FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

'My Drawings' by Scott Randell

flyfamilyguy
Hey all!
I am a wanna-be artist sometimes. Meaning that I only get the itch to draw very infrequently. I have to have a lot of time on my hands (of which I rarely get). And then there is the, "MUST HAVE INSPIRATION" factor of which seldom comes. So I don't have much work. In fact what you see is really my ONLY works! Well.,other than the occasional child hood drawings of rocket ships, and airplanes. My father was an artist (not professional.), but he did do some work for profit on a couple of occasions when I was young. I guess that's where I got my aspirations.
I have only really ever been interested in attempts at realistic art. ('Realism') As opposed to 'Abstract' art. People are my subjects of interest when I draw, and I am obsessed with trying to make things look as real as can be on paper. I have failed in that respect, but I still kinda like the results! Smile
The following are 'Life size' drawings on charcoal paper, and not finished. (Probably never will be)

This first one is a 'Self-Portrait' I did using a photograph of, well.,ME of course! Circa 1980's. Using charcoal sticks, and cotton swabs for blending. You will notice the exaggerated eye. This was an accident due to my obsession with trying to give eyes that real, translucent look.

This is a drawing, again done with charcoal/cotton swab of 'Kid Rock'.

This one was my first attempt at using color (Colored Pencil), and a 'Cross Hatching' technique. This is an unfinished portrait of my friends daughter.

And lastly, 'The King' himself, Elvis Presley! This was an experiment with 'Pastel' mixed with charcoal. I didn't like it, so it was never completed.

It would be SO awesome to actually find someone who related to, and admired my technique! THAT would be all the inspiration needed! CYA! Wink
truespeed
I like the Elvis one the best,i like the unfinished quality of it,sometimes people try to add too much to a drawing/painting,they never know when to walk away,i think with the Elvis one you walked away at the right moment.
Fatality
Nice work! Those are excellent drawings. It is one of the talents I wish I had or had more time to spent learning and practicing. Keep up the good work.
ocalhoun
Extremely good. Accurate detail can be mastered by nearly anyone with enough practice, but in all but the third one, you show something more difficult: the ability to draw people in life-like poses, as if not aware at all of being drawn. All too often, people make wonderfully detailed and beautiful drawings of people boringly and blankly staring straight forward into the viewer.

It's fine for the subject to be looking at the viewer, like in the first one, but when the subject's face is directly towards the viewer, it looses dimension and emotional quality.
ravikanth
I have never drawn previously in my life. But I am interested in learning potrait drawing. Can someone give me pointers? I would like to start off with pencil sketching.

By the way what is digi art? I have seen some pictures drawn digitally. How can one do that?

Ravikanth
flyfamilyguy
Thanks to all of you!

'ocalhoun'
Quote:
the ability to draw people in life-like poses, as if not aware at all of being drawn.

This ability that you mention is not something that I consciously use. You could call it 'Divine Intervention', or simply an 'Artistic Fluke'. Either way, I'm not aware of it. However, now that you have brought it to my attention, I am more screwed up than ever! LOL

You see, it's all about 'the flow'; something done naturally. Now it will always be on my mind. THANKS A LOT! LOL Shocked

'truespeed'
Quote:
i like the unfinished quality of it,sometimes people try to add too much to a drawing/painting,they never know when to walk away,i think with the Elvis one you walked away at the right moment.

Walking away from a drawing before you have come to terms with it is nearly impossible! So you just scrap it. But that's the beauty of different strokes for different folks. Looks like trash to one man, and art to another.
Lucy
Amazing work! Great job on Picture two ! Just another thing to add to my list of what I dont have.
flyfamilyguy
Lucy wrote:
Amazing work! Great job on Picture two ! Just another thing to add to my list of what I dont have.

Hi Lucy, thank you!
My kid rock portrait is yours if you want it! (Of course it would be a poster size copy of the original)
No charge! I see it like this. The more that my work gets out there, the easier it will become to establish my work in the art world. If your friends were to see it hanging on your wall, and they liked it, well then they could always purchase a second edition. YOU would have the FIRST edition!
Send me a PM if you are interested.

Just tossing around an idea. Hope this doesn't come off as 'Spamming'. I apologize to everyone in advance if it does.
mgeek
Man, you have the makings of an artist. Nice work with -- is that pencil?
flyfamilyguy
mgeek wrote:
Man, you have the makings of an artist. Nice work with -- is that pencil?

Thanks man! They were done with charcoal branches. Accept the one in color
Gagnar The Unruly
ravikanth wrote:
I have never drawn previously in my life. But I am interested in learning potrait drawing. Can someone give me pointers? I would like to start off with pencil sketching.

By the way what is digi art? I have seen some pictures drawn digitally. How can one do that?

Ravikanth

Just start sketching! No pointers required. Draw things that interest you. If you are serious, taking a class is a good idea, if it's an option.
prithvi
Some very good artwork you have there.

Wish I had good traditional art skills like yours.
hamza1122
woah nice. i did a real drawing of a newspaper article image which looked pretty cool.
laurenrox
I like your work... definately good... but i do see one or two problem areas... in the first three, it looks like you dont put quiet enough shading in the faces... and in the first one the eyes are a little bit too large and the face too long in general... Other than that they are great tho... I DEFINATELY LOVE THE LAST ONE! it's perfect, and I wouldn't change a thing...

ELVIS IS AWESOME!
Asap170
The "Kid Rock" is insane! Do you think I can download it and use it as the background of my computer. Because that picture is amazing!

Keep up the great work!
Mrs Lycos
wow they are so good, i liked the one is you and the elvis one . and the others two are so good too!
To tell you the true they maked me remember of my fathers drawing couse when i saw them i thinked so cool! wanna draw like this! Same here guy Wanna draw like u some time! u have got talent!
Kashinilaya
Very good work. You don't need to want to be an artist... you're already a very good one!
The_Pwner
I never had enough time to invest for drawing...
gueda
OMG! Defintely, you have talent!! I never saw draws like that. I love it, you are awesome man!

Long life for your great work!
Congrats

EDIT: how do you made that effect in elvis hair? Is like him have life and not a simple draw.
I think the best of all draw is your self draw, have a lots of details, very cool
hamza1122
Nice! These artworks are great. I just completed an A2 Tonal Drawing using graphite for my Year 10 Project. First Attempt ever and it turned out great. mine, along with 2 of my friends, got hanged in the school auditorium with all the other cool artworks. When it gets hanged in our auditorium, you know that your work is good. So i was very proud! My year 7 artworks also got hanged there but they got moved after near our school office! =]