FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can anybody recommend a good anime?

Denvis
I'm new to anime and a lot of my friends watch/read it and i was curious why they like it so much. So I was wondering if you guys/gals can post some of your fav anime.
Cliffer
so far as i watched,i think kungfu panda is the best.
QrafTee
Denvis wrote:
I'm new to anime and a lot of my friends watch/read it and i was curious why they like it so much. So I was wondering if you guys/gals can post some of your fav anime.

You need to specify what genre you'd be interested in:

Action - Dragonball Kai, Bleach, Naruto, Outlaw Star, Samurai 7, Samurai Champloo, Rorouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Shaman King, One Piece, Hunter X Hunter
Action/Paranormal - Evangelion, Fafnir in the Azure
Action/Drama - Sailormoon
Dramatic Comedy - Tenchi Muyo, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzuyima, School Rumble, Tsukoyumi: Moon Phase, Lucky Star
Sports/Competitive - Hajime no Ippo (Boxing), Hajime no Go (Go), Yakitate Japan (Baking)
Mecha (Military, Action, Drama) - Gundam Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, 00, 00 Second Season, Full Metal Panic
Suspense - Death Note
Other (haven't watched so have no idea where they belong) - FLCL
kacsababa
KungFu Panda is not an anime. Smile

Yeah, there is a lots of anime genres by interests and for various age-groups.

Instead of a list I recommend for example anidb and MyAnimeList, where you can search by genres and sort by ratings + reading reviews, recommendations.
ddukki
I just started watching a Psychological anime called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. It's a horror-suspense anime mixed with bouts of comedy. As crazy as it sounds, it's actually really good. I've only seen up to the 7th episode, but I'm thoroughly hooked. However, it's a pretty lengthy series and it's confusing up until the end (at least that's what I hear). Not for the faint of heart, but I'm no fan of horror [in fact, I hate horror movies ...] and I love it so far. Perhaps it's because it's not just random killing with blood and guts everywhere.
Jintastic
Currently I am watching this great anime called Hajime No Ippo: New Challengers.

It is the second season of the classic Hajime No ippo. I recommended watching the first one then moving up to the current. If you love boxing this is the most epic and amazing boxing out there. Also if you read manga it is the longest manga in history with like 1000+ chapters. I forgot exactly how long it is. There is a reason why its still going on. Great Songs, Great anime.
QrafTee
Jintastic wrote:
Currently I am watching this great anime called Hajime No Ippo: New Challengers.

It is the second season of the classic Hajime No ippo. I recommended watching the first one then moving up to the current. If you love boxing this is the most epic and amazing boxing out there. Also if you read manga it is the longest manga in history with like 1000+ chapters. I forgot exactly how long it is. There is a reason why its still going on. Great Songs, Great anime.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when the first season ended. I was like, "Whoa... that's all?!" When the second season was announced, I was so psyched and now I'm watching it every Wednesday/Thursday.
driftingfe3s
Depends on what type of genre you like. Are there any regular TV shows that you like?
Ashtray
One of my favorites is Death note and Saikano. I also like Full metal alchemist and chobits...
love_her_freida_pinto
u should also have a look at Zoids (my fav right now). It's a pretty intense action-packed anime. There is also Pokemon but i hope u've already seen at least one episode of this (i mean, who hasn't?). Digimon also has a great storyline to it, the original one that is. Wink
ovg8
Do not watch cliched things like bleach and such. Also there are lots of animes for games (disgaea) so if you really like some game there might be an anime for it. Zoids is cliched, digimon gets cliched but pokemons pretty original.
cherry-pie
You can watch Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl), it's really good Very Happy you can read a lot of mangas at onemanga.com
QrafTee
ovg8 wrote:
Do not watch cliched things like bleach and such. Also there are lots of animes for games (disgaea) so if you really like some game there might be an anime for it. Zoids is cliched, digimon gets cliched but pokemons pretty original.
What the hell is "cliched?" Pokemon is original? Maybe in its first two seasons, but not anymore. I think what you mean is that you're not into most mainstream anime.
jigoku05
These are the animes I've watched over a couple of years and I recommend them all.

