FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DEPRESSION

andysart380
My Name is andy...i am 18 years old and i have one friend, no girlfriend nobody to talk to ever and i think that killing myself would be so much easier than living any longer....

I Went to the doctor today for the other issue i posted on and she said my depression is why i wasn't eating most likely...and she said i am severely depressed and i should be on medication or see someone for help..i told her no.

im so lost and im tired of being confused i've been getting closer and closer to actually doing it lately... so someone out there let me know im not the only person they want to classify as chemically imbalanced and let me know how you deal with it because i refuse to be on medication this is how god made me he made me a sad person for a reason i just haven't figured it out yet.
HamsterMan
Just hang in there Andy.

Being a teenager can be so very hard, but please don't let yourself be pulled down. Whenever you focus on negative thoughts they will get worse and worse in your head until even small problems might seem like the end of the world. Instead break free of your thought patterns and start focusing on what goes right in your life. In time everything will make perfect sense.

For me the high school years were the worst in my life. Being separated from all my elementary school friends and not being able to make new ones, being ridiculed because I was fat, and having to deal with an alcoholic father. I later developed a severe case of hypochondria and started getting panic attacks because I kept focusing on the tiniest of problems. Ay the power of ones thoughts can be scary indeed.

Still it's great that you want to talk about this.
biljap
Just be brave Andy, you can always find someone to talk to about your problems.
I know how you feel, I’ve been there… And I know how hard it is to make yourself do something during the day but trust me, give your best to find something you would like to learn or some hobby and think about that. Find a group with people who share similar interests (I don’t think only on Internet groups, being in contact with people live is very important).

That would be my advice. Don’t be alone, focus your thoughts on some positive things and go to the doctor regularly. Don’t be afraid to talk about things that make you feel bad, it would be worse if you keep it inside of you.
8166UY
See it from the bright side: life only can get better. Killing yourself has no use. Talk with people about your problem and try to put your frustration into school and stuff so the rest of your life can be great.
peaceupnorth
I've been there too man, but it all passes.

Whenever it seems darkest, just remind yourself "this too shall pass".

I'm so glad I didn't kill myself. After high school things just kept getting better and better and better. Some downs too, but mostly ups. I couldn't find a girlfriend either. For the longest time they'd just ignore me, it felt terrible. But I started relaxing, making a life for myself, doing meditation, and volunteering in the community. I never expected it, but I found someone perfect for me.

Remember "this too shall pass"....
deanhills
andysart380 wrote:
I Went to the doctor today for the other issue i posted on and she said my depression is why i wasn't eating most likely...and she said i am severely depressed and i should be on medication or see someone for help..i told her no.

You have to listen to your doctor Andy. You have to get help, and most of all you have to take medication. Depression changes completely how you look at life and is responsible for your "no" to the doctor. How can you even contemplate of thinking positively about something, when your brain's chemistry is out of sync. Obviously you need help and this lady doctor hopefully referred you to someone who can help you. If you do not want to see that person, find someone else, but it is very urgent that you do something as soon as possible as it can only get worse.

By the way, taking Ibuprofen when you are depressed and not eating is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. You genuinely need to find a good doctor to help you get the right medication. If you are not happy with the doctor the lady doctor referred to you, find someone else. And also remember, there is nothing wrong with you as a person and it is not your fault. You have something wrong with the chemistry in your brain, and there are people who can help you get it fixed. They can also prescribe a good diet for you, but more than the diet, you have to get the medication first, and check that it is working for you. Once it has taken effect, and you start to get interested to eat again, it would be good to eat plenty of high-protein foods, low in sugar and starch, and also lots of oily fish and extra fish oil. Fatty acids in the diet of the right kind are apparently good for depression. Plenty of exercise in fresh air, the kind that is enjoyable such as playing tennis or football, etc. But the right medication is your first priority. Don't delay, you have to get to a doctor that can help you as soon as possible.
HamsterMan
deanhills wrote:

You have to listen to your doctor Andy. You have to get help, and most of all you have to take medication. Depression changes completely how you look at life and is responsible for your "no" to the doctor. How can you even contemplate of thinking positively about something, when your brain's chemistry is out of sync. Obviously you need help and this lady doctor hopefully referred you to someone who can help you. If you do not want to see that person, find someone else, but it is very urgent that you do something as soon as possible as it can only get worse.

