FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Seagate 500GB hard disk stopped working

gilwe
After only 6 month of purchase, the hard disk of a friend of mine, suddently has stopped responding.

I can hear the motor starting as I power the computer on, but no OS loaded...

Actually the computer won't get anywhere once the BIOS initializes....

Can you think of any other option other than a bad disk, or is this necessarily a hardware issue ?
Pepperfan
gilwe,

There is a reasonable chance that it is the hard drive but what specifically tells you that it is the hard drive? Do you eventually get a hard disk error on the monitor? If so exactly what is it?

If you boot off your XP CD can it see the hard drive?

If the data loss isn't huge you should just call you computer vendor and have it swapped out.

Charles
Diablosblizz
Try swapping it into a different computer and see what happens, if it boots then it's something wrong with hardware. If it doesn't, then it's the drive.
joostvane
Hey,

First of all, open your case and push in the cables. One of them might have a bad connection. Maybe even try to pull them out, blow in it (to get dust out) and put them back in.

Also, do a HDD check: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#seagate .

Burn these programs on a disk, and boot from the disk.
aningbo
or why dont u insert the windows bootable cd and try to 'repair' your system.
it is possible that your system is corrupted and nothing to do with hardware.

i have seen few problems where the system doesnt go beyond BIOS and doesnt give any error but keeps restarting

- and repairing helps instead of going through all those.
nhatoday
I also have the Seagate 500GB hard disk and is stop working too. Just hear some noise when I turn my computer on, but the computer doesn't see it. Don't know what to do.
Jaan
here's an awesome lifehacker post (then again, every LH post is awesome xD):

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/05/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools/

can you tell i'm a LH nut yet?

but give those a try, if they dont fix it at least they'll help diagnose what exactly is wrong with the drive

cheers
Jamestf347
Try to format it, that was my solution for it... I had the same problem with the same brand.
nhatoday
When I connect the external drive to my computer, My Dell desktop computer doesn't recognize the Seagate 500GB hard drive. I only hear the driver disk spin but nothing display on my computer. Therefore, I cannot format it.
thanks
Jamestf347
Does any of your other USB devices work in that port? And If you can't format it, try a different computer if that still doesn't work, Tell me.