FALL 2008

Toradora!
Gundam 00 s2
Linebarrel
Skip Beat
To aru majutsu no Index
Ga-Rei Zero
Chaos;Head
Akane iro somaru-saka

WINTER 2008-2009

Hajime no Ippo s2
Druaga s2
Akikan
Kurokami
Asu no Yoichi

SPRING 2009

K-on
Higashi no Eden
Senjou no Valkyria
Natsu no Arashi
Hagane No Renkinjutsushi (FMA)
Koukaku No Regios
Hatsukoi Limited

SUMMER 2009

Princess Lover
Bakemonogatari
Needless

FALL 2009

To-aru Kagaku no Choudenjibou
Nyan Koi!
Fairy Tail
Tegami Bachi
Kimi ni Todoke
Seiken no Blacksmith
Natsu no Arashi 2
Seitokai No Ichizon: Hekiyou Gakuen Seitokai Gijiroku
Auctus
I'm watching Gundam 00 and Sgt. Frog at the moment. Two completely different ends of the spectrum.
king17
watch naruto and bleach they are quite good
it takes a long time to watch them but quicker if you read them
amperx
I'd recommend you to watch one piece, its by far the best anime/manga that i've read, story wise, its filled with awesomeness XD lol, and although it may not be called an anime, you could watch avatar:last airbender as well, really good cartoon/anime. Very Happy
tony
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, aka Spirited Away - my favourite! Great story!
QrafTee
I have to throw in Code Geass in here. It's that good.
paskifire
One piece, Fairy Tail, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Naruto, Ichigo 100% (lol), Sekirei, Asu no Yoichi, Gundam 00, Rosario Vampire, Rosario Vampire CAPU 2, Honey and Clover (romance), Elfen Lied, Kyou no go no ni, Kodomo ni jikan ahaha Very Happy There's a lot of anime there so feel free to choose. It also depends on your preferences too.
iman
Clannad After Story. It's much better than clannad, but I think you need to watch clannad first to fully appreciate Clannad AS.
jigoku05
^ Yeah nice anime! I have just downloaded season 1 coz I haven't finished it when it aired.

Funny that this anime fits most genres haha! Every episode will make you laugh so hard at the beginning then make you cry at the end.
DeltaM
If u like action i can recommend Naruto, Bleach and Fullmetal Alchemist good to watch that one before moving onto fullmetal aclchemist:brotherhood. I was like you to it was some in my class that watched/read anime and they told me to start at first i was a little sceptical but now i think it's great. So just pick a genre u like and then pick any of the more famous animes of it and hopefully u like it Smile
jigoku05
^ no I think he would be fine if he start with FMA:Brotherhood(hagane no renkinjutsushi 2009). Coz it's a different/unrelated story than the older fma. Brotherhood is adapted from the manga while the older one is an original story.
paskifire
Sex Warrior Pudding Very Happy oh my bad.. just listen to jigoku05. He's an otaku. Very Happy
PureReborn
amperx wrote:
I'd recommend you to watch one piece, its by far the best anime/manga that i've read, story wise, its filled with awesomeness XD lol, and although it may not be called an anime, you could watch avatar:last airbender as well, really good cartoon/anime. Very Happy

One Piece is amazing! Pretty much the only long running series that manages to keep it fresh and interesting without too much filler. I prefer the manga over the anime since Oda-san's art style is really cool.

I will recommend some old classics: Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Evangelion, and one of my personal favorite is Slayers.
bell22
Yeah, I love One Piece, including its movies. If you like adventure and heroic anime, this is for you. If you like mecha and politic, gundam series will be a good choice.
jigoku05
^ regarding one piece movies, when will Strong World be shown/released?
Kirara
you can whatch

Vampire knight

11eyes

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

hersandal
What can I advise you is to watch Naruto, the next thing you going to do is to join some costplay it's really fun.
jigoku05
I find Kaichou wa Maid Sama corny at times since it's a shoujo anime but I'm still watching it.

Vampire Knight is so gay! I don't know why so many like it. It's a reverse harem for pete's sake!
Lots of bishounens jajaja!

if you wan't something like that try watching Hakouki.

