FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about hosting in general

tchaunt
I already have an account on here for my business's website (if it wasn't obvious enough). I am wanting to start a website for my free time, but I don't want it to be a sub-domain. I'm pretty sure to get a second account on here, you have to pay or something. So.....my question is, what are some good hosts?
Here's a list of things I want:
-Just code editing--NO visual editors
-No forced ads
-Allowed to have your own ads
-PHP enabled

Any other features would be fine, but that's the main things I want.
If I'm wrong and you can have a second website of Frih (like actually allowed to create a new account, post, and then get hosted, then post each day), please tell me.
If I'm not wrong, what are some good websites with a decent bandwidth that offer all of the features that I put in the list above.
truespeed
You can add as many domains to your frih account as you want, if you don't want to use a frih sub domain,then purchase a domain from a domain registrar,and add it in your direct admin,then point it from the domain registrar to here.
JBotAlan
truespeed wrote:
You can add as many domains to your frih account as you want, if you don't want to use a frih sub domain,then purchase a domain from a domain registrar,and add it in your direct admin,then point it from the domain registrar to here.

How would I distinguish between the sites? Would I need a bit of PHP to determine what the incoming URL is and load the proper page, or is there a cleaner way of doing this?
truespeed

JBotAlan
^^^

I am not sure what you mean,if you purchase 2 domains,you can add them in direct admin.

Example. www.domain1.com and www.domain2.com

No coding is required,they are separate domains. Once added, folders will appear in your ftp for each domain.
ParsaAkbari
You link the diffrent domains to diffrent folders or directorys in your frihost account
tchaunt
Thanks for the replies. I will only resort to the multi-domain thing if I can't find another host by Sunday night. I am trying to start a very expensive business, and even $3.99 can make a difference. Buying a domain would be the last thing I do. But thanks for the input. Smile
ocalhoun
All the features you ask for should be present in EVERY paid host... junk like you mention is stuff you only have to put up with in free hosts, (though, thankfully, not frihost.)

Finding a good one isn't hard. I got one with unlimited space and bandwidth for around $25 a year, and it included a domain name. A little expensive when used to a free host, but they have 24hr support, and having no limit to space is so convenient. I never have to worry about using too much!

Surprisingly, the place I found that was on Ebay! Try searching Ebay for web hosting, and you might find a good deal.
Diablosblizz
tchaunt wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I will only resort to the multi-domain thing if I can't find another host by Sunday night. I am trying to start a very expensive business, and even $3.99 can make a difference. Buying a domain would be the last thing I do. But thanks for the input. Smile

Frihost offers a free subdomain, so it could be something.frih.net. You in theory don't need a top level domain (such as .com), because a subdomain does the same thing, it's just longer.
tchaunt
So........this is what I got from what you just said. I don't have to use %%%%.tchaunt.frih.org? I'm actually allowed to use %%%%.frih.org even though I already have tchaunt.frih.org?
ocalhoun
tchaunt wrote:
I'm actually allowed to use %%%%.frih.org even though I already have tchaunt.frih.org?

No, you're not.
But, who knows? If you ask, maybe they will give you another *.frih.org address, because doing that won't consume any resources or space, the only downside is that somebody else might be prevented from getting that name. (okay, it will use resources, but just an insignificant amount)

You could also buy just a domain, and direct it to your frihost account. My equinedream.org is hosted on frihost, and costs just around $6 something per year. Then, you can make subdomains of that domain you own, like I did with stories.equinedream.org and community.equinedream.org. It'll also allow you to keep the same URL, even if you change hosts later.

!
Idea!
Try one of these sites (or one of many others that do the same thing)!
They give you a free subdomain of their domain, just as good as a *.frih.org subdomain.
http://www.shorturl.com/
http://www.freedomain.co.nr/

-caution: I haven't tried either of these myself, just found them in a quick google search. Try to make sure they'll allow you to map the subdomain to name servers, not just redirect it, though redirection should still be an option. Also, make sure they won't put ads on your site for using it.
Diablosblizz
Well you could have a subdomain of a subdomain. Not sure if that's allowed here, I don't think I've heard anybody ask about it.
ocalhoun
Diablosblizz wrote:
Well you could have a subdomain of a subdomain. Not sure if that's allowed here, I don't think I've heard anybody ask about it.

You can. I have frih.onet.frih.net as an example
Diablosblizz
It's just another directory, so I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't be allowed. Although perhaps is there was a space limitation, or something (although a folder equals basically nothing with the space today) around those lines.

Good thing to know! Thanks ocalhoun.