FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IE 8 ?

Twotone
I'm currently using IE7 on a laptop with XP Pro SP3 can I or should I Upgrade to IE 8
Anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages please Question
HamsterMan
Advantages:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288472.aspx

Disadvantages:
Still worse than firefox and chrome for a variety of reasons.
Diablosblizz
If you're looking for protection IE has stepped up a lot lately. They now check websites with their Onecare Suite and Malicous Software Removal Tool.

I still personally use Firefox, although I am using IE8 right now cause I am in Windows 7.
umeshtangnu
IE 8 is better than IE 7 in terms of speed n security
Twotone
Thanks to all for your input. I am now trying Chrome which seems cool Smile
Diablosblizz
Chrome also is more secure than Firefox as well. (Don't flame me, watch this) Chrome has the ability of searching Googles indexes (which actually index's pages every second) to see if URLs are malicous, and set's an error.

If you want, you can see all three browser tests at the links below:

Firefox vs Malware
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
Chrome also is more secure than Firefox as well. (Don't flame me, watch this) Chrome has the ability of searching Googles indexes (which actually index's pages every second) to see if URLs are malicous, and set's an error.

If you want, you can see all three browser tests at the links below:

Firefox vs Malware
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer

That's very misleading, frankly. What you are seeing there is just one test: a test of the "suspected attack site" feature. And that is only as good as the database used. Other attacks, such as ActiveX (exclusive to Internet Explorer and the worst design choice Microsoft ever made) are abundant in IE, and browser security holes allowing for javascript or similar to install malicious programs automatically are again abundant in IE. I can't say much for Chrome, for the simple fact that I haven't used it, but Firefox is really very secure, and Google Chrome, from what I've heard, is similarly secure.
Diablosblizz
Yes, well if you're basing it off of an "average" user, instead of people that have somewhat knowledge of computers, then it's better than nothing. Quite frankly, any user that doesn't know much about there computer will probably download that file, without knowing what it is about, kids mostly. I'm not saying that's completely the case, but it usually is.

Agreed, ActiveX is horrible and should be removed. Although I do give credit to IE for trying to make downloading .exe's safer, although the ActiveX does need to be changed.
chartcentral
Mozilla Firefox is my main browser. But for Internet Explorer, I find myself using version 8 more often than I was using version 7. I like its Developer Tools, far improved from the IE Developer Toolbar add-on. IE8 can even let you render pages as they would appear in IE7, that works well for me! Smile
Fire Boar
Diablosblizz wrote:
Yes, well if you're basing it off of an "average" user, instead of people that have somewhat knowledge of computers, then it's better than nothing. Quite frankly, any user that doesn't know much about there computer will probably download that file, without knowing what it is about, kids mostly. I'm not saying that's completely the case, but it usually is.

Agreed, ActiveX is horrible and should be removed. Although I do give credit to IE for trying to make downloading .exe's safer, although the ActiveX does need to be changed.

Hm, you've got a good point there. The users who know nothing about what they're doing will just do whatever it takes to "make it work". They'll click "OK" or "Allow" without really considering what it means. Example: a friend of mine had a friend who is just like that. This guy was asking my friend, who set his computer up, to help him install something he got in an email, because it said it needed administrator privilages (he was running on a limited account at the direction of my friend). Well, turns out this guy didn't know exactly what it was he was installing - he said he just got it in an email and one of his friends said it was good. Of course, it was a virus sent by a zombie.
Diablosblizz
If Firefox had this built in that would be wonderful. I usually do download files that even I don't believe are 100% safe. I always go to Virustotal.com though to check it out.
rockacola
umeshtangnu wrote:
IE 8 is better than IE 7 in terms of speed n security

Ditto. If you are an IE user, you do want to keep up to the latest update MS offer.
nivinjoy
Whichever version of Internet Explorer you use you are gonna face some problems...!! In my opinion Mozilla Firefox is better and is the best...!! I always try to use Mozilla Firefox if it is available in the system i am browsing...!! So switch to Mozilla Firefox so that you enjoy a happy browsing...!!
snowboardalliance
If you are a web developer, upgrade. You can test your site in IE7 still because it has some kind of compatibility mode (which is good since it's the one browser we need to test multiple versions of and can't have them all installed easily). Anyway, it's good to see what IE8 users will see on your site. I wouldn't use it over firefox, opera, or chrome though.
Agent ME
Diablosblizz wrote:

Chrome also reports back to google on URLs visited last I checked, which isn't exactly the definition of security.
tamilparks
you can get a tabbed browser and the fastest browsing
malcolmpreen
early in its life, there are some web applications (like ones I use at work), that don't work with IE8

Having said that... apart from that... it does seem better than IE7 (although I would use Opera, Firefox and Chrome in that order first whereever I can)

Malcolm
gilwe
I test applications which work with miscellaneous browsers and found IE8 still have some issues.

Try Firefox 3 or stay with IE7 until these issues are sorted out.
amperx
IE8 = stick with FF or chrome, they're still on those issues way back 6, i cant believe how microsoft does that
tdossi
With the IE8 I more often have the problem, of the IE8 still to him do not start any more reacted. Then I must restart the IE8 or the computer. Also the performance could be better. Greeting tdossi Confused
Raymond
BlehIE8.

I can't stand it. They have completely ruined the GUI of it, while sticking with their tab ideas (stolen from firefox)

I much prefer firefox and chrome. Safari is still worse than IE8 (In my opinion) though Very Happy
tdossi
I prefer beside the IE8 also the new Firefox.

One is more independent with it.

Firefox is available for the operating systems Microsoft Windows (from 2000), Linux and Mac OS X (from version 10.4). The Linux version of the Firefox 3 needs, in addition, different packages and libraries of third who are already provided with the majority of the distributions from publication date in the middle of 2006.

According to manufacturer's data the minimum system requirements for Windows / Linux are Intel Pentium with 233 MHz, 64 MB RAM and 52 mb of hard disk. The versions for Mac need meanwhile at least one PowerPC G3, 128 MB RAM and 200 mb of hard disk.

Particularly I also like the Portable issue.
The official issue of Mozilla Firefox requires normally an installation on the target system. However, this complicates the calculator-covering application with change data carriers (for example, with an USB-Stick) which enable, among the rest, to use Firefox easily with the same profile, that is the same bookmarks, course, form inputs, passwords, settings etc., in office computer and home computer. That's why a portable issue is also offered with PortableApps.com by Firefox – Mozilla Firefox, Portable the edition – which was adapted so far that she can become directly on a change data carrier entpackt and is usable on this. Besides, there remain the sensitive data on the change data carrier and must not stay behind on the local hard disk of the used calculator.