MY SPRING 2010 RECOMMENDATIONS:

Angel Beats!
Kaichou Wa Maid Sama
K-On! 2
Working
Heroman!
Senkou no Night Raid
Arakawa under the Bridge
Rainbow - Nisha Rokubo
Giant Killing
dude_xyx
Bleach
Love Hina
Full Metal Panic

These 3 Anime are great ! There are many other Anime I like but all of them are comedy and also Ecchi.
toasterintheoven
a wind called amnesia, it's a movie, so you don't have to spend long hours going through a storyline dragged out in episodes
lightwate
hmm i'd say hunterxhunter but you'll get bored cause of its poor graphics (it's old)

Clannad - for me, it's prolly the best anime in its category
Clannad after story - same as above
Angel Beats! - it's only 13 eps so i suggest you watch this first. It's really good.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (not the second one haha)
jigoku05
lightwate wrote:
hmm i'd say hunterxhunter but you'll get bored cause of its poor graphics (it's old)

Clannad - for me, it's prolly the best anime in its category
Clannad after story - same as above
Angel Beats! - it's only 13 eps so i suggest you watch this first. It's really good.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (not the second one haha)

You should try Air and Kanon, it's similar to Clannad and Angel beats since they have same creator.
You don't like Haruhi Suzumiya 2009? Then you don't like the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody arc which is so important to the whole series?
hersandal
Avatar the last air bender, but I dunno if it is an Anime or not.
Arseniy
If you like Jean Paul Sartre and all kinds of modern philosophy, you must watch Ergo Proxy. That thing just pwns.
If you're looking for something uber-kawaii, then download Chobits, Lucky Star or ~maybe~ The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Action - then Cowboy Bebop or Hellsing. You can also try Gungrave, although I didn't enjoy it.
Oh! And Furi!Kuri! for sure.
toasterintheoven
can somebody explain to me how Jean Paul Sartre's related to Ergo Proxy? Sartre, from my novice perspective, deals with For-itselfs and In-itselfs, is there something else about Sartre's existentialism that has anything to do with Ergo Proxy. Don't get me wrong, I love how Ergo Proxy threw in all these quotes and stuff but, how did the anime itself have anything contribution to one's learning in the field of metaphysics?
Pikokola
Denvis wrote:

I'm not going to post my fav anime since it might not suit your taste that still wondering why people like anime so much.
But please allow me to reference you to some -for everybody- anime.

For a starter, you might wants to watch some anime movie, they're just 1.5-2 hours each, wouldn't take your precious time too much, and some offers top notch stories that could put many box office to a shame.
Studio Ghibli anime movies ( get some infos from www.nausicaa.net ) are one step closer to understanding the joy anime.
For non Studio Ghibli movies you might wants to consider Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leap through time, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days.

For series, if you think that you're the kind of guy that like to think about what you just watch, you might consider the noitaminA time slot anime. They offers a wide variety of anime but most of them are watchable for every one, depict a daily life of people with many stirs here and there.
here's the list, http://anidb.net/l76

for all else, you could try anything that maybe fits your taste, if you like chamber music, try nodame cantabile, if you likes sports like soccer, there's many soccer theme anime there, you likes family drama, try clannad, etcs etcs. It's back to your own taste if you're willing to tell me more about your taste, I could reference some - just pm.

also, if you already touch the 20 marks in your ages, I think you wouldn't really enjoy some shounen anime like naruto, bleach, one piece and their kind for your starting anime, they already way too much to watch and without a good dedication (referencing to that you have faith that it's good tough it's already disappoint you here and there) you might not even enjoy it at all, not to mention the old part (pre 2005 episodes) are kind of eye cancer than actual smooth animation. - for those what wants to flame me for this, let me reminds you, I watch all of those, and I got some enjoyments from those anime.

disclaimer : All links I put in my post contains no download links, just list and some review, looks elsewhere for the download links :3
dude_xyx
Angel Beats!
Kaichou Wa Maid Sama

Both are good too.
_AVG_
An anime I really enjoyed as a teen was Inu Yasha. It has comedy, action, romance, suspense, whatever you're looking for; and it has one of the best plots for an anime ever imaginable. I also found all the characters lovable, even the nemesis. I would highly recommend it to you over any other anime.
Wingsandwrinkles
I recommend To aru majutsu no index since its pretty awesome but if you are wanting a dubbed series I say full metal alchemist brotherhood.
QrafTee
I've been watching Fairy Tail and it's pretty good. I burnt through 30 episodes over the weekend. It's an ongoing anime.
ato784
Denvis wrote:

There are a lot of good shows, such as Durarara, Baccano, GunGrave, count of Monte Christos, etc.