By the way, taking Ibuprofen when you are depressed and not eating is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. You genuinely need to find a good doctor to help you get the right medication. If you are not happy with the doctor the lady doctor referred to you, find someone else. And also remember, there is nothing wrong with you as a person and it is not your fault. You have something wrong with the chemistry in your brain, and there are people who can help you get it fixed. They can also prescribe a good diet for you, but more than the diet, you have to get the medication first, and check that it is working for you. Once it has taken effect, and you start to get interested to eat again, it would be good to eat plenty of high-protein foods, low in sugar and starch, and also lots of oily fish and extra fish oil. Fatty acids in the diet of the right kind are apparently good for depression. Plenty of exercise in fresh air, the kind that is enjoyable such as playing tennis or football, etc. But the right medication is your first priority. Don't delay, you have to get to a doctor that can help you as soon as possible.

Not saying that people shouldn't take antidepressants, just that you should be careful and consider your options (as you said exercise, change of diet and getting more sunlight) before taking antidepressants. There is a lot of controversy around antidepressants, for example that they don't work any better than a placebo and that they can cause severe withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them abruptly. But if you feel that you need them please visit your doctor again.
deanhills
HamsterMan wrote:
Not saying that people shouldn't take antidepressants, just that you should be careful and consider your options (as you said exercise, change of diet and getting more sunlight) before taking antidepressants. There is a lot of controversy around antidepressants, for example that they don't work any better than a placebo and that they can cause severe withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them abruptly. But if you feel that you need them please visit your doctor again.
The suggestion was not to go out and take anti-depressants. The suggestion was to go and get treatment from a medical professional, which will include medication, that is quite different. Depression is quite an awful thing and it definitely needs treatment by a medical practitioner. Someone who is an expert in treating depression.

I totally disagree that antidepressants may work no better than placebos. That depends on whether you were prescribed the right antidepressant in conjunction with the right treatment. Possibly you will have to experiment too and that is why it should be under the supervision of an expert. Depression is not something that should be messed around with. When someone says they are in trouble, then everyone should encourage them to get medical treatment. Depending on the specific situation, antidepressants need not be long term either, just enough to get the person out of the depression so that they can work with it for the longer term. If they are depressed, it is much more difficult to do things to get out of depression on their own.
HamsterMan
deanhills wrote:
The suggestion was not to go out and take anti-depressants. The suggestion was to go and get treatment from a medical professional, which will include medication, that is quite different. Depression is quite an awful thing and it definitely needs treatment by a medical practitioner. Someone who is an expert in treating depression.

I totally disagree that antidepressants may work no better than placebos. That depends on whether you were prescribed the right antidepressant in conjunction with the right treatment. Possibly you will have to experiment too and that is why it should be under the supervision of an expert. Depression is not something that should be messed around with. When someone says they are in trouble, then everyone should encourage them to get medical treatment. Depending on the specific situation, antidepressants need not be long term either, just enough to get the person out of the depression so that they can work with it for the longer term. If they are depressed, it is much more difficult to do things to get out of depression on their own.

Here are some sources on the placebo controversy.
http://www.apa.org/monitor/mar02/placebo.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article3434486.ece

Well I have to disagree with your stance on depression as a condition/disease to be treated. Everyone gets depressed now and then and it usually is for a good reason. To say that depression is just another condition to treat is to trivialize the human mind into syndromes and disorders. People are depressed and most get over it, but if someone really do have a some sort of a chemical imbalance then taking anti-depressants themselves will still not correct it. Still I agree that they might be useful to help a person break out of depression.
deanhills
HamsterMan wrote:
Well I have to disagree with your stance on depression as a condition/disease to be treated. Everyone gets depressed now and then and it usually is for a good reason. To say that depression is just another condition to treat is to trivialize the human mind into syndromes and disorders. People are depressed and most get over it, but if someone really do have a some sort of a chemical imbalance then taking anti-depressants themselves will still not correct it. Still I agree that they might be useful to help a person break out of depression.
Perhaps the seriousness of the depression is for a medical practitioner decide. andysart380 indicated in the opening posting of this thread that his doctor had indicated that he was seriously depressed and needed medication. My comments were based on that.
andysart380 wrote:
My Name is andy...i am 18 years old and i have one friend, no girlfriend nobody to talk to ever and i think that killing myself would be so much easier than living any longer....

