, think of if somebody went so for as to put themselves in harms way as to jump out onto a highway. They'll get absolutely no sympathy from me.
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
sondosia wrote:
achowles wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

You could also note, however, that schools constantly recommend against taking expensive stuff to school, and he did it despite that.

I mean, think of if somebody went so for as to put themselves in harms way as to jump out onto a highway. They'll get absolutely no sympathy from me.

I'm originally from South Africa (before I emigrated to Canada) and this is the reason I left the country. Violent crime, which is worse now than when I left. The rule there is that you do not wear any jewelry, cameras, etc etc etc. Nor gold chains or bracelets that can be grabbed from you as people have been killed in the process of removing their valuables from them. I moved to a different country to get away from that, as personal safety to me is directly connected with freedom of movement, freedom of being. I think it is horrible that students have to be advised not to carry any valuables on them. Something has to be badly wrong in the society for it to have come to this.
Parkour_Jarrod
Hogwarts wrote:
sondosia wrote:
achowles wrote:
Nick2008 wrote:

Yes but i trust everyone in my school, this person WAS NOT from my school!
Hogwarts
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Yes but i trust everyone in my school, this person WAS NOT from my school!

Sure, but it's still recommended that you do not take valuables to school. This is just one of the possible outcomes. And what do you gain by taking them to school, anyway? If it was a laptop, sure, that's understandable, but otherwise it's almost pointless. Yes, you can argue that you have the "right" to wear it, but there are lots of people in the world who think very little of your rights.
Solon_Poledourus
Hogwarts wrote:
Sure, but it's still recommended that you do not take valuables to school. This is just one of the possible outcomes. And what do you gain by taking them to school, anyway? If it was a laptop, sure, that's understandable, but otherwise it's almost pointless. Yes, you can argue that you have the "right" to wear it, but there are lots of people in the world who think very little of your rights.

But that does not mean he should abandon his right to wear them. Also, it's the responsibility of the school to provide a safe place for their students to be educated. These kids were from another school, so it was out of everyones hands.
Let's try not to criminalize the victim here. He did nothing wrong.
Nick2008
It's just the way society exists, people think America is a free country and they can do stuff like this. As the population of the Earth increases, we can only expect more of these incidents. Crying or Very sad

I believe the victim stated it was a medical reason for the sunglasses, if it was then it overrides all the "don't bring expensive stuff to school" explanation.

What makes me wonder is, how did some muggers that aren't even from your school, get onto your school grounds? Isn't there anybody who watches for, lets say, trespassers?

It's unbelievable how vulnerable our schools are today, if some muggers can get through without being noticed, why not a terrorist?
ciureanuc
$150 sunglasses...
I remember that i was "mugged" for... money I spend for a loaf of bread. Kids were "mugged" for a stick of gum! In primary school this was happen often...
(No I guess that I am a little big - 110kg and shaved on my head - people i guess don't dare... but i am truly innocent).
Anyway, to complain that you were mugged for $150 sunglasses.... I'm wondering if you are not bragging about it!

Sorry.

edit: How people in your country are seeing a $100 bill? Because (let's not talk about my country - poor Eastern European country), when I was in the UK and I paid with a 50 sterling pounds bill, people almost called the Police to check it. Really (and no, I don't look like a thief Smile ).
And in Rome, when I paid with 100 euros bill, people were surprised to see a large bill.
Is 50 pounds or 100 euros a lot of money in these countries or they are not used to pay large amounts by banknotes.
Jaan
$20 sunglasses do just as good of a job as $150 sunglasses. you're just paying for the looks or the name. don't say that you bought them 'to protect your eyes'. that's a blatant lie.
Solon_Poledourus
Jaan wrote:
$20 sunglasses do just as good of a job as $150 sunglasses. you're just paying for the looks or the name. don't say that you bought them 'to protect your eyes'. that's a blatant lie
It doesn't matter if he was wearing $150 or $20 sunglasses. They belong to him and he has a right to wear them. I'm really sick of seeing people point the accusing finger at the guy who got robbed. And as far as I can remember, I think his sunglasses were medically required, so perhaps it was necessary to pay $150 for them. Much like people having to pay alot of orthopedic shoes. You have no idea if he is lying or not, you are just stirring up sh*t for no reason.
Parkour_Jarrod
Jaan wrote:
$20 sunglasses do just as good of a job as $150 sunglasses. you're just paying for the looks or the name. don't say that you bought them 'to protect your eyes'. that's a blatant lie.

Seems like this is this is the big issue here, well if i only wanted looks i woulda bought $20 ones but they are PRESCRIBED by the OPTOMERIST so yeah they are to PROTECT my eyes.