I do recommend, if you are just starting to get into anime to try dubbed shows first to see if you like anime, then switch to subbed shows, since there are a lot more that are subbed than dubbed.
nigam
prince of tennis, hero and naruto for me....i really like it...been following these anime for years and still i download it and watch it everytime i have lots of free time in the house and nothing to do Smile
ham65
Naruto ?

I watched once and i liked.
cybersa
This thread is useful for me because i'm also new to anime.
Thanks.

Please tell more best Action anime.
megagente
It depends on your taste.

If you like anime for adults or with better storyline and plot I recommend Armored Trooper Votoms, Gundam MS Team, Gundam Stardust Memory, Gundam Igloo 1, War in the Pocket Gundam, Yamato, Harlock, Galaxy 999, Emeraldas, studio Ghibli movies (Porco Rosso, Totoro, Mononoke Hime and the others), Zipang, Ninja Gaiden, Eight Man, Ninja Scroll, Patlabor movie, Bubble Gum Crisis, Slayers, Southern Cross, Satoshi Kon productions like (Paprika, Paranoid Agent, Millenium actress and more), Kaiji, Wings of Honneamise, Akira is better to read the manga, Gunbuster, Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Requiem for the Darkness, Jin-Roh and more.
Josso
QrafTee wrote:
Other (haven't watched so have no idea where they belong) - FLCL

FOOLY COOLY!

Other is actually quite a good definition anyway lol... I call it head**** (as shown below)

I recommend:
- Paranoia agent (? self-imploding head**** but ok sort of mystery)
- Cowboy bebop (defo action/comedy)
- Ghost hound (sort of horror/sci-fi)
- Gantz (sci-fi head****)
- Elfen Lied (sci-fi/drama)
- Serial experiments lain (head****/sci-fi)
- Paprika (a movie but very good)
Jorken
Depending on which genre you want, you might not like the ones other people favoured. but i can recommend some of the ones i liked best. I've made an animelist on a website called Myanimelist.net. If you want to see which animes i've watched and how high i've ranked them you can take a look on my list: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Jorken

I've you want some personal tips and not just some random numbers on ranks i will give you some right here!

1:Naruto/Onepiece, Those two animes got ALOT of episodes and have alot of action and tension in them. If you have alot of time and wanna follow an anime for a long time, one of those is probably the best choice if youre into the genre.
2: Clannad, Clannad is more of a drama/romantic anime. with around 50 episodes with its two seasons its totally one of the best animes i've watched. The art is fantastic in my opinion and i really like the story aswell.
3: Kaicho Wa Maid Sama, THIS IS HILARIOUS! this one is my totally favourite anime, and i've watched it like 4 times allready. Its alot of comedy, some romance but the most, you will end up laughing your ass off every episode.

If you want other tips on animes, just throw me me a personal message and i will gladly recommend the best ones i've watched!
drunkenkoz
nigam wrote:
prince of tennis, hero and naruto for me....i really like it...been following these anime for years and still i download it and watch it everytime i have lots of free time in the house and nothing to do Smile
Prince of tennis is a great anime. I use to watch that anime all the time as a kid growing up. The same goes for Naruto, but it grew old fast for me.
Mr_Howl
How did no one in this thread mention Trigun? Shocked It's good. Also, it's only like 26 episodes, so it's not one of those shows with hundreds of episodes where the story never ends...
ato784
Witch Hunter Robin was pretty good, if you liked X files at all, it is basically that show if it was an anime. especially the first half.
williamluu
Stopped watchin anime years ago. Seemed the quality of anime just started falling once Naruto and Bleach started having their endless arcs...
sathym
Try death note
kbaijnat
My favorite anime by far is Detective Conan. It's about a boy named Kudo Shinichi who solves mysteries while in the body of a young boy.