im so lost and im tired of being confused i've been getting closer and closer to actually doing it lately... so someone out there let me know im not the only person they want to classify as chemically imbalanced and let me know how you deal with it because i refuse to be on medication this is how god made me he made me a sad person for a reason i just haven't figured it out yet.

I have had two friends with the exact same symptoms, who took medication and are better for it. Their recommendation through experience is that you cannot help yourself out of depression (along the serious ones that andysart380 described) without professional assistance. I think I also mentioned that the medication need not be taken for the long term. Again, that is for a medical practitioner to advise. Serious depression as described by andysart380 is not to be played around with. It is completely debilitating, puts you down and out.
imera
people are different, while some people might overcome it themselves others might need medication. I became better after I started to draw, write and other things that kept me going, I am a pretty creative and found it helping me because I was thinking less about things that normally made me sad.
silverdown
First off do not harm yourself, even though i do not know you i do care about your safety. You can consider me a friend, pen-pal, or even a forum buddy. There are tough times in life you just need to find a strong enough rope and get over the wall or walls. Find counselors or doctors to help you out and accept the meds. Taking meds doesn't make you any less valuable to the world. Think about it, after you get over this wall you could end up helping someone with the same problem or even yet save there life!

Your Friend/Pen-pal/Forum Buddy ~ Silverdown.
andysart380
i still have good days here and there...today is a good day.... it's sunny... and im going out to detail my truck....so today not a negative thought yet....everyone's advice has helped but Imera is right....everyone has their own ways of overcoming it.. i still refuse to take pills and am seeking other methods.. like activities / sports / and my new favorite...photography...wich seems to be going very well ive already been hired for some horse shows and that made me feel very good about myself because not just anyone takes the pictures at a horse show its a pretty important and high paying thing.

SO TODAY IS A GOOD DAY

ill fill you all in if my mood drops again suddenly.

I Appreciate all the help
Diablosblizz
Glad to hear that you had (not sure what time it is) a good day Andy! Keep in there buddy! So you like modifying your truck, that's a great hobby to relieve stress and possibly bring happiness. In my opinion, not sure if it's the same for you, I always feel proud of what I have done after I've worked on it for a while. I know I'm horrible and trying to get somebodies spirits up but believe me it will all just pass! Don't ever let anybody put you down, or make you feel unwelcome. It's happened to me, and probably everybody else, and it's a horrible horrible feeling. And hey, if you ever want to talk to somebody just post here! Smile

I, and I'm sure everybody else here, hope you have a good day. Smile
andysart380
yes it makes me feel great to put stuff on my truck....its only a dakota v6 but its pristine clean and runs better than a new truck... i bought blue halo headlights..new taillights and a touchscreen for the dash.. i'll send pictures when its all installed
AND WHO SAID MONEY DOESNT BRING HAPPINESS?
8166UY
It doesn't bring happiness, but it surely makes it a lot easier to get some!

I'm glad you seem to be a bit more positive lately. Keep up the good work. Wink
deanhills
andysart380 wrote:
yes it makes me feel great to put stuff on my truck....its only a dakota v6 but its pristine clean and runs better than a new truck... i bought blue halo headlights..new taillights and a touchscreen for the dash.. i'll send pictures when its all installed
AND WHO SAID MONEY DOESNT BRING HAPPINESS?
Good stuff. Great you are up and about. Awesome truck. Look forward to the pictures Smile
loveandormoney
andysart380 wrote:

This was written 3 years ago.
Do You feel better now?