FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what is going to happen to firefox?

will firefox remain a viable contender for IE once it is privatised?
yes
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
no
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
you are smokin' crack
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
i am smokin' crack
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

limpinlou
will firefox be a viable program now that mozilla seems to have gone private?

or did something stop this from happening?

will it turn to crap ala bill g? Sad
AlphaAddict
I never thought id be draged from the fox but ms did it in ie 6.5.4074 compatable with avalon win fs reams of new fetures best looking browser ever.Die Firefox.....
RA
A. The Mozilla Foundation (mozilla.org) is still a non-profit organization. They still hold the Firefox trademarks and are where the buck stops for any changes to Firefox.

B. The Mozilla Foundation is sublicensing the Firefox trademark to the Mozilla Coroporation to allow money made from the Firefox to legally go back into Mozilla development without the pain associated with non-profit income.

C. The Mozilla Corporation is not a stock-based company, so they are not in business to make money for shareholders. They are "owned" by the Mozilla Foundation, so any money made from the Mozilla Corporation that does not go to salaries/rent/etc. goes straight back into Mozilla/Firefox projects.
AlphaAddict
If they continue to blatently ignore win fs an avalon that will be the death of them
n0obie4life
I'll switch to opera or stop using the internet.
Ranfaroth
limpinlou wrote:
will firefox be a viable program now that mozilla seems to have gone private?
Firefox is free software. Who care if a commercial society gives founds for it's dev ? Lot's of other free softwares are in the same case Rolling Eyes
RA
AlphaAddict: Are you joking? WinFS and avalon barely even exist. The current versions are alpha-quality products, and won't start showing up in the retail sector for another year. Most of the features of WinFS have no bearing at all on users (they won't know if Firefox uses it at all), and the Avalon part can easily be faked with a theme. Also, Firefox 2.0 will have support to 2D (and probably 3D) hardware graphics acceleration through Cairo.
dan751
I think that Firefox will dominate the web broweser section of the net. I fully support it too.
Tasadduq Khan
Fire fox is simply the best. I am with them. And supporting them completely without even any hesitation Very Happy
AlphaAddict
RA wrote:
AlphaAddict: Are you joking? WinFS and avalon barely even exist. The current versions are alpha-quality products, and won't start showing up in the retail sector for another year. Most of the features of WinFS have no bearing at all on users (they won't know if Firefox uses it at all), and the Avalon part can easily be faked with a theme. Also, Firefox 2.0 will have support to 2D (and probably 3D) hardware graphics acceleration through Cairo.

you havnt the slightst clue Laughing
win fs beta 1 has just been relesed and no there is no way to fake avalon

show me how to fake this with a theme Laughing
Ranfaroth
AlphaAddict, read this article, and you'll understand why WinFS (not available in Vista IIRC) and Avalon are not a threat for Mozilla...
AlphaAddict
i dont care what some linux geek wrote
Im using Win Fs And Avalon NOW and it most certenly is a thert i dont even bother installing it anymore

Mad again how do you plan to emulate this with themes pawnt>>
RA
Just because you are using these technologies now (in testing) doesn't mean anyone significant (like a corporation or a large end-user group) is. Again, Windows "Vista" is nearly a year away, and WinFS isn't even going to be part of Vista when it is released.
AlphaAddict
RA wrote:
Just because you are using these technologies now (in testing) doesn't mean anyone significant (like a corporation or a large end-user group) is. Again, Windows "Vista" is nearly a year away, and WinFS isn't even going to be part of Vista when it is released.
by then win fs beta 1 will be avable to all
beta 2 is much closer and will be leagly downloadable by ALL
and read this
Ranfaroth
AlphaAddict wrote:
i dont care what some linux geek wrote
You should, because they clearly explain why Avalon will be a failure.
And who cares what you are using ?
Quote:
Mad again how do you plan to emulate this with themes pawnt>>
But what's the link with a web browser ? You're showing a desktop, don't you understand it ?
If you want to talk about desktop, open a new thread, and people will be glad to show you that such eye candy effects already exist on Linux for two or three years...
AlphaAddict
your convinced it will fail youve never used it (no im not phsyic but if you did youd know better)
anyway you probly think you need 10Gb of ram...

Avalon Video
how can i put this hee is taking out of his ass if you listen to people who have actuly used the os youd be better informed...
Ranfaroth
AlphaAddict wrote:
your convinced it will fail youve never used it (no im not phsyic but if you did youd know better)
You don't understand nothing...
It's not about using it, it's about how late and non compatible it is (it will be available only on one or two plateform).

But now, could you just stop this off topic please ?
ES-usls
Yeah firefox will remain a good contender.. Its free and stil have the best to offer when it comes to web browsing..