It's an awesome anime and incredibly long (630+ episodes) but SO good.
donoob88
for now i guess my favorite cartoon is One Piece, it is cool.. i like the powers.. also the bleach anime, cool using of swords Very Happy
busaboss
I strongly recommend Naruto as the best anime for those who are looking for something to watch. It is really cool and the story is just amazing. It will definitely get anyone hooked once they try to watch it.
ath8484
WALLE
The best movie till date. A movie where robots convey emotions with out speaking a single word.

SPIRIT: Stallion of the Cimarron
I'm kinda biased towards horses. But still this remains one of my all time favourites because of its back ground score and adventurous storyline. Smile
gaconex
Soul Eater- a comedy action anime ...you should take a look!
Chellesei
I will recommend Kaichou was Maid-sama. Smile Just like what the other members said, it's really funny and awesome. Very Happy Ever since the anime ended, I've always been waiting for the updates of its manga. Maid-sama never disappointed me. Cool

Next are Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~. Very Happy This one is really good. It is really dramatic and touching. But, there are also times that it's funny. Laughing

The Wallflower or Yamato Nadeshiko is funny too. xD I laughed out loud lots of times while watching this. Laughing Now that I remember it, I think I should read the manga too. Very Happy

Code Geass and its sequel Code Geass R2 are cool! The main character is so smart. Very Happy This one's full of action and thrill.

Fairy Tail is really interesting. I haven't finished watching this yet since it has a lot of episodes (but it's number of episodes is not as much if you compare it to Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece).

Vampire Knight is okay. But I can't bring myself to read the manga. I hate the fact that the heroine is in love with his brother. Mad I mean, no matter what reason is... it's just kinda disgusting.

Others are La Corda d'Oro, Kobato, Chihayafuru, Infinite Stratos, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, and Ouran High School Host Club. Smile
ZapMon
Naruto
Dragon Ball Z
Idaten Jump
Inuyasha

there good anime Very Happy
ble771
i think best is One Piece.
theinfernox
pandora hearts.
lugathe
how everybody said

death note >>> code geass (believe me its so amazing)
elfen lied
tkko
hellsing
gun grave
black lagoon <<< its nice!
claymore
jigoku shoujo
steins;gate
chaos;head
umineko no naku koro ni
higurashi no naku koro ni
shiki
etc.

i think you would like it
requiem for the phatom is a good choice
afro samurai
pandora heat
and detroit metal city

you would try see school days and kill me baby

i like trigun and beelzebub too
tozd
Some random recommendations from the top of my head

Shigofumi, Binbogami ga(comedy), Accel World, Great Teacher Onizuka(classic) and Mawaru Penguindrum.
jamesparker
vampires knight is very great.
twilight1984
If you are over eighteen i strongly recommend this anime for you to watch and enjoy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Freezing_episodes

The Genres are : Action, Comedy, Science fiction, Fantasy, Romance.
and the music is very unique and match with the story line and the story line is very unpredictable.
Enjoy
Smalfinn
twilight1984 wrote:
If you are over eighteen i strongly recommend this anime for you to watch and enjoy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Freezing_episodes

The Genres are : Action, Comedy, Science fiction, Fantasy, Romance.
and the music is very unique and match with the story line and the story line is very unpredictable.
Enjoy

It's also an ecchi; not that I'm saying its a bad anime but the amount was un-needed
wildboinga
My Suggestion is for Dragon Ball Z, Captain Tsubasa, Dragon Ball, Avatar- The Last Air Bender.
If you want to watch animation movies then there are many more such as RIO, Kungfu Panda, Megamind, Despicable Me, Puss in Boots, Grave of the Fireflies, Tangled, Wall-E etc.
13zohan
yoguna sora is an interesting anime for beginners
jakler
Knights of Zodiac
It's the best anime of the world.
In Spanish: Caballeros del Zodiaco
Habagat
If you're looking for newly released anime I would suggest watching Seirei Tsukai no Blade or sword art online. I think you'll these two.
lordfarhan40
I guess watch Full Metal Alchemist.. then watch death note. Keep the better for the later.... Very Happy