FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the best free software for software development?

blk3
I was just wondering what is the best combination of free software that can be used for general software development. For example commercial softwares like Visual Studio and Crystal Reports creates a nice tandem for creating lots of different kinds of systems for windows like Accounting system , Inventory system etc. we all know that these software cost quite a lot, so if you are just a freelance programmer, I don't think these solution would be that much viable. What I'm looking for is a free development software that freelance programmers can use to create commercial software. It would also be nice if the devt tools can be compiled for multiple OS like it would work for both Windows or Linux.
Diablosblizz
What are you looking to program in? There's a lot of difference choices to choose from programming. I think Visual Basic 6 is very easy to create programs in, and well it's not that hard to learn. It's not free though.
HamsterMan
http://www.turboexplorer.com/
Turbo Delphi explorer is a free version of the commercial Borland Delphi, a great IDE for developing Window based applications for microsoft windows in.
blk3
Diablosblizz wrote:
What are you looking to program in? There's a lot of difference choices to choose from programming. I think Visual Basic 6 is very easy to create programs in, and well it's not that hard to learn. It's not free though.

I've tried the combination of Visual Basic 6 and Crystal Reports XI before when I used to work as a programmer on an insurance firm. You're right VB6 is easy to learn and very productive. Only problem is its not for free maybe a few years from now Microsoft might offer it for free. And besides Crystal Reports is very expensive specially the developer version. And VB6 , I think compiles only for Windows not Linux Systems. I've heard about Visual Studio Express versions from Microsoft but some say they are very incomplete.

What I'm looking into program in is more of general applications like inventories, accounting etc. With mainly features I'm looking for is database connectivity for major databases like MS SQL, MyQL Access etc. also with good report making capability (It doesn't have to be as good as crystal reports but needs to have capability for Groupings, Formulas and running totals.
badai
is it really free? at download page it say trial version, and i need to register to get activation code. i don't want to register unless i know it's really free.

HamsterMan wrote:
Turbo Delphi explorer is a free version of the commercial Borland Delphi, a great IDE for developing Window based applications for microsoft windows in.
HamsterMan
badai wrote:
is it really free? at download page it say trial version, and i need to register to get activation code. i don't want to register unless i know it's really free.

HamsterMan wrote:

Yes you get the activation code for free.
nitro01
Well, depending on what you want to do, this may work for you.
It is called Visual Studio 2008 Express. They are free versions of Microsofts Visual C programming languages. I use these personally for Xbox360 community game development. You can also download the MSDN library for free as well (seeing as how you'll probably need it).

http://www.microsoft.com/express/default.aspx

Take a look at it, should be worth your time.
David_Pardy
The Borland Turbo Explorer versions of their software are ALL free - but there are also paid versions available.

I use Borland Turbo C++ Explorer and it is great.

There's also DevC++ which a lot of people swear by, but I don't use it myself. It's an Open Source C++ API.

You can get Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J#, Visual C#, and a free version of MSSQL Server in the Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2008 set. I have also downloaded this. Unlike with the Borland free offerings, you can have all of those products installed on the same computer. With the Borland Turbo Explorer software packages, you can only have one installed at a time - so Turbo C++ on one computer, Turbo Delphi on another, etc.

The Turbo Explorer packages also come with a free version of InterBase 7.5 from memory.

I'm not really sure how their offerings compare with Crystal Reports though, as I have no actual working experience with Crystal Reports. It's one of the few software packages that I haven't actually touched in my line of work, although I've seen it around quite a lot.
welshsteve
I only develop websites so can't really comment, although I have had some experience with MS Visual Basic Express 2005 and 2008 Editions for making basic apps, and these are fine if you can program in vb.net
gcaughill
nitro01 wrote:
Well, depending on what you want to do, this may work for you.
It is called Visual Studio 2008 Express. They are free versions of Microsofts Visual C programming languages. I use these personally for Xbox360 community game development. You can also download the MSDN library for free as well (seeing as how you'll probably need it).

http://www.microsoft.com/express/default.aspx

Take a look at it, should be worth your time.

These are pretty good for Windows Microsoft development. I use the C# version when I need to, although most of my programming is in PHP these days.
gcaughill
David_Pardy wrote:
The Borland Turbo Explorer versions of their software are ALL free - but there are also paid versions available.

I use Borland Turbo C++ Explorer and it is great.

There's also DevC++ which a lot of people swear by, but I don't use it myself. It's an Open Source C++ API.

You can get Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual J#, Visual C#, and a free version of MSSQL Server in the Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2008 set. I have also downloaded this. Unlike with the Borland free offerings, you can have all of those products installed on the same computer. With the Borland Turbo Explorer software packages, you can only have one installed at a time - so Turbo C++ on one computer, Turbo Delphi on another, etc.

The Turbo Explorer packages also come with a free version of InterBase 7.5 from memory.

I'm not really sure how their offerings compare with Crystal Reports though, as I have no actual working experience with Crystal Reports. It's one of the few software packages that I haven't actually touched in my line of work, although I've seen it around quite a lot.

Can you provide a link to these? I did not know Borland was releasing free versions of their products. Got my professional start programming in Borland C++ Builder. I still think it is superior in some ways to the Microsoft products although Borland (or whatever their current name is) has never been good at the business end of things.