FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Childhood cancer

CureChildhoodcancer
KIDS ARE DYING TO BE SAVED; CURE CHILDHOOD cancer.

Did you know that one in every 300 people under the age of 20 will be diagnosed with a form of childhood cancer? Did you know that of those 1 in 5 will not survive, that’s right 1 in 5 will die. 34 kids a day, every day, will be diagnosed with cancer and 7 kids will die each day from childhood cancer!!! & innocent children EVER DAY!! Childhood cancer will KILL 7 kids a day, every day, it does not take of weekends or holidays, it does not care about race or socioeconomic background. Childhood cancer simply kills kids, all the time. Childhood cancer is the #1 cause of death from disease for our children, every year it kills more than asthma, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, congenital anomalies, and pediatric AIDS combined. Did you know that? Do you care? Do you want to help?

Please join me and many others in trying to defeat this disease. Go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or Curesearch.org or any one of the other foundations and organizations set up to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer research.

Childhood cancer sucks!

Jarrod gets to win!!!!
HamsterMan
Cure cancer and you cure childhood cancer.

There have been significant progress in curing cancer over the last years. Getting cancer no longer means a death sentence as there are reliable methods of maintaining and even curing many different types of it, and a lot of new cures are underway and being researched right now.
8166UY
One at every 3000 you mean. But still, it are a lot and I see them everyday since my faculty is in the same building as Holland's biggest child hospital.
CureChildhoodcancer
8166UY wrote:
One at every 3000 you mean. But still, it are a lot and I see them everyday since my faculty is in the same building as Holland's biggest child hospital.

I wrote what I ment. 1 in every 300 boys and 1 in every 333 girls in the USA will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 20. That is 12,500 a year, every year. I don't know what your ratios are in Holland, but that is ours here in the US. 1 in about every 300 kids!!! And of those about 1 in 5 will die.
CureChildhoodcancer
HamsterMan wrote:
Cure cancer and you cure childhood cancer.

There have been significant progress in curing cancer over the last years. Getting cancer no longer means a death sentence as there are reliable methods of maintaining and even curing many different types of it, and a lot of new cures are underway and being researched right now.

Children get different cancers than adults. Cure adult cancer and that would be an amazing wonderful day, but it would not automatically mean a cure for childhood cancers. Adults and kids get different cancer. To follow your notion one further, a cure for adult cancer can not just be scaled down in dosage and be expected to cure children (side effects not even considered). Children are very different from adults, physiologically and developmentally. Radiate an adult brain with a tumor and you fight the cancer, radiate the brain of a 3 year old (not actually done) and you fight the cancer and scramble the brain. I would love to see cancer as a whole cured. But I advocate for those who can not advocate or speak for themselves. There is no voting block of kids with ALL or neuroblastoma or the like. Adults have to stand up for these kids and cures need to be found.

Kids are Dying to be Saved; Cure Childhood cancer.
HamsterMan
CureChildhoodcancer wrote:
Children get different cancers than adults. Cure adult cancer and that would be an amazing wonderful day, but it would not automatically mean a cure for childhood cancers. Adults and kids get different cancer. To follow your notion one further, a cure for adult cancer can not just be scaled down in dosage and be expected to cure children (side effects not even considered). Children are very different from adults, physiologically and developmentally. Radiate and adult brain with a tumor and you fight the cancer, radiate the brain of a 3 year old (not actually done) and you fight the cancer and scramble the brain. I would love to see cancer as whole cured. But I advocate for those who can not advocate or speak for themselves. There is no voting block of kids with All or neuroblastoma or such. Adults have to stand of for these kids and cures need to be found.

If an efficient cancer cure is found where there are no serious side effects like Chemotherapy or radiation therapy has then children could be given the same treatment as adults.

Research being done is all the same trying to reduce the side effects of cancer treatments for both adults and children.
8166UY
8166UY wrote:

I wrote what I ment. 1 in every 300 boys and 1 in every 333 girls in the USA will be diagnosed with cancer before the age of 20. That is 12,500 a year, every year. I don't know what your ratios are in Holland, but that is ours here in the US. 1 in about every 300 kids!!! And of those about 1 in 5 will die.

