FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Game creators

ravikanth
Hello,
Any game designers here? I heard people make a lot of money with games. How do people get an idea of what kind of games work and what kind of games do not work

Ravikanth
ParsaAkbari
To be a games designer first you must learn a launguage such as C++ which i reccomend.
Then you will probably want some sort of 3d graphics designer e.g blender / 3ds max / maya.
Then you will need a game engine e.g torque.
ravikanth
Thanks a lot. can we create games with python card? (i am learning python since its easier to learn to start with)
LostOverThere
ParsaAkbari wrote:
To be a games designer first you must learn a launguage such as C++ which i reccomend.
Then you will probably want some sort of 3d graphics designer e.g blender / 3ds max / maya.
Then you will need a game engine e.g torque.

Sure professional game development is almost exclusively done in C++, but you don't need to really know any language at all to design games whatsoever. I'd recommend GameMaker 7.0 for beginners. You don't need to know any programming language, but if you want to expand yourself it supports DLLs as well as GML. It can produce some pretty nice results too, Spirits of Metropolis was fully designed in GameMaker.

Quote:

Thanks a lot. can we create games with python card? (i am learning python since its easier to learn to start with)

Yes, Python can be used to make games.
silverdown
Cool, I might check this program out...

Edit

I actually bought this software it is awsome, whoever after you get use to it and know what everything does it's pretty easy. I do recommend this for anyone who wants to make a simple game or for teens as a gift.
aningbo
tried making a game with game maker some years back out of curiousity. there are loads of open source games availble for gamemaker.

have fun making games... as for me - lots of time wasted hehe
nitro01
How do we get ideas for games... hmm.. well most games are inspired from a number of sources. When it comes to story, movies, books, games or even just music and your imagination are the inspirations. I am guessing you are more asking 'what makes a good game'... that my friend is a very indepth answer so I will go to the basic points:

Something is fun.
Something that has replay value.
Something intriguing / believable.

In order to start you need to decide what type of game (genre ie. adventure, puzzle, shooter). Then you break it down further and further. The more you design a game before you start to program it, the more efficient the process will be and better designed in the long run. Which means clean coding with good game dynamics which is key to a good and fun finished product.

In order to make a good design the best start is to make a GDD (Game Design Document).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design

That is just a basic description.
The GDD will help design your game, but the true ideas and goals have to come from you. You have the create the idea, have to decide what You think is fun and what you believe others will think is fun. You wouldn't want to create games unless you have played them before and were inspired by them to search for a hobby or a job in making games. Your passion / dedication to making a game is required. Your finished product is reflective and determined by your effort put into it.

As for engines, Torque is good if you have at least an intermediate knowledge base in programming, although it is really easy to add in art. I have used it before and made a game, if you want an FPS (first person shooter), Torque has done most of the work for you.

GameMaker is easy for quick and simple games. Perfect for beginners and perfect for quick results. The engine chosen (depending on programming knowledge) can be dependent on the type of game you wish to create (when you get into bigger projects).

It's really hard to say 'what makes a good game', but these are things I work with to make games that I believe are fun.
slashnburn99
cheers lostoverthere

that is great been mumbling about making a game for ages thought i was going down the "C" route etc

gamemaker downloading now
Raidation
Hehe.

I was just about to recommend Game Maker. Already bought it a year ago. Razz

And you should also try Flash. Flash games are the ones you normally see on the web, other than Java ones.
slashnburn99
Well its been a month now using Gamemaker

2 titles would be finished if i could just get over last couple of bugs

Anyone reading this thread should give it a go, you see games in a new light.

Was watching Skate 2 the other day and you realise just how much effort goes into the character and board, let alone anything else.
slashnburn99
Well here it is my first game made with gamemaker

its a pacman clone called

Pacman Generations

where you can Play as Pacman, Ms Pacman or 2 players (1 character each)

Play through 10 levels
(2 original Pacman, 2 Pacman Plus, 2 Ms Pacman & 4 Pacman Championship Edition 2007)

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/90891

Enjoy, if it wasn`t for this thread i would have not lost a month of my life! Laughing
Raidation
And another program, Adobe Flash.

Lots of money.
$_$

You can get your games sponsored for a couple thousand (yes, thousand) a month, I think?
I've finished a game to be sponsored!

MUA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Smile
the zephyrus
Eh, just a heads up. You may be too late for making good money in solo game making. Maybe a decade or more ago, solo game developers could do quite well on shareware, and even commercial games only had like teams of 20 devs. Today, those numbers are more multiplied by up to a 100. You can make great games solo, but the scope and the range you have available is somewhat limited. A lot of stuff requires a lot more manpower to develop. And the money is certainly harder to come by, given what the state of the art has become.
eshazz
I have been using Game Maker 7.0 PRO for about 4 months now. I love it and it is very easy. There is two choices with Game Maker. You can use the drag and drop function or the GML (Game Maker Language) which is more advanced but not really hard.