FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Linux distro allows easiest installation of add-on?

shenyl
I would like to have recommendation for a Linux version that is easiest to install other add on programs, rather than just working with the pre-configured packages.

Thus, the Linux version, must also have many add ons to choose from.

I am rather spoiled for choice working under Windows OS, and only uses Linux with their pre-selected packages (normally only the standard stuff).

Appreciate help, as I have now an opportunity to re-install my Linux on my NB, as I deleted my previous Linux, to give some space to my data partition. This leaves me with 36GB for installation.

Thanks.
ocalhoun
In OpenSuSE, you choose from a pre-made list of packages to install, but the list is huge (including, for example, 4 different full-featured word processing programs), and you can very easily add more on later, especially if you use the internet install option, so later additions can be installed directly from online repositories.

Installing things not on the list is easy if they come in RPM packages for that version of OpenSuSE, but generic linux-add-ons will still work, but be difficult to install.

The act of installing is easy.
-start YaST
-give root password
-select software management
-select the software you want from the list (which can be organized different ways, and searched)
-click accept, then wait a little while, and then when it's done, your software is ready to use.
sheedatali
To be honest pretty much all the major Linux distributions have some sort of package management software, Ubuntu uses aptitude, Fedora uses Yum and Suse uses Yast. However there are only two major versions of packaged software i-e RPM or DEB. RPM is Redhat standard and DEB is Debian standard, both of these are support across all platforms since they do pretty much the same thing.
froginabox
Ubuntu is a great "beginner" linux, it also has great support forums. OpenSuSE is handy but bloated if you select too many packages...
czarulit
In ubuntu there is, apart from synaptic, an application called 'add and remove applications' or something. It contains a list of most popular apps with descriptions, which are available from repository.
surdy
I would say if you are a newbie to LINUX world. Ubuntu,in my opinion, would be the best distro to start with. You would have least hassles and most of the stuff working.
Arnie
Dear God people, please stop Ubutnu'ing this guy. If you read the starting post* he's not new to Linux and even if he was I wouldn't recommend the brown-coloured distro, but that's beside the point.* which seems to be quite hard for most Ubutnu users as we found out at the Debian forums

Shenyl, if you're talking about "non-preconfigured software", do you mean optional extra's to be picked from a so-called repository ("software package collection")? This was already described by ocalhoun and it works for most major distributions, except maybe the hardcore ones where you're supposed to compile everything yourself. You can just go for a major distribution such as Debian or Fedora. Most major Linux software is available in their corresponding package formats, DEB and RPM respectively, and collected in the distribution's repositories which are easily accessible from a default installation. In Debian for example you can use the program aptitude to get a list of installable software (although people who like graphical instead of text tools will use synaptic). If you so choose you could also use a spin-off (aka mutilated version) of such a main distribution - for example Ubutnu. They also have the same type of repositories.

Or do you mean software that's not in the distribution's repository? Such software is usually released in one or more of these forms:
1) a custom repository
e.g. http://deb.opera.com/
2) a custom package to download and install
e.g. dpkg -i opera_9.64.2480.gcc4.qt3_amd64.deb
3) a binary to download and simply extract and run, maybe with an installer script
e.g. the nVidia drivers sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.44-pkg1.run or YSFlight
4) source code to download and compile yourself, provided that you took care of dependencies which should be listed in the documentation
e.g. the original XMMS player, which has been removed from many repositories, can be installed with the usual ./configure, make and make install. Dependencies are libglib1.2-dev and libgtk1.2-dev.