I found an article with the numbers in the Lancett. I'm afraid you're right... 140 per million per year of life. 140x20/1000000 is about 1/300
deanhills
I am almost sure that the potential for curing cancer in children is already there. Except there could be obstacles, such as with gene therapy and stem cell therapy. I think there is some research in the UK with gene therapy for embryos in women with a history of breast cancer in the family and doctoring genes as a preventive measure. So similarly I would think interventions could be made for young children who are predisposed to cancer in families. Stem cell research has come very far, except many objections against it from an ethical point of view. All of it is there, but I can imagine from a cost point of view, and it being relatively new, very difficult to introduce. So yes, I agree, there should be efforts for getting funds together, but possibly also efforts on the political level to speed up progress with gene therapy and stem cell research.
CureChildhoodcancer
deanhills wrote:
I am almost sure that the potential for curing cancer in children is already there. Except there could be obstacles, such as with gene therapy and stem cell therapy. I think there is some research in the UK with gene therapy for embryos in women with a history of breast cancer in the family and doctoring genes as a preventive measure. So similarly I would think interventions could be made for young children who are predisposed to cancer in families. Stem cell research has come very far, except many objections against it from an ethical point of view. All of it is there, but I can imagine from a cost point of view, and it being relatively new, very difficult to introduce. So yes, I agree, there should be efforts for getting funds together, but possibly also efforts on the political level to speed up progress with gene therapy and stem cell research.

Dean, I agree that stem cell research will most likely play a key role in finding cures fro not just childhood cancer but for many diseases. Progress is being made everyday. With the changes in the political climate here in the US, I expect to see an increase in the use of stem cell research in the childhood cancer arena. HOPEfully the new research that will be allowed with the changing ot the rules imposed by political pundits will lead to cures and will lead to children's lives being saved. My biggest fear is that the National Institute of Health will continue to fund childhood cancer with only 3% of their budget and that these monetary restrictions along with large drug companies not seeing a chance for big profits in the childhood caner arena will limit the amount of research being conducted on childhood cancer. There are wonderful places (i.e. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Sloan Kettering Cancer Center...) doing amazing things in this area, survival rates at 5 years from diagnosis continue to trend up, but kids are still dying, futures are still going unfulfilled, promise is still being unrealized.

Kids are Dying to be Saved, Cure Childhood cancer.
CureChildhoodcancer
8166UY wrote:
8166UY wrote:

I found an article with the numbers in the Lancett. I'm afraid you're right... 140 per million per year of life. 140x20/1000000 is about 1/300

I wish I could gloat and say, yes I know. but to be honest with you I hate knowing these numbers. I hate having lived in this world of sick and dying children for the last three years. It was three years ago today that my happy little family was thrust into the dark world of childhood cancer. I hate it. We are lucky in that my son is still alive, but he is forever changed and damaged by the disease and the cure. I am forever changed by the experieince. The numbers are too big, 1 in 300 and 1 in 5. Of course I would think any number is too big!!!!!!! I wish for, I HOPE for a cure.

Kidas are Dying to be Saved; Cure Childhood cancer.
CureChildhoodcancer
HamsterMan wrote:
Children get different cancers than adults. Cure adult cancer and that would be an amazing wonderful day, but it would not automatically mean a cure for childhood cancers. Adults and kids get different cancer. To follow your notion one further, a cure for adult cancer can not just be scaled down in dosage and be expected to cure children (side effects not even considered). Children are very different from adults, physiologically and developmentally. Radiate and adult brain with a tumor and you fight the cancer, radiate the brain of a 3 year old (not actually done) and you fight the cancer and scramble the brain. I would love to see cancer as whole cured. But I advocate for those who can not advocate or speak for themselves. There is no voting block of kids with All or neuroblastoma or such. Adults have to stand of for these kids and cures need to be found.

If an efficient cancer cure is found where there are no serious side effects like Chemotherapy or radiation therapy has then children could be given the same treatment as adults.

Research being done is all the same trying to reduce the side effects of cancer treatments for both adults and children.

So what is this magic bullet? The one that destroys all types of cancer and has no side effects? The one that can be used on people of all ages and all diagnosis? Please tell me... The vast majority of research being done is target specific. The largest research projects are for breast and prostate cancers, neither of which are found in children, neither of which translate into treatments for children. Kids are currently being treated with scaled down versions of adult treatments. These treatments are saving kids life but at what cost. Too many kids are left cognitively damaged, blind, deaf, and/or with secondary cancers as direct results of treatment and more. Look in to the eyes of a 5 year old cancer kid's mother and tell her how great the adult research is and how it will save her child with DIPG (Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma) some day; maybe or it may kill him in the process. Or maybe just take away his ability to walk or ever have mental abilities more that that of a three year old. I have said it before and research backs it up, children get different cancers from adult, children respond differently and usually less favorably to scaled down adult treatments, the fight against childhood cancer may benefit from adult cancer research, but it will not be cured because of it. There is no magic bullet....